COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

5 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Same here. I live in a place where many well off people have their summer homes. Unfortunately since this has all begun the out of states plates are everywhere. My neighbor from NYC just got here 2 days ago to escape. Thanks Dana.. Nice to see you.

Thats the bigger issue, people just leaving the areas on lockdown to get away, possibly without knowing their own personal situation.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 2

The county next to mine has a shelter in place order but there are so many business exceptions it makes it mostly meaningless. My nieces husband works for a company that makes and installs hot tubs and they were deemed to be essential. 😆 There is no enforcement and no penalty for violating so what is the point really. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

There is no enforcement and no penalty for violating so what is the point really. 

I think the point is to get people to take this seriously. We've seen what happens when you just give people guidelines - some follow them and a whole lotta people do not. By issuing orders like this, whether they are enforced or not, I think you further up the seriousness of the situation for people and you get that many more actually adhering to the guidelines.

Where you guys have "shelter in place" orders, are they being enforced those through fines or jail time?  I assume you can still go out for essential services and recreate outside as long as you maintain proper social distancing?  One semi-local to me was put into place so I was just curious how it compares.

In San Diego, California Highway Patrol is pulling people over. My wife is HR for a bakery (good provider) and she had multiple reports from employees today that they were pulled over and would be issued a $1000 fine if they don’t produce a letter stating they are traveling to/from work.

Me, as a federal employee in an essential position, I just have to continue carrying my ID. The AG, Bill Barr, issued a memo the other day to all law enforcement agencies to allow essential federal employees to travel freely to/from work.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

I think the point is to get people to take this seriously. We've seen what happens when you just give people guidelines - some follow them and a whole lotta people do not. By issuing orders like this, whether they are enforced or not, I think you further up the seriousness of the situation for people and you get that many more actually adhering to the guidelines.

I believe the cancellation of March Madness let people know it was more serious than anything the government could say or do.

Just so we use the right version of martial.

marshalmarital.jpg

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, a lot of locals are shaming people that want to get outdoors to get fresh air. People are asking for places to go outside, but everyone just yells at them to stay home.

I get it, but at the same time, if there’s a quiet trail I could hike just to get away from everyone it would be nice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I believe the cancellation of March Madness let people know it was more serious than anything the government could say or do.

Just so we use the right version of martial.

marshalmarital.jpg

That guy in the bottom right corner seems to be thinking "Wow, I finally made it to second base".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarleyMoose said:

Same here. I live in a place where many well off people have their summer homes. Unfortunately since this has all begun the out of states plates are everywhere. My neighbor from NYC just got here 2 days ago to escape. Thanks Dana.. Nice to see you.

Yep, this is going to be an issue.  I saw two NY plates in my neighborhood the other day.

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Also, a lot of locals are shaming people that want to get outdoors to get fresh air. People are asking for places to go outside, but everyone just yells at them to stay home.

I get it, but at the same time, if there’s a quiet trail I could hike just to get away from everyone it would be nice.

LOL...Yeah, the Coronavirus Cops are out and about.  People walking their dogs are getting hassled.  I think most people I see are trying and if you are 6 feet from someone, you are pretty safe.

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

In San Diego, California Highway Patrol is pulling people over. My wife is HR for a bakery (good provider) and she had multiple reports from employees today that they were pulled over and would be issued a $1000 fine if they don’t produce a letter stating they are traveling to/from work.

Welcome to the New World Order.  They’ll brainwash enough of us by the end of this that we will be required papers to go anywhere.  Forget papers, I’m more concerned about forced vaccines and “health” implants that will allow the government to monitor our well being. 

Edited by Mathew

7 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

I agree and we are all suffering the consequences. 

H1N1 did not spread like this, fact. Lets sit down with a cold beverage and compare the two once this is over.

Yes, we are all still suffering the consequences of Obama being in office, fact.

H1N1 affected over 60 million in the US alone and resulted in an estimated 12,000+ deaths.  Not a care in the world was given to it.  We are going to have to average over 1100 deaths a month for the rest of the year to come close.  This has resulted in 900 deaths and you'd think the end of the world was here.  I'm not at all saying this might not be a little worse or that nothing should be done.  What is being done is ludicrous though in comparison.

Edited by NIevo

30 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Yes, we are all still suffering the consequences of Obama being in office, fact.

H1N1 affected over 60 million in the US alone and resulted in an estimated 12,000+ deaths.  Not a care in the world was given to it.  We are going to have to average over 1100 deaths a month for the rest of the year to come close.  This has resulted in 900 deaths and you'd think the end of the world was here.  I'm not at all saying this might not be a little worse or that nothing should be done.  What is being done is ludicrous though in comparison.

You sir, sound somewhat delusional.

Ha, Easter.  How many cities are currently back logged on testing and continue to spread? Raise your hand every 50 states! H1N1 did not have the global effect either, let alone nationally.  I have not referred to anyone other than current POTUS, yet you bring up previous POTUS. Why dont you check transmission statistics within the US rather than dwell on the past.

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Me, as a federal employee in an essential position, I just have to continue carrying my ID. The AG, Bill Barr, issued a memo the other day to all law enforcement agencies to allow essential federal employees to travel freely to/from work.

Hmmm, haven't heard of anything like that north of you.  It's definitely nice hopping on the freeways any time of day in Socal and not being in bumper to bumper.

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'm in SF Bay Area and I haven't heard anything like cops pulling over folks driving.  Sounds extreme.  Over here public shaming is probably the most that's done in terms of enforcement of the shelter in place mandate; other than officers checking to see bars were closed in SF.

The whole pulling you over and ticketing you would be impossible to enforce.  All you would have to say is that you are traveling to use one of the essential businesses.  Cops around here aren't even bothering.

Edited by NIevo

3 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Unfortunately, teens-24 year olds in US also seem more susceptible. Symptoms are also changing. Sounds like its time to be proactive rather than reactive.

What is changing and source of age?

6 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

I am by no means an epidemiologist, but it is common consensus when dealing with community transmission, social measures need to be implemented sooner, the better.  We wasted ALL of February!  And some of the things said during this time frame by our POTUS should be criminal, quite frankly.  He was and continues to be completely reckless and has caused way more harm to the economy and peoples lives then some people want to acknowledge.

I am pointing this out, because we need to learn from this historical event.  In the grand scheme of things, money can and will be replaced.     

yes, you did wasted that time. Italy did it too.. Germany also . but EU is not really the same as US as the decisions are being made. We in Europe are all totally sovereign countries and each of them takes their own precautions, limitations, rules, bans etc.. From my personal point of view, the "western Europe" - Italy, France, Spain and some others.. were just too overconfident "we are Germany.. what could happen to us .. bla bla bla. ". and since their very last life crisis was the World War II.. they just totally refused to admit this could be something severe.. so there they are. The Eastern Europe being stuck much more often in the recent decades is handling this situation much better because they still know what unexpected turns of events could oocur and bring this whole thing around. They are much more flexible, resilient, persuasive.  I truly wish that you kick that imbecile out of the US office.

21 hours ago, NIevo said:

I'm fine with however the rest of the world wants to judge us, we'll just keep on being the greatest😉

you just keep telling that to yourself.. the public facts say otherwise. Now I see that for some (be it in our country, Europe or US)..  people will the facts not matter and will stil worship the designated alpha leader of the pack due to their IQ limits. Such as you.