COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

56 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

according to the recent Movie: Ford vs Ferrari (a decent car flick, imo)

Ford plants put out 3 out of every 5 bombers US sent Europe to win WWII...say what you will; but Ford once represented the best of American ingenuity.

Near where I live, Mare Island was a Naval ship yard that produced a new Naval vessel EVERY MONTH for the war in the Pacific.

The US led the world through the Industrial Revolution with roots in Getting it done and getting it done fast.  

It was just a joke, if you were a car person you would get it.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily

Back in January when I first heard about this, I made it a priority to stock up. The last time I walked into a Wal Mart or store of any kind, was about a month ago. Viruses have no boundaries, or expirations dates. There is no science that proves COVID-19 will go away when it gets warmer out. I’m a relatively healthy person, but I have asthma. I’m part of the 20%. Being able to breath is a luxury for me, and a luxury no one should ever take for granted. All it would take is me breathing in respiratory droplets of someone who has the virus, and there’s a good chance I’ll need one of those ventilators. I’m literally terrified to even go for a hike outside, because I’ve seen photos of what this virus does to a persons lungs. This is a terrible thing that is happening all over the world. No one wanted it, but it’s here. We’re all at war with an invisible enemy. Now that the enemy is here, we all need to step up, do are part, and unite as a whole world. The faster we do that, the faster we defeat it, and the faster we can all go back to our daily lives.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I already said it a few weeks back. LEGO will crash if this crisis really goes into extreme mode. I hope it doesn't (as I have too much) but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

My sales have actually been really good the last 2 weeks. People stuck at home need something to do and apparently they are building Lego. My state isn't locked down and I can easily go to my small town post office and not come within 10 feet of another person so I'm still selling. We'll see how things look in another month. 

1 hour ago, jbacunn said:

My sales have actually been really good the last 2 weeks. People stuck at home need something to do and apparently they are building Lego. My state isn't locked down and I can easily go to my small town post office and not come within 10 feet of another person so I'm still selling. We'll see how things look in another month. 

Yeah, I know, but I meant a possible dramatic future. Right now it's OK.

February for me personally was just insane, better than Dec & Jan, March was meh. But I'm looking at sold listings, ebay's fire right now, just not me.

4 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I already said it a few weeks back. THE ECONOMY will crash if this crisis really goes into extreme mode. I hope it doesn't.

LEGO is a luxury item and there's always folks w/ money to spare...but it's a very tiny spec on the greater economy which is reaching Titanic-like crash potential.

The FEDs just tripled the US dept in a single stroke and will continue to print money to keep things moving...no clue what that will do to inflation...add to that potentially 10 to 15% unemployment (The peak in the last great recession was 8%) which was kick started w/ the current freeze in the economy...add to that the 30+% of small businesses failing...add to that entire entertainment industry, travel industry, restaurant industry hitting the skids all at once (and all those "GIG Economies that were supported)..it's more like the Titanic hitting 5 icebergs.

Everyone should be wearing masks when going food shopping. Keep an eye on Florida. 

https://medium.com/@Cancerwarrior/covid-19-why-we-should-all-wear-masks-there-is-new-scientific-rationale-280e08ceee71

FC4F4381-E395-4CD5-85F6-B95705CEF032.thumb.jpeg.b708255b281ffc267140afa6eb9a9c4f.jpeg
FD6B4BED-161D-401D-8F28-3D23174979B2.thumb.jpeg.254ef7849f0227590cbc5bd24f99c8dc.jpeg
Im making the trip today for my family. Mask on, no phone in store, sanitize before and after, remove clothes when home, wash eye glasses, might even shower right whrn im back. Cannot be too precautious when you dont fit the criteria for a test if youre sick and have a 5 and 3 year old.

I'll still go outside though. We live in a more rural area of NC that at least has hiking trails and a creek to play in. I have to have time to be outside, so I feel for those who live in urban development condos and the like that are really being pushed to their psychological capacity.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Im making the trip today for my family. Mask on, no phone in store, sanitize before and after, remove clothes when home, wash eye glasses, might even shower right whrn im back. Cannot be too precautious when you dont fit the criteria for a test if youre sick and have a 5 and 3 year old.

I'll still go outside though. We live in a more rural area of NC that at least has hiking trails and a creek to play in. I have to have time to be outside, so I feel for those who live in urban development condos and the like that are really being pushed to their psychological capacity.

