Retiring Soon - open speculation

24 minutes ago, Yellow Castle said:

Oh I see, thank you. I’m surprised at some of the Ninjago as expected older movie sets to go (e.g. bounty) but maybe they are to come later.

They reduce the sub primes first as the more popular sets will sell themselves out at full price this time of year, especially with the promo.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
25 minutes ago, Yellow Castle said:

Oh I see, thank you. I’m surprised at some of the Ninjago as expected older movie sets to go (e.g. bounty) but maybe they are to come later.

I think the DB is here for the long haul as it's really popular and superb value for money, even at RRP. I'd expect it to be around well into 2020.

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think the DB is here for the long haul as it's really popular and superb value for money, even at RRP. I'd expect it to be around well into 2020.

I reckon it retires with City and Docks whenever that may be.  Ninjago Movie is forgotten by now so I wouldn´t give them more than a year.

59 minutes ago, Val-E said:

20% off during the main selling season is the best retiring tag you can hope for.

This information has zero value for us... Just standard sets are in sale, in which we can often expect 2 years lifetime and has low investment potential. We need such tag for exclusive sets...

That list from Austrian guy is usefull, but I am not sure whether is right - why would the TLG send such information about retirement just to 1 store, without official annnouncement through its web site with "retiring soon" tag? Maybe its an initiative of somebody from the store and it could be on the same level of "one employee said me". Very strange is that they put a tag on Brick Bank, although no one other source is confirming this - contrary to this, other sources + lifetime logic prefer PR to retire...

Guest TabbyBoy
16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I reckon it retires with City and Docks whenever that may be.  Ninjago Movie is forgotten by now so I wouldn´t give them more than a year.

The DB appeals to ship collectors and fans of oriental architecture and boats, you don't have to be a Ninjago fan (I'm not) to love this ship ?. It's certainly one of the biggest/heaviest boxes I've seen for £109.99. I just hope it doesn't bomb like the Sea Cow did.

2 hours ago, fantomas007 said:

This information has zero value for us... Just standard sets are in sale, in which we can often expect 2 years lifetime and has low investment potential. We need such tag for exclusive sets...

That list from Austrian guy is usefull, but I am not sure whether is right - why would the TLG send such information about retirement just to 1 store, without official annnouncement through its web site with "retiring soon" tag? Maybe its an initiative of somebody from the store and it could be on the same level of "one employee said me". Very strange is that they put a tag on Brick Bank, although no one other source is confirming this - contrary to this, other sources + lifetime logic prefer PR to retire...

I'm at the Lego store today and will check whether there are retirement tag differences between the last time and today. I'm not sure if I will be able to make pictures but I'll keep you informed. Maybe the Brick Bank is tagged by mistake?! I can't imagine that it will be gone that soon. Otherwise nobody knows what the new Lego boss' strategy is - maybe they'll retire the modular line and going heavy on Overwatch?! *lol* "Lego: simply impossible" ?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Ferris Wheel dance has begun. TOOS US and Canada. Just a few left at target. I'm mostly down on big sets but like this one. 

$10 off at the big three, target adds the gift card. 

It's rumoured in the UK too:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-sets-retiring-soon-for-2018/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegoEverlasting-LegoReviewsNews+(The+Brick+Fan+-+LEGO+Reviews+%26+News)

But, discounts have been poor in the UK and every man and his dog have been talking about it, so I'll pass. However, it also states that Women of NASA is on the list so that'll be a good test I think - can't wait.

18 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-sets-retiring-soon-for-2018/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegoEverlasting-LegoReviewsNews+(The+Brick+Fan+-+LEGO+Reviews+%26+News)

But, discounts have been poor in the UK and every man and his dog have been talking about it, so I'll pass. However, it also states that Women of NASA is on the list so that'll be a good test I think - can't wait.

You mean Research Institute 2.0? 

7 hours ago, marcandre said:

Ferris Wheel dance has begun. TOOS US and Canada. Just a few left at target. I'm mostly down on big sets but like this one. 

$10 off at the big three, target adds the gift card. 

You can be down on this one, that would mean less profit for you EOL if you don't clean this one out. It's not like this set lasted forever like the Tower Bridge.
For sure this one is a winner if it retires this year.

