Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

John Lewis still have 820 of this set, I'd proceed with caution. They are selling at a rate of about 20 per month which means this set will be on their website for another 3 and a half years. I would wait to see what john lewis do, this set could get reduced to around 30 quid.

It's possible they will just keep this set available whilst there are other hobbit sets to sell. You wont get more than 60 quid for it for a while.

They have 820 at

So I took all of your advice and pulled the trigger on a HD set on EBay. It is open and used but seller claims it is 99.9% complete. From the pics it looked fine. I can handle picking up a few pieces online if need be.

It also came with Uruk-Hai army, Shelob set, all minifigs for those 3, plus all the minifigs (no set) from mines of moria.

I figure I might be able to sell the cave troll minifig and a few others and at least make back a little cash. Altogether, the lot was $152 plus $17 shipping.

Okay deal for my personal collection, you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Because so many people have Helms Deeps, Orc Forges, Weathertops, etc..... I'm only investing in the Tower of Orthanc and mine are al first edition with the poster. I actually returned the 10 Pirate Ships that I bought last week.

Oh dear, we can't have that kind of comment here, next you'll be telling us how hard done by the little kiddie winks are because someone already got the free polybags from the paper by buying 50 papers and getting 50 lego toys, then perching up at some park bench, cutting out the vouchers and hopping on the train to the next town handing over the said 50 cut out vouchers and getting another 50 lego toys.

And at both stores, you tell the shop assistant "they miss counted" and they hand over a few more.

And them selling them to a German at a 600% mark up.

And then using that money to take a holiday sitting in the sun sipping beer.

P.S  I have fed an Asian family for the last 2 and a half years by selling lego.  I'm hoping my investing will get them out of the jungle into a house one day.

• Like 2

Oh dear, we can't have that kind of comment here, next you'll be telling us how hard done by the little kiddie winks are because someone already got the free polybags from the paper by buying 50 papers and getting 50 lego toys, then perching up at some park bench, cutting out the vouchers and hopping on the train to the next town handing over the said 50 cut out vouchers and getting another 50 lego toys.

And at both stores, you tell the shop assistant "they miss counted" and they hand over a few more.

And them selling them to a German at a 600% mark up.

And then using that money to take a holiday sitting in the sun sipping beer.

P.S I have fed an Asian family for the last 2 and a half years by selling lego. I'm hoping my investing will get them out of the jungle into a house one day.

Sorry, what was I thinking. Moaning about investment on a board for investors! A "delete post" option would be good on this board...

What about 79014 Dol Guldur Battle. It has Azog, Necromancer and Radagast, all unique mini figs. Not to mention Gandalf and some more orcs. I bought one on discount on Amazon and I think it has potential. It was one of the coolest scenes in the movie and I think will be remembered fondly. Thoughts? Am I an idiot?

What about 79014 Dol Guldur Battle. It has Azog, Necromancer and Radagast, all unique mini figs. Not to mention Gandalf and some more orcs. I bought one on discount on Amazon and I think it has potential. It was one of the coolest scenes in the movie and I think will be remembered fondly. Thoughts? Am I an idiot?

I think you're right on in your analysis of the figs! As far as hobbit sets go, should be a decent one...only caveat is that I would only buy at 20+% off...

---Keep it secret. Keep it safe.---

Because so many people have Helms Deeps, Orc Forges, Weathertops, etc..... I'm only investing in the Tower of Orthanc and mine are al first edition with the poster. I actually returned the 10 Pirate Ships that I bought last week.

Interesting strategy.  What makes you think most of those same people or even more (because Orthanc is a great set, clearly the best LotR/hobbit set of them all) won't have an Orthanc or 20 for investment by the time it goes EOL?

Is the 1st edition with the poster worth more now?  I have no idea, genuinely curious. 

What makes it a first edition? Is the upc different? Item number? As i recall nothing makes it different. The poster was included if you purchased early as a vip, which i did. The latter ones i ordered all look exactly the same. I know that 10179 actually came with a certificate which is very different than the poster.

Finally saw some clearance deals at the first Kmart i have been inside this century.

Goblin Kings for and pirate ambush's for $60.  Picked up 3 of the PA's wasn't sure about the goblin kings - is 63ish an ok price point for goblin king?

O.K which one? I've been sitting on a few Kmarts in our area waiting on 50% off. Still a good deal at 30%. Please you would be saving me a trip.