Talking Stocks in 2021

jaisonline

15 hours ago, Foreman Porgy said:

Just make sure you have 25k in your account and they go away. 

Yeah. When I first received the warnings I had to look it up to see what I was in for. Apparently you used to be able to day trade with 1k in your portfolio and they changed it to 25k. I simply transferred 25k and kept on keeping on.

Disclosure: I sniff lead paint, follow sheep and rocket to the moon while eating cold chef Boyardee.

Edited by KvHulk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

Yeah. When I first received the warnings I had to look it up to see what I was in for. Apparently you used to be able to day trade with 1k in your portfolio and they changed it to 25k. I simply transferred 25k and kept on keeping on.

Disclosure: I sniff lead paint, follow sheep and rocket to the moon while eating cold chef Boyardee.

i like flowers

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KvHulk said:

I eat glue, crayons, and I also like flowers.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 12:44 PM, exracer327 said:

I'll give y'all a stock that is very boring and very cheap.  CIK - $3 stock price, pays 8+% dividend, which is paid monthly.  Technically it's not a stock but a fund.  I have owned it for over 20 years and the dividend has never fallen below 6% (varies depending on the stock value which fluctuates between $2 - $3.5.)

just wanted to throw this back up and thanks again to EXRACER327.

As far as a great conservative place to park $ and get a solid return...I tried it and got basically 7.8% annual yield in monthly installments looking back at the last 4 months. The stock itself happen to have went up by like 20 cents but that's not the reason to buy..just gravy.

I know many here would scoff at such laughable gains...but my investment strategy is hyper conservative and compared to bank savings giving 0.1% interest or less and 5 year CDs offering a feeble 1-2%...CIK feels like a gold mine to me.

• Like 7

I think it was irresponsible of me to make such a one-sided post.  CIK trades in "junky" bonds (industry reviewer term) so there is the downside risk if the "non-investment grade" companies start defaulting. So there is definitely some risk.  Also their capital is like $200M which is pretty small. If you look at their history the stock price has moved back and forth between $2.50-$3.50 which I think mimics the market's tolerance for risk during good and bad times.

They survived 2020 which I think is a litmus test of sorts for every business...altho some believe the real test is when the government stops bailing out Wall St. (will the government EVER stop? [the answer here is "NO!"])

On 3/12/2021 at 7:42 AM, Darth_Raichu said:

The more I watch the stocks the more I hate myself.  I am going back to selling plastic toys on the internet.  Much simpler, less stressful  :D :D :D

Tell me about it. I am just going to park my money in spy and leave it alone for 20 years.

2 minutes ago, REDUCE523 said:

Tell me about it. I am just going to park my money in spy and leave it alone for 20 years.

reminds me of my failed attempts at day trading an eon ago

Being on the west coast Folks would say how hard is it waking up at 5am every morning (PST)?

...not hard at all...if I could even sleep...no need to set an alarm clock..if I had a position and an earning statement was coming out...my eyes would pop open around 4am. It was 100% gambling w/ all the adrenaline fuels ups and down.

just wanted to throw this back up and thanks again to EXRACER327.
As far as a great conservative place to park $ and get a solid return...I tried it and got basically 7.8% annual yield in monthly installments looking back at the last 4 months. The stock itself happen to have went up by like 20 cents but that's not the reason to buy..just gravy.
I know many here would scoff at such laughable gains...but my investment strategy is hyper conservative and compared to bank savings giving 0.1% interest or less and 5 year CDs offering a feeble 1-2%...CIK feels like a gold mine to me.

Try T
It’s safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, donbee said:

Try T
It’s safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty much what I do with my money looking for a home. Give or take a 7% dividend, compounded annually, and I should be making some good money come retirement.

Also, HBO Max should be huge. Everyone at my work is switching to it over Netflix now, and they are my version of market research.

49 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

I've always gone by the mantra "buy what you know" and this fits that bill.

Exactly.

And as $20 on Joe vs Dan said in regards to not sleeping well when day trading. With this, I know I won't randomly become rich, but I will at least sleep well at night.

• Like 1

A wise person once told me to buy what I know. So I looked around my office (which was filled with Apple computers) so I bought AAPL stock (before the iPod existed). I still own it. That was fantastic advice. Fingers crossed as AAPL has earnings after bell close today.

• Like 3

A wise person once told me to buy what I know. So I looked around my office (which was filled with Apple computers) so I bought AAPL stock (before the iPod existed). I still own it. That was fantastic advice. Fingers crossed as AAPL has earnings after bell close today.

Same here for years (Apple, DraftKings, UPS). Wish I did it sooner though…. E.g. this can of peas. 98cc1bd824c20f8a4d5a1e97c0774573.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 7:28 AM, spener90 said:

Also, HBO Max should be huge. Everyone at my work is switching to it over Netflix now, and they are my version of market research.

You know how the headlines are talking about "Streaming Wars" between Disney+, Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc...

They make it sound like it's an "all or nothing" zero sum type of thing...This isn't a choice between an Apple phone $1500 and Android phone $500+

It's products that cost the amounts to 2 cups of coffee at starbucks

• 2 weeks later...

Question for all of you investors out there.

I have had investment accounts for retirement for almost 20 years now (401(k); 403(b); IRA), but I’ve never dabbled in stock market investing outside of that. I’m thinking of starting a small brokerage account and managing it on my own. I’m not interested in day trading, risky speculation, or anything fancy. Just mutual funds, maybe index funds or ETFs, and wouldn’t mind trying some individual stocks, depending on account balance requirements, etc. The goal is to start out small and invest a little each month, while reinvesting any gains earned in the account.

Any advice on a good way to get started with this? The easiest for me would be to go the Merrill-Lynch self-managed account route, but I’m open to other options. Thanks!

Edited by Chormeister

1 minute ago, Chormeister said:

Question for all of you investors out there.

I have had investment accounts for retirement for almost 20 years now (401(k); 403(b); IRA), but I’ve never dabbled in stock market investing outside of that. I’m thinking of starting a small brokerage account and managing it on my own. I’m not interested in day trading, risky speculation, or anything fancy. Just mutual funds, maybe index funds or ETFs, and wouldn’t mind trying some individual stocks, depending on account balance requirements, etc. The goal is to start out small and invest a little each month, while reinvesting any gains earned in the account.

Any advice on a good way to get started with this? The easiest for me would be to go the Merrill-Lynch self-managed account route, but I’m open to other options. Thanks!

If you have a Roth IRA, play in it. If you don't have a Roth IRA, open one. You can play with your money there without worrying about yearly tax repercussions. 

https://www.investopedia.com/how-roth-ira-taxes-work-4769988

• Like 3