Bitcoin and other forms of digital currency

wondering if anyone from you, big players (esp. UK ones), got caught by this:

BABB (getbabb.com)

its marketing is light years ahead of the competition, they got already some FCA approval and already asked for a full banking licence to operate as a standard, regulated bank institution bounded by the EU laws.

Edited by crayxlp

Guest TabbyBoy
25 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

wondering if anyone from you, big players (esp. UK ones), got caught by this:

BABB (getbabb.com)

its marketing is light years ahead of the competition, they got already some FCA approval and already asked for a full banking licence to operate as a standard, regulated bank institution bounded by the EU laws.

I read about this in November and fear that it could be Polybius all over again. I mean prices in freefall straight after ICO and just about recover to ICO price 7 months later and drop again. I've also dismissed Bankera as there's just too many on the bandwagon now. I no longer invest during ICOs and wait for it to hit reputable exchanges. Everybody has always been their own bank anyway, so what's new? Tread carefully on this one and I suggest waiting for an exchange listing before buying. I'm trying to find the next "penny coin" and will buy £5000 worth as soon as it hits a good exchange.

My other half works for the Financial Ombudsman Service and her colleagues state that BABB has no approval whatsoever, a licence is very unlikely and the FSA wlll not entertain such a venture until regulation is in place. Too risky for me, sorry.

BTW... Kraken is in VERY big trouble tonight, I'm so glad that I got everything out just in time. There's unverified reports of a massive hack during the update and a huge amount of funds have gone apparently. As soon as they're back up in 2-3 days, I'm closing my account as they've been the most unreliable exchange I've ever used. I'll NEVER trust them again! Expect major news tomorrow.

I think the meltdown of Kraken tonight could be the reason for ETH going into freefall, taking other ETH blockchain alts with it. I don't think Kraken will survive this latest major cock-up.

Edited by TabbyBoy

I have to  start with: I have no experience such as yours in crypto market.. This is what made me think this is a legit project:

a) the company is listed in House of Companies for more than 5 years, initial capital 1000 USD but last year was increased to 10,000,000 USDb) 
b ) they are obviously seeking a serious. legitable status - thus they already received an approval from UK financial bodies to operate as e-money company (sorry, as not being the UK citizen I dont see much into the details and proper wording)

c) they aim to become to a certified UK bank governed and regulated by the law and that means somethíng.. 
d) .. they are so bold as to come with their own "debit CRYPTO payment card" as an alternative to VISA / MC Cards.. 

ok.. this all could not materialize in the future.. but JUST that marketing (im marketing person myself).. that was the best video spot Ive seen.. .. look at Verge, Tron and their websites.. what a desinger horror!.. and then trust these companies valued more than a 1 bln USD if they do not have enough capital for a serious, professional look.. (thats one of the ways how you can think of a seriousness of any business)

I think the meltdown of Kraken tonight could be the reason for ETH going into freefall, taking other ETH blockchain alts with it. I don't think Kraken will survive this latest major cock-up.

South Korea caused some of this with their “plan” to ban crypto currency trading.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-southkorea-bitcoin/south-korea-plans-to-ban-cryptocurrency-trading-rattles-market-idUSKBN1F002A

Just enough truth to cause people to sell some big chunks of coins and cause a drop as well. It seemed to me it wasn’t a big enough deal to cause the 10-12% drop in ETH but together that makes sense.

It still has room and time to recover before the 18th.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've been hearing that the Kraken exchange will now be offline for an extended period, at least another week. As well as the "update", a lot funds have apparently gone missing from user accounts. The latest is that the FBI and SEC will soon be investigating Kraken and force them to shut down for good. I'm sorry to say that if any of you have funds on Kraken, it's safe to assume that you have a very high chance of losing them. I only had about £5000 worth of XRP as it was being used for a trade that's been failing for 2 weeks. The bulk of my assets are in cold offline wallets.

We should hear official news of Kraken's collapse over the next week. Of course, it's all hearsay, but I believe they're going down. Anybody in their right mind with withdraw everything when (IF!) they regain access and never use them again.

One thing is for sure... If Kraken ever gets back online and my XRP is safe, I'm getting it out of that hell-hole asap and I suggest you all do the same.

This MUST have been a factor in recent price drops as it's one of the main exchanges that covers Europe and supports EUR.

This will be the biggest news since Mt Gox and Kraken will never recover from this.

13 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

has coinbase ever been cracked or hacked?

Here is a nice overview of different wallets, which coins they support, what platforms they're on, how safe and easy to use they are...

https://www.cryptocompare.com/wallets/#/overview

Coinbase and Blockchain.info are quite similar, though Blockchain.info gets a higher user rating. But it's certainly a good idea to read user reviews / experiences with different offerings. There are some differences though:

5a58e78f75597_CoinbaseWallet.png.9690fc98eccc40a5e7da0ef8a263b053.png

5a58e7c0a6195_BlockchainWallet.png.8481e152f8e6170a8e9748743b20d298.png

Edited by Haay
  • Thanks 1

Guest TabbyBoy
48 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

has coinbase ever been cracked or hacked?

