Bitcoin and other forms of digital currency

6 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Just similar crooks as Amazon and eBay.

Not at all, they are providing a platform for people to buy and sell actual items with a real use and value. Some are over inflated, sure but at least you get something for your money.

Crypto currencies are just smoke or snake oil and when the music stops it´s a question of who is left spinning plates.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Not at all, they are providing a platform for people to buy and sell actual items with a real use and value. Some are over inflated, sure but at least you get something for your money.

Crypto currencies are just smoke or snake oil and when the music stops it´s a question of who is left spinning plates.

Go on, give it a try, you know you want to ;-)

On 1/13/2018 at 2:42 PM, Mrbigz8657 said:

Here’s a question. My brother is talking about using a self directed ira to invest in crypto currency. Has anyone ever heard of this. I’m doing the research right now but just thought I would put it out there to see if anyone has heard or tried it

Google GBTC to find out about the Bitcoin Investment Trust fund if you are just interested in Bitcoin. It's currently one of the only ways without actual cash in hand and using one of the exchanges. Other funds are supposedly coming.

Understand that you are paying a large premium for its ratio of Bitcoin holdings and there is an upcoming 91 to 1 split coming up next week. Definitely not for the faint of heart or if you care about the money. If you bought at the top at around $3500 (when BTC was around $20K) it's now trading at around $2K so a 40% loss in a month.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, grackleflint said:

Google GBTC to find out about the Bitcoin Investment Trust fund if you are just interested in Bitcoin. It's currently one of the only ways without actual cash in hand and using one of the exchanges. Other funds are supposedly coming.

Understand that you are paying a large premium for its ratio of Bitcoin holdings and there is an upcoming 91 to 1 split coming up next week. Definitely not for the faint of heart or if you care about the money. If you bought at the top at around $3500 (when BTC was around $20K) it's now trading at around $2K so a 40% loss in a month.

I would prefer one with a more diversified portfolio as Bitcoin isn't expected to do that well this year. However, you're less likely to get ripped off like you would on a cryto exchange or online wallet. Worth a look for the less risk averse among us?

On 1/12/2018 at 7:10 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Have you read the news? You may want to take your funds off Coinbase asap! Due to the massive suspected hack at Kraken (worse than Mt. Gox!), Coinbase and others are now beginning to restrict the movement of funds and lock accounts.

Please don't leave funds on an exchange as some nasty crap is happening right now with Kraken being the first to face collapse.

It seems like Kraken's security wasn't very good after all as this is looking like an inside job.

Guys.... I'd hold off on new crypto investing if I were you until the dust settles. I've now put all funds on several cold wallets and will wait it out. I am NOT trading until further notice.

I have ordered a Ledger Nano S, but it won't ship until March.

Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

I have ordered a Ledger Nano S, but it won't ship until March.

Great, it's good to keep funds offline. Just make sure that you write down (never type) your private key. I've also ordered a second Ledger Nano S as I've filled the first one due to amount of different tokens I have.

Kraken is back up now and funds are safe. OMG... that was scary and I'll never use them again. I still think something dodgy was going on.

I was going for BABB ICO today, but I think it could be Polybius all over again where token value crashed from $10 to $2 post ICO. I'll take a look once they're on an exchange as long as it's not Kraken only.

I got Ethereum when it was still worth a lot less than it is now, so my ETH is in the green. I'll leave it be and just enjoy the ride on that one. See where it goes during 2018. :) 

My Bitcoin Cash on the other hand was bought at a bad moment when it was higher than it is now. But it was 'free cash' from selling off all my Bitcoin profits, so I consider that as play-money. Just hoping that BCH will gain some traction in the course of this year. 

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Great, it's good to keep funds offline. Just make sure that you write down (never type) your private key. I've also ordered a second Ledger Nano S as I've filled the first one due to amount of different tokens I have.

Kraken is back up now and funds are safe. OMG... that was scary and I'll never use them again. I still think something dodgy was going on.

