9398 - 4x4 Crawler

Brynanm1213

I think to unload all of them now. But im not 100% sure. This is my first technic set I attempt to sell. So, my experience is zero. Sell or not to sell?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Brickpicker mobile app

Give me one good reason why you should sell them now? The biggest price jump has yet to happen.

Buy in Price is a reason. If you got more than 40% off you might as well sell this year and reinvest in other stuff that will grow quicker instead. If you paid full RRP or got a small discount then better to hold.

Edited by valenciaeric

Give me one good reason why you should sell them now? The biggest price jump has yet to happen.

I was thinking to sell it and reinvent in to MK2. Crane is slowly doing away and looks like is good time to pick up some now. My wallet is limited :( and I have to move stuff from time to time for same new investment. But you have very very strong point.

I was thinking to sell it and reinvent in to MK2. Crane is slowly doing away and looks like is good time to pick up some now. My wallet is limited :( and I have to move stuff from time to time for same new investment. But you have very very strong point.

I would actually decide depending on the prices you could get. If you can sell your 4x4 for >200

• Like 1

I can second the opinions of the guys above. Technic is like red wine, needs time to mature! If bought with good discounts, It can give you very decent returns! But it's a slow and steady growth.

I am itching to sell some of the 9397s I have, but common sense prevails each time I think about it. They need more time unfortunately.

I can second the opinions of the guys above. Technic is like red wine, needs time to mature! If bought with good discounts, It can give you very decent returns! But it's a slow and steady growth.

I do agree but the reissue of the Race Truck bothers me a lot.

(set #8041 => #42041, and note that both end wit ***41)

Not the good topic but I had to mention it (not sure it worths its own topic).

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

really wish i would have purchased one of these.  as much as my kids and i enjoy 41999 and it's great design, everything i read states  9398 handles better for various reasons.  it might even be a tad faster due to less weight than 41999. 

I love this set and it will do very well.

Just my 0.02

really wish i would have purchased one of these.  as much as my kids and i enjoy 41999 and it's great design, everything i read states  9398 handles better for various reasons.  it might even be a tad faster due to less weight than 41999. 

Auctions still end under $200. You have a little time to get one at a fair price. 

More than the reissue of the race truck, it is the (relatively) poor growth of the unimog that worries me. Was it really THAT hoarded or are people only interested in yellow construction equipment?

The crawler is probably worse still as it was more heavily discounted and there is also the 41999 remake to compete with. I certainly won

• Like 1

More than the reissue of the race truck, it is the (relatively) poor growth of the unimog that worries me. Was it really THAT hoarded or are people only interested in yellow construction equipment?

The crawler is probably worse still as it was more heavily discounted and there is also the 41999 remake to compete with. I certainly won

Edited by biniou

If the crawler were worth more than a unimog that would be a sad day in Technic land - a 3hr build which basically involves a mirror image of the front and rear drive trains versus 10+**** on the unimog and with all those extra useful parts.

I guess as a playset the crawler wins out but any AFOL should surely want a unimog in their collection.

I'm not sure that there are that much AFOLs involved in the Technics collection... :)

Technic always has been a niche market. If everybody starts to hoard multiple Unimogs it will flood the market. Look at how many there are on ebay. Too many I am affraid.

Technic always has been a niche market. If everybody starts to hoard multiple Unimogs it will flood the market. Look at how many there are on ebay. Too many I am affraid.

I think unimog is the first big technic set to be hoarded in large numbers. It's growth has been a bit slower than past large technics. It's moving along...

There are more people than ever hoarding. Amazon can't keep modulars in stock, santas workshop still unobtanium in march, it's getting crazy.

One big advantage the Unimog has over the 4x4 Crawler in the long run: The Unimog is a licensed model that was made because Mercedes-Benz wanted to promote the real vehicle that had been newly introduced to the market. Meaning: The Unimog U400 LEGO set will never ever be made again. If another Unimog ever comes out, it will be a new version - U1000 or whatever. So while 8110 will stay unique forever, the 4x4 Crawler can come back anytime.

Just to put this right: I've done a little bit of research and have to correct that the Unimog LEGO set was not done because of the introduction of a new model but because of the 60th anniversary of the Mercedes-Benz Unimog brand. Well, besides this correction, the rest I said above stays the same: No need to ever make the U400 as a LEGO set ever again.

Edited by rfish