I don't think so, but no exchange is immune. My gut feeling is that Kraken's problems came from inside. I don't keep anything on an exchange unless trading. Unfortunately, I had 2500x XRP in limbo on a trade that never completed in 2 weeks so I now consider this lost. To be honest, I don't think there's a single good exchange out there, all have problems to some extent and can take the piss as not regulated.

Guest TabbyBoy
44 minutes ago, Haay said:

Here is a nice overview of different wallets, which coins they support, what platforms they're on, how safe and easy to use they are...

https://www.cryptocompare.com/wallets/#/overview

Coinbase and Blockchain.info are quite similar, though Blockchain.info gets a higher user rating. But it's certainly a good idea to read user reviews / experiences with different offerings. There are some differences though:

5a58e78f75597_CoinbaseWallet.png.9690fc98eccc40a5e7da0ef8a263b053.png

5a58e7c0a6195_BlockchainWallet.png.8481e152f8e6170a8e9748743b20d298.png

I suggest not using an online wallet at all. Use a hardware cold wallet like a Trezor or Ledger Nano S. I use the Ledger which is fantastic and easy to back up. If you don't hold the private keys, you're always open to losing it all!

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I suggest not using an online wallet at all. Use a hardware cold wallet like a Trezor or Ledger Nano S. I use the Ledger which is fantastic and easy to back up. If you don't hold the private keys, you're always open to losing it all!

The problem is acquiring one of those things at rrp in a reasonable amount of time... I keep roughly $800 worth of various Cryptos on Binance and then $1700 on Coinbase. I only have two coins that I believe would actually work on a hardware wallet. The other 3 or 4 aren't compatible. 

Edited by bigboy61

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, bigboy61 said:

The problem is acquiring one of those things at rrp in a reasonable amount of time... I keep roughly $800 worth of various Cryptos on Binance and then $1700 on Coinbase. I only have two coins that I believe would actually work on a hardware wallet. The other 3 or 4 aren't compatible. 

Have you read the news? You may want to take your funds off Coinbase asap! Due to the massive suspected hack at Kraken (worse than Mt. Gox!), Coinbase and others are now beginning to restrict the movement of funds and lock accounts.

Please don't leave funds on an exchange as some nasty crap is happening right now with Kraken being the first to face collapse.

It seems like Kraken's security wasn't very good after all as this is looking like an inside job.

Guys.... I'd hold off on new crypto investing if I were you until the dust settles. I've now put all funds on several cold wallets and will wait it out. I am NOT trading until further notice.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
8 hours ago, crayxlp said:

heeyy... dont scare me! I need to send ETH from coinbase on Monday UK midday to BABB ICO.. 

IS THE KRAKEN DEAD ???

I don't want to scare anybody, but the Kraken collapse could be real. Please tell me that you've taken your ETH off Coinbase. Even though Coinbase it still online, Kraken's outage has sent shockwaves and instability around the globe. Now is the time to keep tokens safe in a wallet while this huge storm blows over. I lost close to £5000 due to Kraken's dodgy shenanigans, but I'm the type of person to brush it off and continue once the dust settles. There are some people I know who are standing to lose over £1,000,,000 due to this cock-up and one guy is even flying to San Francisco this morning to track down the Kraken CEO.

I wouldn't be surprised if some exchange employees are working together to perform the biggest heist in history.

Please... while the dust settles...  just take your funds OUT of all exchanges if you have much in there. It it really worth losing it all?

If scaring people makes them keep their funds safe, then so be it. You may think that I'm warning unnecessarily, but I know a lot of blockchain experts in the industry and some nasty, illegal stuff is going on with Kraken right now.

If you have a look at Etherscan,  you'll see that Kraken_4 (the wallet to do a runner with?) had 180,000 ETH moved to it in one go at 20:00 UST last night (would this be done in the middle of a genuine fragile/buggy update? I think not!) along with a long history of having huge amounts of ETH moving to it, never from it. This movement of many $millions worth of ETH to one single wallet is a concern as I'd expect them to distribute it across several for some redundancy.

What do you guys think? All OK and a genuine outage, albeit the biggest in history, or Mt. Gox part 2? Sorry, but I'm going with the latter!

EDIT... Kraken say that they are now preparing to go back online so I'll be checking Etherscan again for more large ETH movements. I, for one, will be logging on immediately, removing my XRP and NEVER going near them again! Even if Kraken's outage is genuine, they are going to lose so many customers that they can't possibly stay in business.

I'm still keeping my remaining funds OFF all exchanges until it's safe.

