Bitcoin and other forms of digital currency

48 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

LOL - ETH just breached the £1000 barrier ;-)

I bought $1k worth of ETH for around $730 each in late December. I am hoping it will go to 2k by years end. Hopefully so! I am curious if you ended up buying back in despite the fact that ETH didn't go down to £200 ?

Edited by bigboy61

Guest TabbyBoy
29 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

I bought $1k worth of ETH for around $730 each in late December. I am hoping it will go to 2k by years end. Hopefully so! I am curious if you ended up buying back in despite the fact that ETH didn't go down to £200 ?

Yes, I bought back in during a small dip so still banked some profit, about 5% of what I traded. I only trade 25% of my ETH now as the rest is for the long haul. $2K? I think more like $15K!

Yes, I even buy LEGO also! ;-)

Yes, I bought back in during a small dip so still banked some profit, about 5% of what I traded. I only trade 25% of my ETH now as the rest is for the long haul. $2K? I think more like $15K!
Yes, I even buy LEGO also! ;-)

I think the magic number for ETH to stabilize is $2500 US per. Then it’ll linger there while the other crypto currencies get their **** together.

(Note, entirely speculation based on my own feelings...)

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

I think the magic number for ETH to stabilize is $2500 US per. Then it’ll linger there while the other crypto currencies get their **** together.

nothing wrong with feelings but for decipherin' the future there is was only one source to trust so i used my afterlife connections to obtain the following:

image.png.2afeadd95607fe0585fce530a1de8a3d.png

jamie dimons crypto mea culpa today was sweet and bodes well for near term price appreciation of cryptos in general. 

foregone conclusion now that jpm opens a crypto trading desk later this spring lending further respectability and helping  to pump up the bubble to the next level when old school money starts looking for noncorrelated asset to park some of their stock market gains from the last 10 years as the yield curve inverts and advisors start telling their clients recession is coming.

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

its not entirely out of the loop vision..  given there is like 96 mil tokens in circulation, each valued at 2500 USD would bring the total cap to cca 250 bln USD (which is the same price as Bitcoin is holding ríght now - having terrible results in its use - speed, high fees etc)

although when next financial crisis kicks in it might go either waaay up .. or more likely way down.. 

10 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

LOL - ETH just breached the £1000 barrier ;-)

Early December I exchanged my free Bitcoin Cash amount (received because of the Bitcoin fork) into ETH. That was an excellent move, looking back now! :)  It trippled in value since then, while BCH is more or less stable. Though I do believe that BCH will grow as well in the near future. 

I liquidated all my remaining BTC though, because I lost faith in the future of BTC. I think other cryptocoins are more promising.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, Haay said:

Early December I exchanged my free Bitcoin Cash amount (received because of the Bitcoin fork) into ETH. That was an excellent move, looking back now! :)  It trippled in value since then, while BCH is more or less stable. Though I do believe that BCH will grow as well in the near future. 

I liquidated all my remaining BTC though, because I lost faith in the future of BTC. I think other cryptocoins are more promising.

I liquidated BTC into ETH months ago, my best move ever! Out of the fork-issued coins, I still hold LTC that's also done very well recently. Now that ETH has broken the psychological $1000/£1000 barriers, I think some serious money eill start to pour in. It all owes me nothing as I started it all with LEGO profits!

I'm currently researching BNK and HMQ, but not bought yet.

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm currently researching BNK and HMQ, but not bought yet.

I looked into VOXEL currency and I think it has superb potential. Check it out!

http://thevoxel.com/ and https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogeraitken/2016/12/02/does-voxels-crypto-to-equity-exchange-offer-glance-of-vr-future/#60c1702729e4

I'm also keeping an eye on STELLAR which I think has a lot of potential as well.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Val-E said:

I´m not the most well-informed but it looks like there are so many virtual currencies now that people are just speculating one off against the other, just like on the real forex markets.

There's nearly 1500 crytocurrencies out there with 99% of them expected to crash and burn eventually. Yes, speculation is driving the price just as it does with LEGO sets.

Remember today as being the day that ETH reached £1000 so check the price again 3 months from now..... £2500? You have the chance to make or lose big right now ;-)

None of us are that well informed which is why the risk and rewards are high.

13 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

There's nearly 1500 crytocurrencies out there with 99% of them expected to crash and burn eventually. Yes, speculation is driving the price just as it does with LEGO sets.

Remember today as being the day that ETH reached £1000 so check the price again 3 months from now..... £2500? You have the chance to make or lose big right now ;-)

None of us are that well informed which is why the risk and rewards are high.

