COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

5 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Yeah, you don't seem to know alot about how things here work yet always seem to have an opinion.  Stop it with the political crap, pretty sure we were all warned.  350,000 infected???  You do realize that's not that many and more then likely we already have many times that infected.

yes, I have to admit that you are right - you already have probably more than 350+ K affected ppl within US (who havent been tested that yet). i was referring to the actual confirmed status.. my bad..  still it will get much more likely even worse.

Just now, Ed Mack said:

Accurate about what?  I cannot suggest any US news site that is honest and doesn't spin.  What I do know is CNN is all about making the situation sound worse than it is.  That is how they get ratings and make money.  Death count meters and graphics all day, every day?  BREAKING NEWS every 5 minutes.  Seriously.  Did they do that for H1N1?  No.  Please, there will be no CNN promotion on this website.

Unfortunately you are right, there really is no unbiased news sources in this country.  CNN and MSNBC are probably the worst though. 

Just now, cladner said:

feel free to actually read what i wrote.

I did unfortunately.  You said that the reason we are in trouble is that we have a Constitution that prevents the government from doing what really needs to be done to prevent the spread.

2 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

look.. Czech Rep. is a small country.. but we have been able to establish some emergency flown-in respirators mouth covers and such .. I believe the total amount pers last 2 weeks (from China) was something around 5 mil. respirators, 20 mils of mouth covers. Expenses (payments) including the cargo shipment somewhere around 100 mil USD. Delivery times since placing the order 3-5 days. now scheduled cargo flights 3 times a week.. Besides the mouth covers and respirators there are also tens of mils of hand gloves and tens of thousand of body protective suits. So.. there are really easy options how to get PROTECTIVE STUFF from China.. if you want.

To be blunt, managing a crisis in a small country is much easier than bigger one with 30 times the population and 1000x area.  Two completely different structures and population.  Completely unfair comparison, more like watermelon vs grape

7 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Unfortunately you are right, there really is no unbiased news sources in this country.  CNN and MSNBC are probably the worst though. 

I did unfortunately.  You said that the reason we are in trouble is that we have a Constitution that prevents the government from doing what really needs to be done to prevent the spread.

no I said thank god we have a constitution- government that doesn't enforce this type of lockdown but that it means it's going to be a lot harder to beat the virus because we are going to have to rely on each other to do the right things.  instead of relying on a central authority telling us EXACTLY what to do.

and yes CNN is unwatchable  i freaking cannot stand Jim Acosta.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Accurate about what?  I cannot suggest any US news site that is honest and doesn't spin.  What I do know is CNN is all about making the situation sound worse than it is.  That is how they get ratings and make money.  Death count meters and graphics all day, every day?  BREAKING NEWS every 5 minutes.  Seriously.  Did they do that for H1N1?  No.  Please, there will be no CNN promotion on this website.

regarding the breaking news. its all the same in EU ! .. ppl get scared every morning reading how the curve evolved (more postiive cases). but as much as the serious health authorities try to explain to the public that it is not the the ultimate axiom how to see the evolution of this virus spread.. - still tjhe "stupidiest" ones just lock in on the numbers. The more test any gov or health instution does (compared to a day week before).. logically reveals more infected ppl in the population.. At least 'finally" the local news started to to mention that given the more test (like 5x times)  than before logically reflects in the number of revealed infections.

I check CNBC and CNN several times a day. From what I have seen the concerns are mainly the same - stop of the economics as we see it. The latest thoughts in EU countries tend to the finidings ".. mouth covers are really really very good, but now we have to deal with the "touch" infections -. touching the handbars in the public transport, handles of the shopping carts and such".. this is the prevailing idea in EU right now.. mouth covers WORK.. but to deminish the spread you have to focus on "touches".

1 minute ago, cladner said:

I'll take Acosta over Lemmon as far as CNN goes, but yeah I would rather watch the memes and jokes over any news channel. at least they lighten up the mood somewhat 

8 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I'll take Acosta over Lemmon as far as CNN goes, but yeah I would rather watch the memes and jokes over any news channel. at least they lighten up the mood somewhat 

Im not sure in this globalised World. You are probably familiar with the "Schengen" EU concept? Approx 25+ European countries allow for their citizens and cargo to have a free passage to ANY other EU (schengen-based) country with no borders inspections whatsover. Its one of the main principles of EU treaties. Im not saying that is appreciated wholly by all but it is what the legal frame allows. 

NOW. the "schengen" area constitues MORE than all of the US territories.. roughly around 500 mil ppl. so anyone from Portuguese could (until now) travel freely from Portuguese to say Croatia, like 2500 miles away. No passports needed, no borders inspections whatsover. Also the density of the population throughout the European continent is much more dense than in US. That could also attribute to the similar spread as in NYC. Although NYC is really an extreme.. Perhaps London might be the same, but not the rest of the EU.

what i am trying tio say all the way here is - look at the data in Europe 14 days ago and that is what you will get (if not worse) in 14 days. 

Edited by crayxlp

Just now, crayxlp said:

Im not sure in this globalised World. You are probably familiar with the "Schengen" EU concept? Approx 25+ European countries allow for their citizens and cargo to have a free passage to ANY other EU (schengen-based) country with no borders inspections whatsover. Its one of the main principles of EU treaties. Im not saying that is appreciated wholly by all but it is what the legal frame allows. 

