Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

we'll prob get more action-themed sets (like weathertop and helm's deep) with sets released for the 2nd & 3rd hobbit films.

i do think that with the addition of LOTR's pirate ship, blakc gate, and the tower of orthanc, lego hobbit's designers might want kick it up a notch with set design and element counts.

I hope they do like Emeril and 'kick it up a notch' with The Hobbit. It will be hard to compete with The Tower of Orthanc and Pirate Ship Ambush but that should make them even more determined to come out with something equally epic for The Hobbit!

• 3 weeks later...

The first wave of LOTR sets might go EOL first, but if the Hobbit sets go EOL when a second wave comes out for the next movie - this December- they will have been on the market a shorter amount of time, which likely means less people own them for play==== increased demand for investor sold sets.

I think it is still a little too early to call this one.  Despite some underwhelming reviews of the first Hobbit movie, the fact that there are still two movies on the horizon bodes well.  I also think the trailer for the Desolation of Smaug looks pretty badass.  The first movie did exceptionally well in theaters (over 1 billion if I read that right on wikipedia) and if the next two pull similar numbers the popularity of some of these sets should increase.

That being said, the second & third wave need at least a couple of larger, more prestigious sets to really compete. 

Time will tell.

Both of these lines will do well. I mean it's LOTR! This stuff is all going to be worth fistfuls of money after the liscense is dead and gone. I am this close to keeping one sealed box of each set for myself.

That said, it's obvious The Hobbit sets are going to be worth less. Can you imagine how similar the first wave of LOTR would've been if they only pulled from the first movie?

Here's hoping we get a badass Smaug set out of the next movie, and that another film drives LOTR line sales even more for the holidays.

Both of these lines will do well. I mean it's LOTR! This stuff is all going to be worth fistfuls of money after the liscense is dead and gone.

It does seem weird to pick one specifically since, as you said, both are part of Tolkien's legendarium (I love that word) meaning they are one and the same. Consider this, Gandalf Arrives is from the LotR theme and An Unexpected Gathering is from The Hobbit theme, yet you need both to complete the scene from The Fellowship of the Rings!

Plus unless you are planning on buying the very rare Frodo with Cooking Corner polybag, you have to buy Gandalf Arrives for that particular Frodo minifigure. That one is not available in any other set.

It does seem weird to pick one specifically since, as you said, both are part of Tolkien's legendarium (I love that word) meaning they are one and the same. Consider this, Gandalf Arrives is from the LotR theme and An Unexpected Gathering is from The Hobbit theme, yet you need both to complete the scene from The Fellowship of the Rings!

Plus unless you are planning on buying the very rare Frodo with Cooking Corner polybag, you have to buy Gandalf Arrives for the Frodo minifigure. That one is not available in any other set.

Wait, are you saying for that specific version of Frodo? Isn't Frodo in Shelob Attacks -and- Attack on Weathertop? Or....is my coffee not working.

The frodo you guys are talking about the sand green, capeless Frodo. Guys are trying to confuse me...

Sorry about the confusion. Yeah, I meant this Frodo in the Gandalf Arrives set and polybag mentioned earlier.

gure_1.jpg

Not the one in Shelob Attacks and Attack on Weathertop with a different (brown) torso.

tail_2.jpg

I edited my other post slightly to hopefully avoid further confusion; wouldn't want anyone's head to blow up. Ha ha.

(I already used the Scanners clip so can't use that again.)

I just saw The Hobbit for the first time this past weekend, and all I have to say is WOW.  Maybe it was people saying it wasn't very good, but I loved every bit of it.  I understand that LOTR is a more popular series, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest of the movies in the new trilogy be even better.  I know most here will disagree with me, but I thought the movie was perfect.  I can officially say I will be collecting the entire LOTR/The Hobbit line.

I really enjoyed the movie as well.  I think my expectations were about right and they were met.  It is more of a kids book and that translated into the movie.  Those who don't know that or are expecting just a LOTR prequel may have felt a little underwhelmed.

I like the look of the trailer for the 2nd movie as well.  Looks like it gets more action.  That's kind of the same arc that the LOTR trilogy took as well, with the Fellowship being the intro movie before 2 and 3 knocked it out of the park.

LOTR seems to be the better investment with the bad reviews the Hobbit movie got. The CAGR for the Hobbit sets is not optimistic right now, but I hope they will gain value after they retire.

I think main problem of Hobbit atm, is the fact still 2 movies are to be released...

so I think hobbit will pick alot of pace after 2nd movie... and might outrival LOTR ...

I always considered these to go hand in hand. I know technically The Hobbit is a new trilogy, but it really seems to be tying in to the LOTR even moreso then the book.  (the inclusion of the Necromancer as a MAIN PROTAGONIST is what I mean).  If they decide to do a large scale set of Erobor (not sure how to spell it... you know the Lonely Mountiain where the dwarves lived) and include Smaug.  Well...that might be the best set out there.

I always considered these to go hand in hand. I know technically The Hobbit is a new trilogy, but it really seems to be tying in to the LOTR even moreso then the book.  (the inclusion of the Necromancer as a MAIN PROTAGONIST is what I mean).  If they decide to do a large scale set of Erobor (not sure how to spell it... you know the Lonely Mountiain where the dwarves lived) and include Smaug.  Well...that might be the best set out there.

I agree with you.  I actually think that The Hobbit has a massive amount of potential.  The first wave wasn't that great (with an exception of An Unexpected Gathering), but the story of The Hobbit is truly brilliant.  I think the potential of series is huge.  Also, something to keep in mind, The Fellowship of the Ring was the first in the LOTR trilogy, and (in my opinion) if you compare An Unexpected Journey to it, hands down it wins.

Now I just need Gandalf to show up at my house when I turn 50.  Especially considering Hogwarts never sent me a letter...  I will admit, I'm pleased to have never been reaped though.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering what others thoughts were to the hobbit sets from last year.  I personally like them, but more so because of the book/movie and them falling into the fantasy genre.  I have some of each set tucked away, but am at a crossroads.  Our local Wallyworld has 79000 riddles, 79001 spiders, and 79002 wargs at 60% off.  Like I said I have some of each but am wondering if it is worth it to tie up more funds on these.  I personally feel that the wargs one will always hold retail if not a little more do to the fact of the selection.  The riddles I am thinking is great for a few, but not going to be a real winner since no exclusive figs in it.  It is the spider set I cant figure out.  Part of me thinks was real fun build when it was full retail and had 3 exclusive figures, plus the colors, and the two spiders.  I also think with the next movie it will be more appreciated then it is now.  I Guess I am looking for advice on what others would do.  I have 6 of these already and that is fine, but for $12 I could load up and wait.  Really not sure.