Bitcoin and other forms of digital currency

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

LOL - Slight exaggeration, but I'm still bullish about skimming off some profit for the foreseeable ;-)

To those that are moaning about it, have you actually got the guts to give it a go? You don't have to spend a lot. It can't be worse than buying a Star Warts set at RRP, right?

I don´t - Lego Batman Movie is already too risky a buy for me.

Sold my whole Lego collection at once the other day.

Lego reselling was getting more annoying the last year, profits getting smaller and smaller.. sometimes even sold at a loss.. not even speaking about the increasing amount of "difficult" customers... pfff.  Glad to be done with that. Lego will only be for personal build from now on..

Been into crypto for 1,5 month (yes, month) now and already made more than 3x what I made in Lego in the course of 3 years.. happy I made the change :) 

We'll see where this market ends up. I believe it will rise for some years to come... I'm riding the train as long as it stays on track.. and hopefully can get off if it derails :P

Edited by Eric83

Guest TabbyBoy
3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I don´t - Lego Batman Movie is already too risky a buy for me.

All LEGO movie sets are risky apart from the Destinys Bounty. If it didn't look like a superb proper Chinese junk, I'd have left it well alone.

I'd be surprised if many movie sets even reach RRP, let alone exceed it.

BTW... The ETH/EUR pair is now looking good and I should be cashing out about 5 ETH later to buy back when it drops (hopefully) this evening.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Eric83 said:

Sold my whole Lego collection at once the other day.

Lego reselling was getting more annoying the last year, profits getting smaller and smaller.. sometimes even sold at a loss.. not even speaking about the increasing amount of "difficult" customers... pfff.  Glad to be done with that. Lego will only be for personal build from now on..

Been into crypto for 1,5 month (yes, month) now and already made more than 3x what I made in Lego in the course of 3 years.. happy I made the change :) 

We'll see where this market ends up. I believe it will rise for some years to come... I'm riding the train as long as it stays on track.. and hopefully can get off if it derails :P

Similar here.... I've gone back to reselling LEGO, but my buy-ins are now much better than before and I'm running a lot leaner. I also avoid a lot more themes now as most are poor performers. Apart from 21309/21312/70618, I'd not entertain any discount less than 50% (75% on crap sets). I'll probably call it a day at some point as will most of us I suppose. As woth LEGO, crypto "gambling" will come to an end eventually.

Just now, Val-E said:

Surely you´d want to cash in and buy USD right now at 1.40 GBP?

No, I leave ForEx to the experts as there's not enough swing to make enough profit to outweigh the losses.

I might risk £1000 in crypto, I was tempted before Xmas and could have tripled my money. There's money to be made as long as your not holding on when the music stops. It's still a risk though. I'd never consider investing what I've got in Lego into crypto. My Lego won't lose all value overnight because of a panicky market or governments trying to block it.

If I got into crypto only just now the up and down swings and big losses one can have within a few days time would make me terribly nervous.

For me it helps a lot that I experienced first hand how my initial €25 of Bitcoin (early 2014) dropped to a value of just €16 by Summer 2016, after which it started steadily to rise to previously unthinkable levels in 2017. Then I cashed out on all of my BTC and got some €600 in total, not including the ~ €50 worth of BCH I also got for free after the fork. 

Now I put about half of those profits back into other currencies, most of which is Ethereum in which I firmly believe, just like @TabbyBoy does. But unlike TabbyBoy I am not actively day-trading. Instead I will simply sit on it and enjoy the ride. See where this will lead to in 2018. :) 

Guest TabbyBoy
24 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I might risk £1000 in crypto, I was tempted before Xmas and could have tripled my money. There's money to be made as long as your not holding on when the music stops. It's still a risk though. I'd never consider investing what I've got in Lego into crypto. My Lego won't lose all value overnight because of a panicky market or governments trying to block it.