NOW. the "schengen" area constitues MORE than all of the US territories.. roughly around 500 mil ppl. so anyone from Portugues could (until now) travel freely from Portugues to say Croatia, like 2500 miles away. No passports needed, no borders inspections whatsover. Also the density of the population throughout the European continent is much more dense than in US. That could also attribute to the similar spread as in NYC. Although NYC is really an extreme.. Perhaps London might be the same, but not the rest of the EU.

what i am trying tio say all the way here is - look at the data in Europe 14 days ago and that is what you will get (if not worse) in 14 days. 

are you quoting the right person :P

3 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

NOW. the "schengen" area constitues MORE than all of the US territories.. roughly around 500 mil ppl. so anyone from Portuguese could (until now) travel freely from Portuguese to say Croatia, like 2500 miles away. No passports needed, no borders inspections whatsover. Also the density of the population throughout the European continent is much more dense than in US. That could also attribute to the similar spread as in NYC. Although NYC is really an extreme.. Perhaps London might be the same, but not the rest of the EU.

No, it's not.  Stop trying to compare the US and Europe.

Just now, Bold-Arrow said:

are you quoting the right person :P

I hope so.. if not, my apologies.. BP works sometimes in very unexpected ways for me. in this case I consider relaying my msg a bigger priority. once again Im sorry if I in anyway happened to get quoted you inapproprianetely (gawd. hope I got that word right..¨). 

Just now, NIevo said:

No, it's not.  Stop trying to compare the US and Europe.

NOW.. you are such a FOOL! .. and probably everyone sees that.. US - the "biggest, best, largest.. most effective, best armed country in the WORLD?" 

:D

Just now, crayxlp said:

I hope so.. if not, my apologies.. BP works sometimes in very unexpected ways for me. in this case I consider relaying my msg a bigger priority. once again Im sorry if I in anyway happened to get quoted you inapproprianetely (gawd. hope I got that word right..¨). 

u good, just trying to lighten up the mood here , getting slightly heated. 

20 minutes ago, cladner said:

no I said thank god we have a constitution- government that doesn't enforce this type of lockdown but that it means it's going to be a lot harder to beat the virus because we are going to have to rely on each other to do the right things.  instead of relying on a central authority telling us EXACTLY what to do.

"luckily,   in the US, we have a constitution that protects citizens against the government from doing this.

so  we are left with porous stay at home self quarantine measures that is not really halting spread.     

but we are free to hit up dollar general."

Before your edit the above is how you wrote it.  Making it sound sarcastic in that because of our Constitution we are left porous and unable to take measure to halt the spread.  If that's not how you meant it then thank god and I apologize.

Edited by NIevo

1 minute ago, Bold-Arrow said:

u good, just trying to lighten up the mood here , getting slightly heated. 

so try to keep Neevo from spitting all that flame .. Im not trying here to say that "US ppl are stupid", Im just merely trying to share our experinces from Europe. All of you can or already know the "development story" in NYC and given the lines here it seems to me - iike you do not take it for real.. or granted.. or perhaps even some of the ppl think that they are fabricated.

how are folks dealing w/ meals while presumably shelter-in-place?

My household has 2 fridges stocked so we've been cooking own meals for about 2 weeks now. it sucks.

But I figure safer than getting food delivered...no telling how sanitary the food is...businesses are so desperate that I can easily see a manager turning  a blind eye to a sick employee.

• Like 1

Most people in my mystery land here are staying away, almost everything is closed, and the sky isn't falling. I didn't think our government(s) would do anything, but they've been surprisingly competent. However, I think that the USA's poor leadership overall has made things worse (not just from the top).

Oh, and I finally blocked someone and it made this thread much more tolerable. I really appreciate the respectful parts of the discussion and wish everyone good health.

1 minute ago, crayxlp said:

I sincerely hope that you follow that rule. geez.. ! 

given aside our "mutual" disagreements - where do YOU personally see the amount of affected ppl within land US states in 3 weeks.. ? go . tell 

Not sure who your referring to but well into the millions is honestly realistic.  H1N1 was over 60 million so....

Just now, $20 on joe vs dan said:

My household has 2 fridges stocked so we've been cooking own meals for about 2 weeks now. it sucks.

But I figure safer than getting food delivered...no telling how sanitary the food is...businesses are so desperate that I can easily see a manager turning  a blind eye to a sick employee.

My wife is a stay a home mom and is a pretty good cook and the kids aren't too picky. Luckily almost everything is available in our neck of the woods, and what is not, can be easily substituted for something . We try to minimize the shopping trips to one every two weeks . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I guess that this is a reasonable approach to do. but mind you. US (not even NYC) is still not in such a dire situation as Italy or Spain and even there it has not come up until now (ever) any discussion regarding limitation of getting groceries or medicals from the pharm shops. 

1 minute ago, NIevo said:

Not sure who your referring to but well into the millions is honestly realistic.  H1N1 was over 60 million so....

"old news" .. H1N1 wasnt spreading that much, mortality rate was much lower .. PLUS .. the social media (aka Facebook, Twitter etc.) did not exist at that time.. so go figure.

6 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Going to depend on your area and how prepared you already were.  We are still able to go shopping and travel around here but even if we couldn't we have enough supplies for weeks or even a month+

1 hour ago, crayxlp said:

All I know is that concept of Schengen is about to go bye bye with Germany, Belgium, etc reintroducing border control thanks to Covid19.  Just like every other globalization ideas, all good and dandy during peace time, but it is the least anyone wants during a crisis. :P

But again, the Shengen is not a fair comparison to the US as each EU country still have autonomy to act as an independent country, just as your own example of Czech Republic.  Clearly the way Czech handle the virus is completely different than Italy.  US is 1 country with a vast territory.

By the way, any comment on those faulty Covid test kits from China?

https://news.yahoo.com/china-supplied-faulty-coronavirus-test-162306412.html 

• Like 1

I cook most of the time and my wife orders take out the other times. There are times I just need a sushi or pizza fix.