Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

I think all LOTR / Hobbit sets from 1. wave will rise in future a lot, since:

1) they have had a very short production life (1.5 year for LOTR, 1 year and something for Hobbit),

2) this theme has a big fan base with ideal age for future purchases (teenage and AFOLs),

3) this theme will be never repeated in future, but the theme will be popular regardless of the existence of movies - this theme was popular even before the movies came,

4) almost every set contains exclusive figs, so if you need a complete set of main characters, you need to buy all sets.

Of course, there are some sets which will be more popular - Helms deep (big set showing an important scene), Uruk hai army (necessary for building a big army), Orthanc (biggest set), Unexpected gathering (definitely a winner of all hobbit sets, since contain many exclusive figs + iconic building with exclusive parts), but also many other sets are important for every collector - Orc Forge (good as a support for tower of Orthanc), Attack on weathertop (exclusive ringwraiths), Moria (troll and Boromir), Goblin king (goblins, exclusive wargs), Attack of the Wargs (wargs + exclusive dwarfs), Mirkwood spiders (beautiful Tauriel), Barrel escape (exclusive dwarfs). The same situation will be with the second wave - every set has exclusive figs and good point is that the TLG put many figs in every LOTR/Hobbit set contrary to other similar sets.

I also dont agree that Goblin king set has not a big potential - this set is nice detailed and contains many exlusive figs. I agree that the price is high, but if you buy it with a discount, you can expect a nice profit in future.

I believe in potential of these sets very strongly - this theme has a big fan base, the sets are well detailed, contain many figs, and most of them are exclusive and not repeated in other sets. I think these years are a golden era for investing, since there are so many other perfect sets produced during these years.

• Like 1

I can see Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit sets have gains somewhat similar to Harry Potter although not quite the same level. Harry Potter had its own cute endearing charm while Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit has its own numerous facets including those likeable by the community for Castle themes aside from simple fans of the stories themselves. Whether you are a lover of the original books or a collector of everything Castle related, you really can't lose with what these offer.

I'm not reading too much about the Orc Forge. Since it hung around (for 6 months) too late, did it lose it's luster?

I think that because it's an exclusive set (so not much known than the others) and because it doesn't provide exclusive heroes, it will take a longer time to rise, compared to other LOTR sets. Barrel escape (another exlusive set) will be ok sooner, I guess. Orc forge may be ok but in 2 years especially if sold in bundle with the tower of orthanc (after EOL of this one). My two cents.

I think that because it's an exclusive set (so not much known than the others) and because it doesn't provide exclusive heroes, it will take a longer time to rise, compared to other LOTR sets. Barrel escape (another exlusive set) will be ok sooner, I guess. Orc forge may be ok but in 2 years especially if sold in bundle with the tower of orthanc (after EOL of this one). My two cents.

Using an exclusive helps, I agree about the minifigs and being a companion to Tower of Orthanc.

It was a very popular set up to 4 months ago...

What are your thoughts on the Elf army builder set?  I am torn on really loading up on these or just being happy with a few.  It was a ok build and looks ok displayed but the gem is the figures as well as the one warg.  I  also think you could put some together to make a more impressive set for not much money. 

I just sold one last week on amazon for $100 (prob only cleared $30 on it, shipping was so much!) that I forgot I had posted so people are still looking for it. I have only have one more stashed away.

I'm not reading too much about the Orc Forge. Since it hung around (for 6 months) too late, did it lose it's luster?

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

Are there any links to these fakes? I don't want to promote them, but do they look fake? Or badly built like Mega Bloks figs.

They look different. Search Gandalf The White and do lowest price first and only BIN. Lowest one is a Fake. Face looks different and not a crisp.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Hmmmm. I did a search on Lego LOTR figures and this was at the top

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-104-UNKNOWN-BRAND-LOTR-SURUMAN-THE-WHITE-MINI-ACTION-FIGURES-X1-/201041399470?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item2ecf004eae

To be fair to this seller, nowhere in his description is the word Lego. However he has listed it in the Lego category.

Now looking at the picture, and its not brilliant here, nothing tells me this is not lego. I have a Saruman figure from 79000 but not having it to hand, this would probably look legit to me if the seller said this was lego. The only thing that looks odd is the angle of the legs.

So lots of people could be caught out by unscrupliless sellers and the parter outers could be hit, but will it lower the value of the sets themselves?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-104-UNKNOWN-BRAND-LOTR-SURUMAN-THE-WHITE-MINI-ACTION-FIGURES-X1-/201041399470?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item2ecf004eae

To be fair to this seller, nowhere in his description is the word Lego. However he has listed it in the Lego category.

Now looking at the picture, and its not brilliant here, nothing tells me this is not lego. I have a Saruman figure from 79000 but not having it to hand, this would probably look legit to me if the seller said this was lego. The only thing that looks odd is the angle of the legs.

So lots of people could be caught out by unscrupliless sellers and the parter outers could be hit, but will it lower the value of the sets themselves?

They are 100% fake. check his other items:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Construction-Toys-Kits-/18991/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_ssn=jimbain1962&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

If you have a moment contact these guys so we can get the scumbag removed:

http://service.lego.com/en-gb/contactus

If we all do our bit now, it could make a big difference in the future. After all we need to protect our investments.

• Like 1

A lot of buyers buy sets just for the minifigures so this can have a direct affect on sets too. 

Guest TabbyBoy

It's high time eBay stepped up on combatting counterfeit goods. They're quick to nail sellers with increased fees and taxing us on postage costs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

eBay are greedy and don't care how they make their money.  Knock Offs = Final Value fees = Do we care?

The fun will really start if Lego stop these cowboys and especially if they stop the resale of new sets which they CAN do.

What pisses me right off is a final value fee for postage, WTF is that all about?

I'm thinking of canning my eBay account soon and tell them to shove my feedback up their arse.  Before I do that, I'll have some fun first and go out with a bang!  I may list 20,000x 41999s for