9 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think most of you just degraded into some solid financial ROI calculations how much that certain / any set could bring me in.. totally forgetting the very aspect of every single LEGO set.. its not about the lowest buy-in but most of all about the appeal of the set, creativity, likeleness, playability.. most of the buyers are parents getting those for the kids and not some fancy collectors (speaking of the regular themes, not UCSs and such)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
11 hours ago, crayxlp said:

I think most of you just degraded into some solid financial ROI calculations how much that certain / any set could bring me in.. totally forgetting the very aspect of every single LEGO set.. its not about the lowest buy-in but most of all about the appeal of the set, creativity, likeleness, playability.. most of the buyers are parents getting those for the kids and not some fancy collectors (speaking of the regular themes, not UCSs and such)

There's a lot of factors to consider and nobody has crystal balls. In the old days, it was quoted on here... "50% of LEGO is a definite buy!" which is no longer the case. A turkey at 50% off is still a turkey. I run my own sign business, a good margin is imperative. As always, time will tell who's right and who's wrong. However, the guy who only has a 25% margin still won't be wrong.

Hi, Long time listener first time caller as they say ?

My general rule of thumb is sell for 50% more than I bought....this then gives me a healthy profit after all costs and taxes. My aim was always to just get a better return then interest rates, ISA's etc. Generally this means selling after retirement having bought for at least 33% off RRP in the first place and then wait for price to reach the point I need...

when I started this my crystal ball was saying (naively) Star Wars, dc, marvel and those larger modular sets...that was 2-3 years ago...

Having a son who got me into lego meant I focussed in this area but it is not the case as far as winners... I am sure you all have your stories of surprising sales when it comes to themes...but for me its Friends, Elves (with dragons), medium creator sets, some Technic, and Speed Champions (people love those cars!). Some other obvious (with hindsight!) winners for me were Jurassic World/Park, Wall-e, Scooby Doo... You could of bought the larger JP sets at RRP and still made good money I feel.

As for a turkey at 50% is still a turkey...I tend to agree but with some hesitation. Angry Birds at 50% off looked like a dead duck, but I am now seeing some healthy returns on the Castle and Ship, so that was a surprise. I guess kids still watch and play them so you still have new audiences to attract.

Anyway, a few thoughts from someone who still feels very much a newbie at this though with a few learnings along the way!

?

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

A turkey at 50% off is still a turkey.

As the Sith Infiltrators, Resistance Troop Transporters, Encounter on Jakku, and Vader's TIE Advanced vs A-Wing in my inventory are all proving... :P 

Especially Resistance Troop Transporter, retired nearly 2 years ago, still isn't selling, even at the same 50% off I got it for. 

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, Haay said:

As the Sith Infiltrators, Resistance Troop Transporters, Encounter on Jakku, and Vader's TIE Advanced vs A-Wing in my inventory are all proving... :P 

Especially Resistance Troop Transporter, retired nearly 2 years ago, still isn't selling, even at the same 50% off I got it for. 

Since the struggle of 10240 Red 5, I've avoided all Star Wars sets unless they're 75% off. There's too much crap and lazy rehashes in this theme now, hardly anything is iconic. A theme and a movie franchise that has overstayed its welcome IMHO. As for the 75192 UCS MF, what a half-arsed monstrosity of a set, just look at the floppy arse on it! 10179 was far better.

Guest TabbyBoy
55 minutes ago, barneyman said:

Hi, Long time listener first time caller as they say ?

My general rule of thumb is sell for 50% more than I bought....this then gives me a healthy profit after all costs and taxes. My aim was always to just get a better return then interest rates, ISA's etc. Generally this means selling after retirement having bought for at least 33% off RRP in the first place and then wait for price to reach the point I need...

when I started this my crystal ball was saying (naively) Star Wars, dc, marvel and those larger modular sets...that was 2-3 years ago...

Having a son who got me into lego meant I focussed in this area but it is not the case as far as winners... I am sure you all have your stories of surprising sales when it comes to themes...but for me its Friends, Elves (with dragons), medium creator sets, some Technic, and Speed Champions (people love those cars!). Some other obvious (with hindsight!) winners for me were Jurassic World/Park, Wall-e, Scooby Doo... You could of bought the larger JP sets at RRP and still made good money I feel.

As for a turkey at 50% is still a turkey...I tend to agree but with some hesitation. Angry Birds at 50% off looked like a dead duck, but I am now seeing some healthy returns on the Castle and Ship, so that was a surprise. I guess kids still watch and play them so you still have new audiences to attract.

Anyway, a few thoughts from someone who still feels very much a newbie at this though with a few learnings along the way!

?

Elves has been my biggest money-maker for the last 2 years, a superb and original theme that's been overlooked by so many. I've been in the game for a long time and I still have a lot to learn and always will. I don't have the highest of margins, but I do sell in quantity and fast. 50x WALL-E being collected tonight! ?

1 hour ago, Haay said:

75150 is annoying. The problem isn't that people don't want them, it's that TLG made enough of them to stack to the moon. I don't know what they were thinking making so many at once, and even more incomprehensible is how quickly they retired it, especially with so many left. Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.
qzrvj5q96ciy.jpg