Bitcoin and other forms of digital currency

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, enotoga said:

PS - I heard somebody say that once ETH does the Casper upgrade ETH will displace BTC.  Personally, BTC got prohibitively expensive and slow for me to use when using BTC to trade for alts.  So I switched to ETH markets and figured other people were switching too, for the same reasons.  At that point I sold the last of my BTC and bought ETH, and never looked back.

I too converted all my BTC to ETH. BTC has had its day I think (too slow/expensive/outdated/hyped/impractical) and I'm done with it. I did sell 10 ETH last night at €900 only for it to reach €1000 within a few hours. I was going to "chase it back", but I used the cash to buy more XRP instead. However, I've set a buy/limit for €850 to claw it back one day. Everything that I have in my portfolio started with 3 BTC bought for £1000 back in 2014. I'm looking forward to see what the "BrickPicker Test" portfolio will be worth eventually (link in previous post) compared with the virtual €1700 invested.

9 hours ago, Haay said:

Yeah, similar for me. Will be laughing all the way to the bank if or when ETH overtakes BTC as the biggest crypto currency.

NEO is recovering quite nicely too by the way. Don't know if any of you guys hold any NEO, but I see good prospects in this Chinese answer to ETH.

You'll do really well with NEO.  It's a great story with a great roadmap and team.  I held it when it was single digits - just before the big name change and then I sold it for a 400% gain.  Stupid - I should have just held onto it, because now it's much much higher. 

8 hours ago, enotoga said:

You'll do really well with NEO.  It's a great story with a great roadmap and team.  I held it when it was single digits - just before the big name change and then I sold it for a 400% gain.  Stupid - I should have just held onto it, because now it's much much higher. 

I also looked into Vechain (VEN) which has very promising Chinese business ventures, though the performance of VEN over the past weeks is quite disappointing. I only put €25 into VEN though, so not much lost there. And I'll just HODL for the long run. Either I lost €25 on it, or maybe VEN gets traction in the future and I'll get my profits easily. Not really important. :) 

Regardless, I stay away from Ripple which I consider to be a ponzi-scheme-like system. It's not a real crypto currency but created as a solution to replace SWIFT inter-banking transfers. The Ripple company holds about 2/3rd of the total coins (which are billions!) and controls the flow and availability. There is no mining, to decentralised transaction confirmation.  And there's the chance that the Ripple company will give part of their XRP resources for free to lure in new (bank) clients. It's not in Ripple's interest to get XRP to rise sharply in value...

https://hackernoon.com/the-ripple-currency-problem-why-permissioned-blockchains-will-devalue-xrp-d79aef84c074

People may still make money through XRP speculating, but I'm staying away from it out of principle. :P 

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Haay said:

I also looked into Vechain (VEN) which has very promising Chinese business ventures, though the performance of VEN over the past weeks is quite disappointing. I only put €25 into VEN though, so not much lost there. And I'll just HODL for the long run. Either I lost €25 on it, or maybe VEN gets traction in the future and I'll get my profits easily. Not really important. :) 

Regardless, I stay away from Ripple which I consider to be a ponzi-scheme-like system. It's not a real crypto currency but created as a solution to replace SWIFT inter-banking transfers. The Ripple company holds about 2/3rd of the total coins (which are billions!) and controls the flow and availability. There is no mining, to decentralised transaction confirmation.  And there's the chance that the Ripple company will give part of their XRP resources for free to lure in new (bank) clients. It's not in Ripple's interest to get XRP to rise sharply in value...

https://hackernoon.com/the-ripple-currency-problem-why-permissioned-blockchains-will-devalue-xrp-d79aef84c074

People may still make money through XRP speculating, but I'm staying away from it out of principle. :P 

XRP is a strange one, but I bought in so low originally (£0.009 each!) that I really don't care. I've even heard that they may start "burning" XRP tokens as soon as they are used which will reduce the amount available which should, in theory, increase their value. However, it remains to be seen as Iconomi (ICN) has tanked since they mentioned releasing their platform and burning tokens. Either way, I'd like to see SWIFT knocked of its perch.

