The Lego Movie

Darth Lego

The Lego Movie  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you seen The Lego Movie?

• 6 - 9
    • 10+
    • Never
  2. 2. What is your favorite set?

• 70800 Getaway Glider
    • 70801 Melting Room
    • 70802 Bad Cop's Pursuit
    • 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace
    • 70804 Ice Cream Machine
    • 70805 Trash Chomper
    • 70806 Castle Cavalry
    • 70807 Metalbeard's Duel
    • 70808 Super Cycle Chase
    • 70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair
    • 70810 Metalbeard's Sea Cow
    • 70811 The Flying Flusher
    • 70812 Creative Ambush
    • 70813 Rescue Reinforcements
    • 70814 Emmet's Construct-o-Mech
    • 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
    • 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!
    • 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack
    • 70818 Double-Decker Couch
    • 70819 Bad Cop Car Chase

The new sets are insane values.

Batman set is only $10?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Batman-Super-Angry-Kitty-Attack-70817

Double-Deck Couch, Emmet's Car, Emmet with hard hat, Benny, Lord Business, Uni-Kitty and Ghost Vitruvius for $15. Plus a hot dog and waffle!!!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Double-Decker-Couch-70818

It's hard to pass up police alligators, but for the same price Bad Cop's Chase looks much better than his Pursuit.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Bad-Cop-Car-Chase-70819

Add Slave I, Elsa's Castle and the Detective's Office and everything is indeed awesome to start off 2015.

I like this post from earlier in the year.

LIke any pop trend, hype over the Lego Movie is passing us by, and the bulk of these sets are quickly becoming static sellers. Sea-Cow and (hopefully) Benny will remain in demand as future film iterations are rolled out.

Investment-wise, IMO, little to be excited about.

But for the family to build together, we acquired most of these- and had a great time with the kids building them with the movie on in the background.

I like this post from earlier in the year.

LIke any pop trend, hype over the Lego Movie is passing us by, and the bulk of these sets are quickly becoming static sellers. Sea-Cow and (hopefully) Benny will remain in demand as future film iterations are rolled out.

Investment-wise, IMO, little to be excited about.

But for the family to build together, we acquired most of these- and had a great time with the kids building them with the movie on in the background.

I always had my doubts about this theme, for the very reasons you mentioned. Plus ultimately, the sets just weren't very good for the most part, apart from maybe the Sea Cow and Spaceship IMHO.

I just bought 2 Spaceships at 33% off and decided to hold off on buying more until I saw how the first range did post EOL.

The second movie might revive some interest, but the hype will be less as the novelty of a Lego movie will have worn off somewhat second time round.

• Like 1

I finally saw the movie a week or two ago. I have been on the hunt ever since to get one of each set on discount for the personal collection. I am so glad I saw it before the first wave retired!

If I had to pick a long, long term theme this would be it. If the cycle continues, kids today will become the middle income AFOLs who need these to complete their childhood dream collection in the coming decades. Personally that strategy isn't my thing so I am passing.

I'm not totally sold on this theme but I can see its appeal. I like the idea of the 2 in 1 sets, very transformeresque. I am a fan of the sea cow though. There was one on display at my local B&M and it was quite impressive, I'll get one eventually.

I'm also considering picking up a 70814 construct 'o' mech and starting a "Mech" display.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to pick a long, long term theme this would be it. If the cycle continues, kids today will become the middle income AFOLs who need these to complete their childhood dream collection in the coming decades.

Yeah, I quoted myself. Deal with it.

On Christmas Eve I was at Target looking for the deal someone posted. The aisle was filled with kids, about 10 of them from different families I would guess ages 8-12. They weren't looking at the Star Wars. Not the Super Heroes. Certainly not the LotR. Not even the Ninjago.

They all were talking about lego movie and pulling down boxes "OHHH COOL", "CHECK THIS OUT", "WOW".

I am going to double down on my prediction. 10 years, this will be the theme people look back on and go "nuts, why didn't I buy more at 50% off. 20% off. MSRP".

Yeah, it's a single incident with a tiny sample size. But they were rabid. And I have a feeling this is not an isolated incident. I may rethink my aversion to this series and get creative for a long haul.

• Like 4

Time to see how The Lego movie theme will perform? Bad cop`s pursuit (70802) sold out together with a more exclusive set 70812 Creative ambush. 70811 and 70813 are call to check availability. So retirement for these sets already? Thoughts on this?

BTW happy new year and all the best wishes for everyone on this great forum. Thanks for an amazing year of laughter and a lot of information!

Time to see how The Lego movie theme will perform? Bad cop`s pursuit (70802) sold out together with a more exclusive set 70812 Creative ambush. 70811 and 70813 are call to check availability. So retirement for these sets already? Thoughts on this?

BTW happy new year and all the best wishes for everyone on this great forum. Thanks for an amazing year of laughter and a lot of information!

Sounds like a good sign but these sets are still very much alive and kicking here. The only signs I see here are that 70811 and 70812 are currently discounted on Lego site. Online retailers still seem to have plenty of stock for 1st gen sets ("exclusive" sets in the bunch included) but we all know how quickly that can change.

Well here's a real kick in the bricks. Earlier it was reported the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has stated that The Lego Movie is not considered one of the five best animated films for 2014. Instead the film gets nominated for an Oscar in Best Original Song with of course "Everything Is Awesome". The five animated films which did make the list are The Boxtrolls, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Big Hero 6, Song of the Sea, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya. I will admit those are all good although I haven't seen the last three yet. Actually I didn't even know Song of the Sea and Princess Kaguya were out yet.

Still by comparison, I don't quite see how The Lego Movie wasn't up to snuff with the likes of Big Hero 6 for example. Ah well, not like I need some institution to tell me how awesome The Lego Movie is. And for those who didn't 'get' The Lego Movie, well, sucks to be you.

• Like 3

Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has stated that The Lego Movie is not considered one of the five best animated films for 2014. (...) The five animated films which did make the list are The Boxtrolls, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Big Hero 6, Song of the Sea, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya.

the_le11.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 1

I like reading behind the scenes stuffs. The revelation about getting license for SW characters and Superman was the highlight for me.

I mentioned this upthread, but if you are interested in seeing some things mentioned in the above article, I recommend watching the bonus features in BluRay edition of the LEGO Movie.  I have the "Everything is Awesome" edition and getting to see how the LEGO creators work in their HQ was a cool bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

well, what can i say ... i just finished watching this movie ... yup, thats right ... it took me this long ...

well, i actually enjoyed it ... probably because Lego is a part of my life right now ... if i wasnt into investing at the moment i wouldnt have enjoyed it as much ...

thumbs up ... now i can relate to all the sets out there ...

• Like 4

well, what can i say ... i just finished watching this movie ... yup, thats right ... it took me this long ...

well, i actually enjoyed it ... probably because Lego is a part of my life right now ... if i wasnt into investing at the moment i wouldnt have enjoyed it as much ...

thumbs up ... now i can relate to all the sets out there ...

Better late than never. Glad you enjoyed it. :good: