9398 - 4x4 Crawler

Brynanm1213

That was a very decent price! According to Feb data the gap has really closed between this and the Unimog which surprises me a lot.

The Unimog is underperforming compared to other Technic flagships - whether it be because of hoarding or because it is a static model.

That was a very decent price! According to Feb data the gap has really closed between this and the Unimog which surprises me a lot.

The Unimog is underperforming compared to other Technic flagships - whether it be because of hoarding or because it is a static model.

I my opinion Unimog is not as good looking set. And Mercedes licence is to little.

4X4 is eye catching and good alternative for people who cannot afford limited edition one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

When you compare the Unimog to the 4x4 Crawler I think the Crawler is more aimed at younger builders. Mostly the AFOL's who take themselves seriously already bought the Unimog. Kids just are more drawn to the 4x4. So parents are more eager to buy the 4x4 for their kids. Also I suspect the Unimog is a more difficult build. But maybe the Technic experts can confirm that. 

IMO I don't think it's from hoarding. It's because Techic is a slow climber.

Yes but 4x4 crawler already reached the price of the unimog... quite disturbing, and I don't think it's because the 4x4 is a "huge winner": it's just because the Unimog is a dud.

Someone here showed us an excel document (and don't remember in which topc) and the Unimog was one of the technics sets with the lower ROI (comparison made if bought at RRP).

The unimog is a slow climber, yes. But wait for the 42009 MKII to be EOL and I bet you'll see it will quickly get lots of value within few months, like the 4x4 does actually. :)

Note: this is going off topic so I'm going to discuss about the rest in the appropriate topic (8110).

Yeah I don't really see the point in investing in Technic. Sure if you love the theme then by by all means buy, but with the size of some of these sets plus the slow growth I just think there are way better places to put your money.

Scenario for the biggest technic sets:

1. a set is released on year XXXX for $200

2. you buy it on year XXXX + 2 with 20-30% off

3. on year XXXX + 3 it's sold-out/retired, the price rises quickly up to RRP

4. on Xmas of year XXXX + 3 you resell it 20% above RRP (or higher if the set performs well)

and so on.

So overall about 35% ROI within a year (considering fees). Typical for technic sets (sets with RRP more than $80, little technic sets sold less than $20 are bad investments, because low profits and a waste of time IMO). :)

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Scenario for the biggest technic sets:

1. a set is released on year XXXX for $200

2. you buy it on year XXXX + 2 with 20-30% off

3. on year XXXX + 3 it's sold-out/retired, the price rises quickly up to RRP

4. on Xmas of year XXXX + 3 you resell it 20% above RRP (or higher if the set performs well)

and so on.

So overall about 35% ROI within a year (considering fees). Typical for technic sets (sets with RRP more than $80, little technic sets sold less than $20 are bad investments, because low profits and a waste of time IMO). :)

Good strategy, do you apply the same logic to licensed Technic sets like the the Mercedez and Volvo sets?

Your strategy would have even worked with 41999 if you tweaked the time (years for example). The growth is pretty much slowed to a halt the last time I checked (Jan 2015)

do you apply the same logic to licensed Technic sets like the the Mercedez and Volvo sets?

Yes.

IMO licences are great so sets can be hold a long time. So it's a safer investment if you want to seat on these sets for 5 years.

But because I resell my Technic sets quite quickly after EOL, I do not change anything considering the few time I hold them.

Note that I don't want to keep my sets for a long time because, as I said before, in my country people do not buy Technic sets more than 300

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Unimog will cost you $50 more than the 4x4 on amazon. It's not exactly caught up yet. $50 is a long way to go in Technic terms. 

"Dollars", indeed... And why are you talking about amazon ? Is it an accurate way to estimate the price of items ? I thought "sold item" on ebay and other selling sites would be more accurate.

Even if you consider amazon prices, the 9398 has just retired and the unimog is one year older: 50$ difference is no much considering they are $180 sets.

@valenciaeric

I agree with the 9395 but not the 9396. I wish I had more 9396 (helicopter): all my sets are already sold (around 120

Edited by biniou

"Dollars", indeed... And why are you talking about amazon ? Is it an accurate way to estimate the price of items ? I thought "sold item" on ebay and other selling sites would be more accurate.

I sell on amazon. If I sell a unimog I'll make $50 more than a 4x4. $50 is a big difference to me. 

fwiw I'm not selling either of these for at least another year. 

I have 24 9398 got most for about $120-130 I think these will do great for people to build and play with, as for the 41999 Crawler I think mostly Collectors are buying these as if I had one I would not want to build it and play with it. So it the long run Most average Lego fans will buy and build and play with the 9398 Version.

There is one other element that may influence the growth rate on this set in a positive way - the latest flagships (volvo and actros) are priced well above 200 euros so when people come back into Lego and want the older 200 euro models such as 9398, 42009 and 8110 they already know that the new ones have  higher pricing points.

It seems to be easier for Lego to raise their Technic range prices than those of modulars (as witnessed with the Town Hall).

Typical for technic sets (sets with RRP more than $80, little technic sets sold less than $20 are bad investments, because low profits and a waste of time IMO). :)

Not sure if it's different in Europe, but check out 9391 Tracked Crane values. There's only one on eBay less than $75!