I admit, that I am ONLY in this for speculation and fast profits, like the other 99.9% of us. I think that it's too risky long-term as only a handful will survive, BTC will NOT be one of them ;-)

I've got to the position now where everything in my wallets and exchanges is just "playing money" which is AFTER I've taken very healthy profits. Of course, I'm looking for the next-big-thing, but it's not easy to find even though I like the look of some that are out there. It's a minefield as there's just so many coins and so many scams. I'm also done with ICOs (too dodgy) and I now wait for coins to hit good exchanges.

50% of all LEGO profits this year will be spread across my crypto portfolio.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
43 minutes ago, Legojona said:

50% of your Lego profits? So you're not investing this year? :D

Yes, I'm re-investing even though profits and margins are much lower this year.

50% in crypto.

25% back in LEGO, if there's anything discounted enough.

25% gets banked.

About 25% of my crypto profits are banked too while the rest is re-invested. It's not a set formula and changes all the time.

BTW... I bought 100x Radley ladies handbags this morning and I'm flipping them too!

Diversify, right?

I agree about XRP being a real gamble.  I guess crypto's in general are a gamble, although blockchain is part of our future in a big way.  I own both Tron (TRX) and Ripple (XRP) simply as a bet that if either are able to get some traction, FOMO could launch them into orbit.

A lot of the early movers and shakers in crypto are master marketeers, and they're able to make something out of nothing.

Edited by enotoga

21 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

Is PayPal still an option for Coinbase? I'm level 3 verified and don't see it as an option. :(

I haven't sold through coinbase, but they list PayPal as a sell account only, but you should still be able to link.  Maybe when you are initiating a sale, it will be a choice?

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1148716-payment-methods-for-us-customers

I don't see paypal as an option anywhere on Coinbase, and I've been using it since last summer.  But one thing I learned is to do all my coinbase transactions on GDAX.  Let's say I transfer $xx.xx from my checking account to my Coinbase wallet.  As soon as the money arrives (takes 6 days), I immediately hit the GDAX link at the bottom of the Coinbase home page.  This automatically loads the GDAX platform and you're already logged in.  Then deposit the money onto GDAX from Coinbase.  Then do any buying or selling on GDAX exchange and move the resulting cash or coins back to Coinbase.  Or you can transfer cash from GDAX directly to your bank account.  The fees on GDAX are pennies compared to Coinbase - especially when doing a withdrawl.  You can save a ton of money by using GDAX.

Edited by enotoga

26 minutes ago, enotoga said:

I don't see paypal as an option anywhere on Coinbase, and I've been using it since last summer.  But one thing I learned is to do all my coinbase transactions on GDAX.  Let's say I transfer $xx.xx from my checking account to my Coinbase wallet.  As soon as the money arrives (takes 6 days), I immediately hit the GDAX link at the bottom of the Coinbase home page.  This automatically loads the GDAX platform and you're already logged in.  Then deposit the money onto GDAX from Coinbase.  Then do any buying or selling on GDAX exchange and move the resulting cash or coins back to Coinbase.  Or you can transfer cash from GDAX directly to your bank account.  The fees on GDAX are pennies compared to Coinbase - especially when doing a withdrawl.  You can save a ton of money by using GDAX.

Yeah, I typically follow most of your advice. I've bought and sold a bit, but I haven't actually moved any back into a bank account, and the talk of banks banning had me looking into PayPal as a backup and that's currently missing. I know I saw PayPal before as a selling destination, so I'm assuming it must've been pulled and hopefully just temporarily.

1 hour ago, belljohn said:

I haven't sold through coinbase, but they list PayPal as a sell account only, but you should still be able to link.  Maybe when you are initiating a sale, it will be a choice?

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1148716-payment-methods-for-us-customers

I saw that, figured they would've updated the support articles if PayPal were no longer an option. We shall see. Thanks for checking.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've not used PayPal for this, do they charge their typically high fees? If you don't pay a lot into your bank in one go, it shouldn't be a problem. I pay in no more than £1,000 at a time. Whatever you do... NEVER sell on eBay as you'll get scammed 90% of the time and there's no seller protection for crypto. You lose your coins, payment AND have to pay a chargeback fee!