Take the time now to set up wallets for the coins you plan to buy and register yourself on an exchange that you can fund with cash initially. You'll probably have to jump through a lot of hoops to open an account... selfies holding a handwritten note and passport, sending scans of passport, council tax bill, etc. It's not as easy as opening a bank account. Also, check with your bank first to make sure that they'll accept payments from an account held by an exchange. If you do this now, you could be trading within 2 weeks subject to how long the exchange takes to credit your account. Use those 2 weeks to monitor the high/low and open/close figures every day so that it can give you an idea of what, when and how much to invest. Even if you're only setting up and ready to go, it won't cost you a penny ;-)

Every little bit of ETH sent to 0xb43B0944600e41fc1a9476190C8999664bA18203 helps me feed my Tabby ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

28 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Similar here.... I've gone back to reselling LEGO, but my buy-ins are now much better than before and I'm running a lot leaner. I also avoid a lot more themes now as most are poor performers. Apart from 21309/21312/70618, I'd not entertain any discount less than 50% (75% on crap sets). I'll probably call it a day at some point as will most of us I suppose. As woth LEGO, crypto "gambling" will come to an end eventually.

That's something i definitely should have done (diversify my themes). The picks I made with my lego sets weren't the best (well they where ... for the first year) . I held mostly exclusives (most part modulars) but didn't sell when the profits on those where going down. Unfortunately discounts more than 20% where a rare phenomenon in Holland so that didn't help either.

50-70% discounts I could only dream of.. in that regard you're very lucky/skilled to get those discounts.. 

I'm quite optimistic about the crypto market in general but nobody really knows where it will end. It's all speculative.
Therefore the most solid advice is, and will be: never invest more than you can lose :) and buy the dips..

I'm not worried about the dip right now...just buy if you have the money for it...

it will all come back again... and fall again... and rise again... ...   well maybe not bit(dis)connect hahaha :P (no disrespect if anyone has invested in it)

Edited by Eric83

For people interested in just testing the waters without actually committing real money to it, you could try out this site: https://coinloop.io/

It's not an exchange, nor a crypto Wallet. It's just a Dashboard where you pick currencies, enter a certain amount, and let it track the value of it over time. This way you could virtually 'buy' certain crypto-currencies that you might have picked if you would have bought them for real, add them to your Dashboard portfolio, and then check every day how you would have done.

It's not the first site to do this, but it's very easy and user friendly. Simple to create an account there and go. :) 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Take the time now to set up wallets for the coins you plan to buy and register yourself on an exchange that you can fund with cash initially. You'll probably have to jump through a lot of hoops to open an account... selfies holding a handwritten note and passport, sending scans of passport, council tax bill, etc. It's not as easy as opening a bank account. Also, check with your bank first to make sure that they'll accept payments from an account held by an exchange. If you do this now, you could be trading within 2 weeks subject to how long the exchange takes to credit your account. Use those 2 weeks to monitor the high/low and open/close figures every day so that it can give you an idea of what, when and how much to invest. Even if you're only setting up and ready to go, it won't cost you a penny ;-)

Every little bit of ETH sent to 0xb43B0944600e41fc1a9476190C8999664bA18203 helps me feed my Tabby ;-)

Really? It was easy for me. I used and still use Coinbase. My account was approved via a driver's license in under an hour. I hooked up my bank account and I could roll. I tried to use my debit card to buy some, but it got flagged for fraud and suspended. The bank transfers work fine though. The thing that sucks with Coinbase is that it takes so long for a transaction to go through so it's impossible to day trade.

Edited by bigboy61

Guest TabbyBoy

With reference to the spreadsheet (attached) that I created and sent to Val-E for regular price updates, the €1700 worth of crypto has fallen sharply by 17% in the space of a few days to €1409 as per link below:

http://www.coinparator.com/89SrjN/

The 20x Crypto is not off to a good start due to the recent large downturn, but it'll be an interesting "race" against the 20x LEGO sets that Val-E has chosen. There's a good chance that some of the crypto will skyrocket, tank or even die, whereas there'll be some turkeys among the LEGO sets too. The LEGO set prices will be updated every 90 days or so.