Also, there's a hard fork of ETH coming on the 18th of January. Which means you get free coins of the split-off currency after the fork. That may also be a reason why people are buying ETH...

• Like 1

I've got £1k split between BTC and LTC, and my timing couldn't have been worse. Almost as soon as I got in, the plunge – sorry, "correction" – started.

Closest I've seen my wallet get to what I paid is £45 down. As I type I'm at £811.

Not sure I have the faith in LTC that others do either. It's currently at £177. I paid £271. It's been nowhere near that since I went in. Its recent tailspin looks like it's taken it to a lower level where it's going to settle.

3 minutes ago, Deeker said:

Where are you seeing the information on this hard fork for eth?   I have looked and can’t find anything on it.   What amount of coins will you be getting for each eth coin you have?  

I took the news about it at face value, but have looked a bit more into it now. 

https://cointelegraph.com/press-releases/etherzero-a-revolutionary-ethereum-hard-fork-forking-on-19th-jan-2018

But then I read: https://www.quora.com/Is-Ethereum-about-to-explode-considering-the-upcoming-hard-fork-on-the-18th-of-January

So.... If this is a reason for ETH to go up in value, I don't mind at all. 

BTC went up after the BCH fork, and then again after the Bitcoin Gold (BCG ?) fork. Where BCH is a viable alternative, I see BCG going absolutely nowhere.

Guest TabbyBoy

I like forks... you can't beat a bit of free BCH, ETC and LTC ;-)

As with BCH, I'm not selling my ETZ straight after the fork, I'll actually buy more when the "crypto QFLLs" cash in their ETZ and drive the price down. Of course... assuming that the fork isn't cancelled again!

Just make sure that you have your ETH in a secure wallet around the time of the fork and NOT in limbo on an exchange.

12 minutes ago, Deeker said:

Will exchanges like coinbase have a new category for etz?   I know that bitcoin cash came on it just a short while ago.  

I had Bitcoin on a private wallet before the fork, then imported it to Blockchain.info. A while later Blockchain introduced limited support for Bitcoin Cash and that way I could convert it to ETH. But until now Blockchain has not even begun to consider supporting Bitcoin Gold after that split so there's that.

Coinbase is quite similar to Blockchain, though besides BTC, BCH and ETH it additionally offers support for Litecoin as well.

Chances that either Blockchain or Coinbase will support ETZ within this year are slim to zero, in my opinion.

Edited by Haay

So is the only way to get it then to switch my coins over to a wallet?   

Sorry for all the questions but I am so over head with some of this crypto currency stuff.  I put some extra cash into this awhile back and still have never fully understood all that goes with it. Unlike the stock market or even bond this is like the Wild West and seems to change daily.

Guest TabbyBoy

Guys... Don't got head-first into cryptocurrency investing if you've not spent many hours researching it. It's not something that should be done on a whim.

Also, be careful with the rumoured ETZ fork as some aspects have SCAM written all over them:

• "https://etherzero.org" is a VERY poorly presented website.
  • There's not even an official ETZ wallet available yet. It should at least be available for testing with only 9 days to go.
  • Buying ETZ at the "Early Investor" price of 0.005 ETH (200:1? Yeah, right!), it talks about obtaining your private key - big & loud alarm bells!
  • There's nothing under the news section.
  • Registered in Panama (money laundering tax dodgers?) with no names or company information.
  • The FAQs are vague and are stupid questions have not really been answered properly.
  • There's nothing of any use on Github as it would all be there if it was genuine.
  • Read Bitcointalk comments, most think it's a scam too.
  • There's been no announcement from Vitalik Buterin in the run up to this fork as I'm sure that he'd want to reassure the Ethereum community.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,  but the cryptoverse has a lot more crooks lurking around than Amazon and eBay put together. If the fork does go ahead and is successful, I would expect it would be easy to get your 1:1 ETZ tokens (forget 200:1 as per scam above) if you keep your ETH in decent wallets such as MEW or BLOCKCHAIN.info or if you have a cold offline wallet. I may leave 1 ETH on Kraken to see what happens as they gave me free ETC as soon as that was available.

7 minutes ago, Deeker said:

So is the only way to get it then to switch my coins over to a wallet?   

Sorry for all the questions but I am so over head with some of this crypto currency stuff.  I put some extra cash into this awhile back and still have never fully understood all that goes with it. Unlike the stock market or even bond this is like the Wild West and seems to change daily.

That's what makes it so rewarding! Like you I don't totally know everything about it. However, I suspect you need to have your ETH in an actual wallet and not in an exchange in order to get the other currency.