Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

I was wondering what others thoughts were to the hobbit sets from last year.  I personally like them, but more so because of the book/movie and them falling into the fantasy genre.  I have some of each set tucked away, but am at a crossroads.  Our local Wallyworld has 79000 riddles, 79001 spiders, and 79002 wargs at 60% off.  Like I said I have some of each but am wondering if it is worth it to tie up more funds on these.  I personally feel that the wargs one will always hold retail if not a little more do to the fact of the selection.  The riddles I am thinking is great for a few, but not going to be a real winner since no exclusive figs in it.  It is the spider set I cant figure out.  Part of me thinks was real fun build when it was full retail and had 3 exclusive figures, plus the colors, and the two spiders.  I also think with the next movie it will be more appreciated then it is now.  I Guess I am looking for advice on what others would do.  I have 6 of these already and that is fine, but for $12 I could load up and wait.  Really not sure.

Deeker, I've seen that the Wargs set is NOT holding retail currently.  I've got a few listed on eBay under $40 (includes shipping!) and none have moved yet.  I get about 2 views per day, and no one is following the listing.  No one is buying this set at retail on eBay.

Now after it retires it may hit retail again, but I think the set is overproduced and overpriced, and outside of the figs/wargs, this set is really marginal - just a tree and two connecting rocks, and some fire clusters.  And what I thought would be the most appealing figure, Thorin Oakenshield, will now be available in one of the new Hobbit sets, Lake Town Chase.  I think the long term prospects for this set are shaky, but you never know. 

At 60% off, your best bet is probably to part it out, or save it.

Deeker, I've seen that the Wargs set is NOT holding retail currently.  I've got a few listed on eBay under $40 (includes shipping!) and none have moved yet.  I get about 2 views per day, and no one is following the listing.  No one is buying this set at retail on eBay.

Now after it retires it may hit retail again, but I think the set is overproduced and overpriced, and outside of the figs/wargs, this set is really marginal - just a tree and two connecting rocks, and some fire clusters.  And what I thought would be the most appealing figure, Thorin Oakenshield, will now be available in one of the new Hobbit sets, Lake Town Chase.  I think the long term prospects for this set are shaky, but you never know. 

At 60% off, your best bet is probably to part it out, or save it.

Funny... tree parts are my favorites..... I love making more trees....

• Like 1

The riddles I am thinking is great for a few, but not going to be a real winner since no exclusive figs in it. 

This version of Gollum is exclusive to the set.  It has a (slightly) different printing than the one in Shelob Attacks.  I'm sure there are plenty of OCD collectors out there who will have to get both versions ;)

Not sure about Hobbit sets, but I had the same problem with Attack on Weathertop (not really a Hobbit set, but LOTR).  I put mine up on ebay at $59 shipped for several weeks and none got sold.  Personally I thought the price was pretty excellent.  Now I have taken the listing off ebay and I will hold them until I see some serious demands first.

I agree on the warg set now with the one figure being produced again.  My only thought was after retires, that people may want to the orcs and wargs.  I know an expensive army builder, but I still think that the set will be retail at least once retired.  The tree is blah, but if parted out could be a win win for everyone at right price.  I have 8 on shelf and am fine with that.  For $18 worse case is I make my money back in a year after fees and shipping. Best case is i make a few bucks and move on to the next purchase.  

I think your Weathertop is a winner down the road.  Very nice build and great figures.  I personally think that set was overlooked and bashed for price.  But once retired and more people are exposed they will want to have this neat one up on a shelf for their collection.  

I agree on the warg set now with the one figure being produced again.  My only thought was after retires, that people may want to the orcs and wargs.  I know an expensive army builder, but I still think that the set will be retail at least once retired.  The tree is blah, but if parted out could be a win win for everyone at right price.  I have 8 on shelf and am fine with that.  For $18 worse case is I make my money back in a year after fees and shipping. Best case is i make a few bucks and move on to the next purchase.  

To your point, the $18 price point will allow you to make money no matter what you do!  The few AoW I got were $18.50, so we're nearly in the same boat with these.  I parted one out and most of the figs have sold (only Yazneg and Bifur remain).  The tree/rocks also sold for cheap, but they sold.

I am thinking about parting more of these out - I have the listings ready to go, so it wouldn't be too hard.  Good luck with your selling!

Not sure about Hobbit sets, but I had the same problem with Attack on Weathertop (not really a Hobbit set, but LOTR).  I put mine up on ebay at $59 shipped for several weeks and none got sold.  Personally I thought the price was pretty excellent.  Now I have taken the listing off ebay and I will hold them until I see some serious demands first.

I believe that was its reatail. You can get them for $50 total easy on Ebay, so thats why.

A bunch of people got tons of them at $40 at walmarts. I bought 15.

The mirkwood spiders set is one to keep an eye on. I am personally betting big on that one. It is a preview set from the second movie so I feel that once people see that scene it will cause alot of demand for it....either that or I am going to end up with an army of spiders lol.

As others have said....at 60% off you almost can't lose...especially with a theme as popular as LOTR....

• 2 months later...

Both themes in their entirety should do decently well (possibly with the exeptions of Goblin King, Riddles of the Ring, and Gandalf Arrives). I`d bet the most on all 3 that Bold Arrow mentioned.

HD / tower of orthanc / pirate ship ambush should do pretty well

I`d go one step further and say that they will do quite well. All are large, highly attractive, highly desired, contain exclusive minifigures, and are part of a licensed theme. Two words: Cha-Ching! :money: Just a matter of time  :thumbsup:

I'm personally sticking to wave one sets at the moment - Orthanc will likely be around until the license is finished and the pirate ship will likely be around for the holidays in 2014, so no need to tie up $$ unless you get a really good deal.  I know some of the wave one sets are getting hard to find, but that means you just need to look harder ;)