Please note that these results will be no indication of what will happen the year after.

LEGO vs Cryptocurrency.xlsx

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

Crypto picking up a little bit even though it's still very early days:

5a6dcedc55bc7_ScreenShot2018-01-28at13_23_00.png.e785088315db8acd45fc6d073db1dc7c.png

Oh... this is actually from my new portfolio as I'm doing it for real out of some of my Xmas LEGO profits. I'd kick myself for missing out if it all did well this year! ;-)

Put your money where your mouth is, right?

I'm a big believer in Ethereum (ETH) too.  The flippening is underway.  A huge number of alt coins are built on the ETH blockchain.  I think we're still in very early innings where crypto is concerned.  A couple interesting things I've heard over the past 24 hours are, 1) WTC is supposed to be coming out with a big announcement very soon and that's been driving the price up, and 2) SingularityNET, symbol AGI, to the moon.

Edited by enotoga
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, enotoga said:

I'm a big believer in Ethereum (ETH) too.  The flippening is underway.  A huge number of alt coins are built on the ETH blockchain.  I think we're still in very early innings where crypto is concerned.  A couple interesting things I've heard over the past 24 hours are, 1) WTC is supposed to be coming out with a big announcement very soon and that's been driving the price up, and 2) SingularityNET, symbol AGI, to the moon.

The BTC/ETH flippening nearly happened when it was 8:1 (1 ETH = 0.125 BTC) a few months ago and it's getting close again. If it wasn't for all the ICOs wanting BTC/ETH as payment, I think some of the other decent altcoins could break away from their "ties" with BTC/ETC and do a lot better than they have done.

I've also been looking at WTC (assuming you mean WaltonChain) and I noticed that it took a dip this morning so I'm glad I held off. But, I like the IoT idea and it is the future, which is why I put some funds into IOTA recently. If a company like Amazon moves towards something like WTC for inventory control, there'll be some very happy people created overnight. It could be worth a punt and I may just do that. I always prefer crypto that has a real purpose set out in its roadmap.

One thing is for sure..... I'm topping up my XRP holdings while XRP is still below €1 every time I make a profit from trades, all it takes is for one major bank to move from SWIFT to RippleNet. It's dropped from close to $3.50 to about $1.30 and seeing it go to $5 or even $10 this year is not unreasonable.

Of course, we can't have all crypto going to the moon as it has already exceeded the GDP of a small country ;-)

Yea, Waltcoin has been doing the 3-steps forward, 2-steps back thing since $20 over the past couple weeks.  I'm not holding any significant amounts of WTC unfortunately.  But I'm with you on XRP.   IOTA is great too.  I'm holding a lot of XLM too - I really like their focus on the African unbanked.  This recent correction has shaken out a lot of weak hands.  I'd like to see some sustained, slow, upward pressure like we've had over the past 24 hours.  

One thing's for sure - this 24/7 market sure is sumptin'!!  There's nothing like it.

Edited by enotoga

PS - I heard somebody say that once ETH does the Casper upgrade ETH will displace BTC.  Personally, BTC got prohibitively expensive and slow for me to use when using BTC to trade for alts.  So I switched to ETH markets and figured other people were switching too, for the same reasons.  At that point I sold the last of my BTC and bought ETH, and never looked back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, enotoga said:

PS - I heard somebody say that once ETH does the Casper upgrade ETH will displace BTC.  Personally, BTC got prohibitively expensive and slow for me to use when using BTC to trade for alts.  So I switched to ETH markets and figured other people were switching too, for the same reasons.  At that point I sold the last of my BTC and bought ETH, and never looked back.

Yeah, similar for me. Will be laughing all the way to the bank if or when ETH overtakes BTC as the biggest crypto currency.

NEO is recovering quite nicely too by the way. Don't know if any of you guys hold any NEO, but I see good prospects in this Chinese answer to ETH.

• Thanks 1