9398 - 4x4 Crawler

Brynanm1213

I tried using the 20% coupon today (the one posted in daily deals), cashier scanned it, but then told me it wouldn't work on clearance items.  I'm sure whether it didn't take or if she was just following the rules.  I may try another TRU later today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty new at this Lego collecting thing, but I'm learning quite a bit.  I just noticed that Amazon US has this at a $35 discount, and they have this in their Product Description area:

• Discontinued by manufacturer: Yes

Although, the line above that indicates this item is the #10 seller in Trading Cards.  

Perhaps just this data is screwed up, but I bought 2 as an investment anyway

Yep, and along with it should go sets 42000-42007 and maybe 42008 too.

42008 is only a little over a year old. And if 42008 retired I would think 42009 MKII would as well since they came out at the same time. I would think 42010 and 42011 would go first since they came out in 2012. But I am just guessing. I really have no idea how retirement works and as has been shown over and over I am an idiot.

• Like 1

That is the lowest I have heared so far. Well done!

I was lucky and got one for 105 euros, shipping included! Anyway anything below 120 euros is a seriously good deal when you consider all the PF parts included. I hope to be able to snag a Volvo for less than 140 euros but it is going to be tough.

Hi

Here in Austria bevor Chrismas at the Metro wholesale there was 25% Discount and so there it was possible to get the 9398 for this 107

42008 is from August 2013 but has got pretty bad reviews, contains pneumatic parts which are supposed to cease production and is apparently not a huge seller so I would not be surprised if retired in January 15 or summer 15 at the latest.

42009 should stick around till Jan 16 as flagships normally have 2.5 year lifespans.

Edited by valenciaeric

42008 is only a little over a year old. And if 42008 retired I would think 42009 MKII would as well since they came out at the same time. I would think 42010 and 42011 would go first since they came out in 2012. But I am just guessing. I really have no idea how retirement works and as has been shown over and over I am an idiot.

Indeed...

Last year, all 2012 sets (939X) sets have retired (December 2013/January 2014) except the 9398 (which is retiring now, because as always, the most expensive technic set stays in the catalog 1 more year that the other products released the same year).

Now, all the 2013 sets (4200X and 4201X) are retiring (December 2014/January 2015), except the 42009 (biggest set).

On December 2015/January 2016, will be the 2014 sets (4202X and 4203X), except the 42030. The 42009 will retire at the same time (around Xmas 2015)

And so on until Lego change its overall EOL strategy (1 year and a half or two years for technic sets, 2 years and a half for the biggest technic set of the year).

BTW you don't have to just look at the year of release, because a december 2011 set and a july 2012 set belong to the same "year", even if they are not Technically speaking..

Technic sets do seem to be more predictable when it comes to EOL.  

Other sets seem to be pretty random, with the only thing you can tell is that they won't retire a set in under 6 months (although if Tumbler doesn't come back, even that bold prediction will be wrong!)

Technic sets do seem to be more predictable when it comes to EOL.  

I think that Technic sets were always easier to predict the EOL for, but five years ago, predicting the EOL of any set was a lot simpler than it is now. The times have changed and one day in the future it will not be as easy to predict the EOL of the Technic sets.