COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

34 minutes ago, NIevo said:

What is changing and source of age?

unless the virus changed, and we're just looking at the math

more young people are being exposed at a much higher clip (due to stupidity, if I'm guess) so although they are less likely to develop complications that justify testing...since more of them are overall exposed the number of cases with complications grew.

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

unless the virus changed, and we're just looking at the math

more young people are being exposed at a much higher clip (due to stupidity, if I'm guess) so although they are less likely to develop complications that justify testing...since more of them are overall exposed the number of cases with complications grew.

These two assholes got what they deserved...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52040205

the Deja Vu is just nuts:

"Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has accused the media of "fear-mongering" in a speech that downplayed the threat of coronavirus to the country."

Brazil has reported 2,200 confirmed infections and 46 deaths.

Well I guess if they do roll back the restrictions we will have a baseline for a country that takes the opposite path as us?

9 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Where you guys have "shelter in place" orders, are they being enforced those through fines or jail time?  I assume you can still go out for essential services and recreate outside as long as you maintain proper social distancing?  One semi-local to me was put into place so I was just curious how it compares.

here's how they enforce shelter in place in India.  punishment deep squats and stick to your dome.   probably would see an uptick in high speed chases if this comes to USA.

• Like 1

We are going to try again but with the expectation that people remain courteous and  civil while still being able to express themselves , otherwise it will be locked again . Those are stressful times for the vast majority of us , whether it be emotionally,  financially, or medically, so please think about what your fellow brick pickers might be going through before unleashing unnecessary rage. This site has become more than an investment site for most of us so let us keep pushing forward as a community. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bold-Arrow said:

We are going to try again but with the expectation that people remain courteous and  civil while still being able to express themselves , otherwise it will be locked again . Those are stressful times for the vast majority of us , whether it be emotionally,  financially, or medically, so please think about what your fellow brick pickers might be going through before unleashing unnecessary rage. This site has become more than an investment site for most of us so let us keep pushing forward as a community. 

A dog in Hong Kong tests positive for the coronavirus, WHO confirms

15 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Just go ahead and lock it again. It ain't going to happen. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

Just go ahead and lock it again. It ain't going to happen. 

I've stopped visiting the site as much since the conversations went from a mutual love of legos to the very spiteful tone exposed in this thread.

• Like 2

There is an independent (not associated w/hospital and free to public) local drive-thru testing center (opened recently) manned by firefighters using a local lab. They test 300-400 daily and post the numbers every 48 hours.

Basically their first report showed 25% of those tested were positive for CV.

I wish there were more details on the profile of folks being tested, but presumably I would think folks with relatively significant symptoms would take the time to get tested (I presume a long line) .

I don't really know what this means and clearly more data is needed; but my initial reaction at seeing the numbers was surprise it was so high (which tells more about me than anything else).

I know this thread can get toxic; but I dare say I have gained quite a bit of information (albeit anectdotal at best) and getting direct input from folks experiencing this all over has been helpful for me to gain understanding.  I hope we can continue.  

On 3/25/2020 at 8:42 PM, NIevo said:

I just want to see the actual report he's claiming.

It’s still to early to produce any peer vetted studies, but more and more reports coming in daily.  Here is what Dr. Fauci had to say.

’What we're starting to see is people who are younger, young, healthy, vigorous, who don't have any underlying conditions, who are getting seriously ill," Fauci said. "It's still a very, very small minority, but it doesn't mean that young people like yourself should say, 'I'm completely exempt from any risk of getting seriously ill.' And that's the reason why when we talk about being careful of physical distancing, doing the kind of social separation, it means not only for the elderly, but the young people have to do it too, for two reasons. One, you need to protect yourself because you're not completely exempt from serious illness. But two, you can become the vector, or the carrier of infection where you get infected, you feel well, and then you inadvertently and innocently pass it onto your grandfather or your grandmother or your uncle who's on chemotherapy for cancer. That's what we got to be careful.’

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/17-year-old-from-new-orleans-dies-from-coronavirus-disease/289-a76de101-d4d9-4b2d-bce1-6f9cac65a17e

• Like 2

My wife and daughter are both self-quarantining in our house. Wife has chest tightness since last weekend, daughter has a mild fever (100F, 37.7C). Both had a bit of a runny nose, some minor stomach issues, and are otherwise fine.

We called their doctors early in the week and the advice was that it could very well be CV but there was no way to tell, to self-isolate and drink lots of fluids. They didn’t prescribe tests, because even if they did, we would get turned away at the lab as there is no capacity to deal with anyone but the most critical cases.

So, as already mentioned before, infection rates are much higher than reported (and hence death rates much lower) because people with mild or non-standard symptoms are not being tested.

• Sad 1