I was going for BABB ICO today, but I think it could be Polybius all over again where token value crashed from $10 to $2 post ICO. I'll take a look once they're on an exchange as long as it's not Kraken only.

sooo.. you couldnt resist after all .. right?  ;) with all that your talk (confirmatiions) from your other half like they do not have any kind of a UK approval / certificate to offer e-payments....  I was really surprised they havent sold it out within the first day.

Guest TabbyBoy
32 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

sooo.. you couldnt resist after all .. right?  ;) with all that your talk (confirmatiions) from your other half like they do not have any kind of a UK approval / certificate to offer e-payments....  I was really surprised they havent sold it out within the first day.

I did resist, I didn't bother with BABB today. The Polybius ICO gave me a rough ride so I'm going to wait for the BAX token to hit exchanges first. I'm still awake so "riding-the-waves" with XRP right now and doing OK. Most coins took a big hit today due to South Korea's uncertainty which was now unfounded. Let's hope that the markets pick up in the morning once the Asians finish for the day. I hear that Ripple is teaming up with Western Union who transfer a lot of money so watch this space if the news is true.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I did resist, I didn't bother with BABB today. The Polybius ICO gave me a rough ride so I'm going to wait for the BAX token to hit exchanges first. I'm still awake so "riding-the-waves" with XRP right now and doing OK. Most coins took a big hit today due to South Korea's uncertainty which was now unfounded. Let's hope that the markets pick up in the morning once the Asians finish for the day. I hear that Ripple is teaming up with Western Union who transfer a lot of money so watch this space if the news is true.

I owned a hundred something XRP tokens. I sold them all at 1.90 . 

Guest TabbyBoy
6 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

I owned a hundred something XRP tokens. I sold them all at 1.90 . 

Better than selling them now!

I sold out a couple of hours ago and just bought back in meaning an extra 12% XRP without it costing me. It's not only South Korea trying to ban again today, it's now China, France and Germany wanting to regulate. I don't think we can enjoy this volatility much longer if it all becomes regulated. It goes against the idea of most crypto. Maybe move some to Darknet?

BTW... I sold 2000 XRP and bought back 2248 XRP using the same funds  within an hour!

Edited by TabbyBoy
Crap iPad keebored

Guest TabbyBoy
30 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yes, GBH was a very similar thing. Women of NASA too. It just seems Lego bubbles are over a lot quicker. Plus, at worst you still have a load of plastic bricks to play with or step on.

21312's bubble never existed in the UK, but it will once it retires. 21312 is in a different league to 21110 and I see really good times ahead. If it comes to the worst, I'll be one of the few who can offer it as a freebie to accompany 21309.

TBH... I thought GBH was a total turkey anyway, like most big sets are and avoided it like the plague.

A lot fail to understand that volatility is what makes us profit in the cryptoverse. I'm having a whale (no pun intended) of a time this morning skimming profits off XRP as it's up and down like a pavement-pounder's draws today. I may even double my holdings if my strategy plays out.

I will continue to stick my neck out and say that crypto trading reaps far larger rewards than LEGO. It's risky, but I love it.

OK... so is it time for "Mr Excel" to create a new game? Shall we list the 10 top crypto by CoinMarketCap and 10 LEGO sets (the best performing recently retired sets) and see how we get on? I think LEGO will lose - sorry! ;-). I'll predict now that crypto will go up by at least 5x and LEGO 1.3x.

If you do this... I will send you 25x XRP for your time and effort which could easily be £100+ in a few months. You just need to set up a wallet and give me your address.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, pharmjod said:

GBH refers to gingerbread house, not Ghostbusters headquarters which is what I assume you meant talking about big sets.

Sent from my PH-1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Is it time that we stopped using acronyms? ;-) Yes, I meant the red and grey money-pit ;-)

The Gingerbread House will still do well next Xmas now that there's less in the wild. I held on to most of mine last Xmas as soon as the race to the bottom started.

I've seen my cryptofolio go up by 25% overnight before where my brickfolio struggles with that in a year. On the whole, my cryptofolio has never gone down in the space of a month where my brickfolio has - often.

As you can see, LEGO is now second-fiddle to my crypto trading and has been for the last year. Don't get me wrong, I still love LEGO and always will.