I brought food and Household supplies to my very senior citizen parents in NJ yesterday. One thing they did is wear gloves and wipe everything down with Clorox wipes prior to bringing it inside but they are in the highest risk category, elderly with comorbidity. One thing that was good to see with the new “essential travel only” restrictions for NJ was that the roads were mainly empty. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

We will likely see waves of transmission for 12-18 months. We should get a break in the summer, but it looks likely that we will be back to some level of closure and social distancing come the fall.

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/23446/

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Yale puts this out but when asked to help with resources for the community this is their response classic NIMBY:

https://www.nhregister.com/news/coronavirus/article/Mayor-New-Haven-asks-for-coronavirus-help-Yale-15162606.php

Edited by Pseudoty

What I've learnt in 6 weeks of quarantena in Italy (we're keeping social distance since 02.21 and we moved from northern Italy to a house in the countryside in Sicily):

- change your way of life, also your way of thinking
- a pizza tastes very different now, a Neapolitan pizza is a dream now

- we have two Popes, it's the time to use both of them

- Berlusconi is immortal, bunga bunga is the key

- 50 x 41178 were not enough

- my chickens are worthy, they give us eggs no matter of famine, pandemic et cetera
- listen to Fauci, ok he's Sicilian blood but first of all he's a good and balanced scientist

https://youtu.be/_dXygGFCplk

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Yale puts this out but when asked to help with resources for the community this is their response classic NIMBY:
https://www.nhregister.com/news/coronavirus/article/Mayor-New-Haven-asks-for-coronavirus-help-Yale-15162606.php

Yale is classic elitist wasp. If it extends their reputation nationally they’ll do it. That’s basically it tough in terms of community help.

25 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

We will likely see waves of transmission for 12-18 months. We should get a break in the summer, but it looks likely that we will be back to some level of closure and social distancing come the fall.

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/23446/

It would have been nice for the author to explain to the reader that COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2 are the same thing (disease and virus).  I had to google SARS-CoV-2 just to make sure they weren't talking about two different pandemics.  Then again, Yale probably assumes that dumb LEGO investors like me aren't their target audience :P

image.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

It would have been nice for the author to explain to the reader that COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2 are the same thing (disease and virus).  I had to google SARS-CoV-2 just to make sure they weren't talking about two different pandemics.  Then again, Yale probably assumes that dumb LEGO investors like me aren't their target audience :P

image.png

The WHO changed the nomenclature for viruses to not reflect on country of origin or stigmatize a group of people a few years ago that is why this is not known as the Wuhan virus or even worse the Chinesse virus. Ebola is named for the river where it was first found and MERS for the geographic location (middle eastern). 

HIV was initially called HTLV-III which became HIV (virus) which causes AIDS (Disease). 
This one went from Wuhan Virus to 2019 Novel Coronavirus to SARS-CoV-2 (SARS-CoV-1 causes SARS) which causes CoVid-19. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

image.png

Even though you won't send your kids there, you should use your LEGO money to help them put in a new building that you get to name: "BrickLegacy Auditorium" or "Cheese Slope Hall." Something classy. Maybe they can even build it out of unopened Exo Suits. 

5 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

The WHO changed the nomenclature for viruses to not reflect on country of origin or stigmatize a group of people a few years ago that is why this is not known as the Wuhan virus or even worse the Chinesse virus. Ebola is named for the river where it was first found and MERS for the geographic location (middle eastern).

It would be nice for the WHO to actually stigmatize the customs that lead to these viruses.

Never forget the WHO is a private organization, folks... you really shouldn't treat it as an unbiased, neutral, good source of information, because it's not.

The World Health Organization is part of the United Nations and its books, accounting practices, and ethics are transparent and easily searchable by the public. That their funding is derived by member states in no way biases their mission or data. Please stop sowing distrust in institutions because of your personal beliefs.
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Never forget the WHO is a private organization, folks... you really shouldn't treat it as an unbiased, neutral, good source of information, because it's not.

You really should. They are as good as it gets. I’m wondering about your bias thinking that this UN group is a private organization. 

30 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

The World Health Organization is part of the United Nations and its books, accounting practices, and ethics are transparent and easily searchable by the public. That their funding is derived by member states in no way biases their mission or data. Please stop sowing distrust in institutions because of your personal beliefs.

Just to proof that they are part of UN, the WHO Assistant Director General dodged any question regarding Taiwan :P (TLDR: Taiwan is not considered part of UN)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1