I'm done on here for now, but please add further information if you have any - thanks.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

I just got this email from Kraken. Of course, I tried to log on immediately, but the site isn't quite ready yet (they said it was!) even though my login is active. It states that withdrawals are disabled for the next 12 hours so I will wait until 00:20 UST and log in again. The moment I can withdraw everything, I will. There's no way on Earth that I will stay with these cretins now and I wouldn't be surprised if everybody jumps ship after what has happened. I'm OK, but a mate had to take a day off sick yesterday after being unable to sleep on Thursday night!

Free trading? What an insult! NOT good enough! I demand at least 10% of my funds in compensation and I'm going to mention this on reddit and other forums.

Kraken

Hi,

The Kraken website and trading is now back online, following the recent scheduled downtime necessary to upgrade our infrastructure. All client funds are safe and secure. Please take note of some important information below:

Trading

• All orders have been cancelled prior to trading resuming
    • Trading pairs launched with no orders on the books 
    • All funds in previously open orders have been returned to your available balance
  • Margin positions will remain open
  • Margin liquidations will be paused for at least 48 hours
  • Creation of new margin positions is disabled for at least 48 hours
  • Caution: Clients should be extremely careful with market orders and double-check limit order prices in an illiquid market

Funding

• Withdrawals are now disabled and will remain disabled for a minimum of 12 hours (during this time we will be monitoring the new system for anomalies)
  • For fiat or crypto deposits (initiated before, during or following the downtime) please allow a minimum of 2 additional business days for funds to be credited

Fees

• All unleveraged trades will be charged zero fees until January 31, 2018 (UTC)
  • Margin position open and rollover fees are reduced to 0.005% until January 31, 2018 (UTC)

New Accounts and Tier Upgrades

• Verifications of new accounts will be delayed and are our lowest priority
  • Tier upgrades of existing accounts have priority above new accounts
  • Note: If you are applying for a Tier 4 account or need help with OTC, please indicate this in your support request

Questions and/or Bug Bounty

We apologize for the uncertainty our downtime has caused. The scheduled downtime was to replace our old trading engine with a brand new trading engine - an improvement that customers have long asked for and that we have long been working hard on. We still have some more work to do before the new trading engine is as good as we want it to be, but this week’s replacement was an important first step to having a better trading experience. Our system is replicated in development, where all tests passed. However when the new engine was moved to the production environment, regression tests picked up a condition that proved quite difficult to track down. Further insight into the downtime and a description of actions we plan to take in order to improve the client experience will be provided via a retrospective Kraken blog post, to be published in the coming days.

With trading now resumed, the engine’s performance is being closely monitored. The site will come down if needed, which may occur with little to no notice. Please continue to refer to https://status.kraken.com for real-time updates and important announcements over the next few days.

Lastly, in appreciation for your loyalty to Kraken, we are activating zero fee trading for all clients (across non-margin trades) starting now and lasting through the end of this month.

Thank you,
The Kraken Team

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, Haay said:

@TabbyBoy Just curious ... What's your opinion of this Wallet ? --> https://greenaddress.it/en/

Oh, never mind. It's only Bitcoin, and no altcoins. Then I'm not interested. :P

Sorry, I've never heard of it. I now only use a Ledger cold wallet and also MyEtherWallet and Blockchain.info when I'm ready to trade. I see that Kraken have really screwed up pricing on some coins and I hope they miss a couple as I could become an instant millionaire as soon as they enable trading and withdrawals. I'm watching their site like a hawk now.

I doubt the trades I have planned will work, but I will be withdrawing and closing my account as soon as I can. I've had it with them, this is the last straw.

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Anyone use Bitstamp? I have my XRP there, but just got my ledger cold wallet so I will be transferring it there soon

No me, but I will be looking at alternatives to Kraken. How do you fund Bitstamp so far? Glad to hear that you have a Ledger, they're fantastic, aren't they? I'd transfer it right now unless you're about to trade. NOTHING is safe on an exchange as Kraken demonstrated.

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Till the next one. This really seems to be a case of the blind leading the blind and completely open to abuse. Not for the weak willed.

Just similar crooks as Amazon and eBay.

I cashed out just before Xmas. With all the headlines and every man and his dog jumping on the bandwagon, it seemed like it was the right time to exit. This definently reminds me of the dotcom, commodities, tech bubbles and even lego of recent years. Key is when to get off. May well still go up in the future, but as tabby boy says it was getting rather nerve wrecking and getting out was by no means straight forward and there was no polite customer service desk to help you. Next area of focus will be those companies that can monetise the tech. Look what happened with Kodak’s share price when they announced what was a commercial proposition using block chain tech. Regulation and getting rid of the cowboys will come on time and when the serious players with deep pockets wade in, then that’s when this will become legit and it will. My bank along with others on the street are looking at this sector closely and throwing serious cash and resources at it. So it is to stay but until there is proper regulation the old saying is caveat emptar