Remember that PayPal is risky as their 2FA is SMS which is very easily intercepted. I lost my iPhone once and it only took me an hour of phone calls to regain access.

35 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

May be its time to turn you head towards Hashgraph?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I wouldn't .. it's still running on private networks and is a long way from being adopted. In fact, many big corporations have bought into block-chain as a tech of the future and are currently researching their own ways of using it. I'd be wary of (seemingly) totally new approaches in the next 24 months. 

https://hackernoon.com/demystifying-hashgraph-benefits-and-challenges-d605e5c0cee5

Until a major world government backs one of these techs, it's going to be risky. I think BitCoin will get one more kick at the can with the other popular cryptos.

At the end of the day, that's all personal opinion .. personally, I have a small stash of Ethereum I bought between $300-$400 per. I won't get rich, but it'll pay a few bills if it stays up.

Over the past two weeks I've watched the total market cap for all cryptocurrencies go from nearly 800 billion to where it is currently at 424 billion.  I don't know what you'd call this, but "correction" or "pullback" doesn't seem to fit.  Crypto is a strange new animal without reliable metrics or fundamentals.  If I was to sell, I guarantee that would set up the mother of all rallies.

But here's the strangest thing.  Of all the damage to crypto prices, ETH seems to be holding up pretty well.  It seem to be pretty steady at approx $1000.  I can't help but wonder if this is the flippening or shake-up that moves ETH into the #1 spot and causes a consolidation that drives ETH higher.  Given all the coins and token that are built on the ETH platform, this wouldn't surprise me at all.  But if this was really happening I'd expect ETH to be higher at this point.  So....to summarize, I have no clue what's happening.       

Guest TabbyBoy

I remember Bitcoin crashing from £390 to £120 within a month of me buying it back in 2014. The huge downturn over the last day or so is nothing new and will probably happen again time after time. However due to the constant FUD and attempts at regulation recently, we may not see another big rally again this year. I'm still trading on the dips and make a little profit, but now wish that I'd bailed yesterday! It'll get back up there, but will take a long time. I would buy more now, but I think there's bigger drops to come.

BTW... The BP cryptofolio is now 45% down!

XRP at sub $1 level. It's a very odd coin and I don't really trust it since the only thing going for it is the fact that Ripple (the payment company) owns 60% of it. Nevertheless, I did punt a little and buy some XRP since it was under $1. I bought about 130 and I also bought .59 Monero since it has been doing pretty well (aside from the major slump).

Edited by bigboy61

9 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I remember Bitcoin crashing from £390 to £120 within a month of me buying it back in 2014. The huge downturn over the last day or so is nothing new and will probably happen again time after time. However due to the constant FUD and attempts at regulation recently, we may not see another big rally again this year. I'm still trading on the dips and make a little profit, but now wish that I'd bailed yesterday! It'll get back up there, but will take a long time. I would buy more now, but I think there's bigger drops to come.

BTW... The BP cryptofolio is now 45% down!

still optimistic about that deal of yours with Wal-E who's gonna make a bigger profit - bricks or coins?

It's a brutal day, that's for sure.  Hard to catch a break.  But there is a silver lining to the DOW's 600 point drop.  It's only 2%, which isn't even half of what's considered a healthy 5% correction.  So we've got that going for us :)

I feel like the young boy walking through the graveyard at night, who begins whistling to keep his spirits up.

Edited by enotoga

1 minute ago, enotoga said:

It's a brutal day, that's for sure.  Hard to catch a break.  But there is a silver lining to the DOW's 600 point drop.  It's only 2% which isn't even half of what's considered a healthy 5% correction.  So we've got that going for us :)

I feel like the young boy walking through the graveyard at night, who begins whistling to keep his spirits up.

Im not investing into bitcoin..just curiuos if that one can break through like 7000 USD barrier.. any thoughts?