COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

9 hours ago, crayxlp said:

Your officials are just taking an inspiration from our country - the local gov issued a nation wide declaration that EVERYBODY has to wear some kind of protective mask / scarf (whatever covering the mouth and nose) in the public effective March 15 (if Im not mistaken).. 5 days ago another ruling that every single person entering a grocery store has to wear either gloves or some other suitable protective (such as throw away microtene bags). Its really amazing how the superior, advanced western countries underestimate the situation so much.  Even here there are some who do not obey the rules / declarations but its a real minority. Sooner or later all of your government would just do the same - straighten the rules - but too late.

No mandatory rule to wear some kind of mask/scarf protection here in The Netherlands when going in public. People basically have to stay home as much as possible and only go out for necessary grocery shopping, or to stretch your legs and get a fresh nose. All while keeping the recommended 1.5 meters distance from others.

All policies of self quarantine and closed stores/restaurants/bars/cinemas/theatres/etc. have now been extended until the end of April.

• Like 1

so yesterday, the POTUS team showed us some charts.  i was hoping for them to go full  Al Davis style with an overhead projector but they didn't.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/8787545-181/barber-happy-anniversary-to-al

Anyway, i'm still concerned if the # of cases reported per day has started slowing down.  The CDC's data chart has some small fine print in gray for the last 10 days ("illnesses that began during this time may not yet be reported"). Until we get that data (or decrease the # of days for "possible unreported cases"), I'm not putting much faith into the projections.  That's just me though, always the optimist. 

I do have faith in the scientists and MDs advising POTUS especially Fauci.   

COVID-19_chartjpg.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/03/31/rochester-ny-hospitals-tighten-visitor-policy-dad-hides-covid-19-symptoms-strong-highland/5085892002/

A man who had been exposed to the coronavirus and who was himself feeling sick hid his symptoms from staff at Strong Memorial Hospital so he could join his expectant wife in the maternity center.

He confessed only when his wife began to show symptoms of COVID-19 shortly after giving birth.

26 minutes ago, Poison Girl said:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/03/31/rochester-ny-hospitals-tighten-visitor-policy-dad-hides-covid-19-symptoms-strong-highland/5085892002/

A man who had been exposed to the coronavirus and who was himself feeling sick hid his symptoms from staff at Strong Memorial Hospital so he could join his expectant wife in the maternity center.

He confessed only when his wife began to show symptoms of COVID-19 shortly after giving birth.

As the lady who deliberately sneezed on $35k worth of food got charged for terrorism, I think this dad should face the same charges.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Poison Girl said:

WTF? Why would anyone want to risk the safety of his baby, not to mention OTHER BABIES and mothers in the maternity ward ?

20 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

WTF? Why would anyone want to risk the safety of his baby, not to mention OTHER BABIES and mothers in the maternity ward ?

Yeah, that is just straight up retarded and he should be charged with a crime.  I don't care if he had a cold, regular flu or any other illness that was just reckless and selfish. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NIevo said:

Yeah, that is just straight up retarded and he should be charged with a crime.  I don't care if he had a cold, regular flu or any other illness that was just reckless and selfish. 

The broader question is why are all visitors entering hospitals (especially sensitive areas) not screened for fever or symptoms?

I won't go into how that should have been done at ALL AIRPORTS 2 months ago (TSA already does other "lame" screens, can't we add one more?);  Why is this country constantly in reaction mode...hardly nothing done to be proactive

Is the cost of a $100 remote temp monitors more than tanking the economy and a $2Trillion relief package...such short sightedness...and don't tell me about hindsight blah blah...other countries have those measures in place...are we also gonna wait till  super spreader headlines before we implement the quarantine wristbands?

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

Quarantine wristbands? What are these?

Other nations such as Taiwan and Singapore (countries that get a relative A+ for handling the pandemic BTW) have a writband they give incoming travelers that are synced w/ their cell phones.  They basically set up a perimeter around their place of residence and the wristband tracks their movement.  Its effectiveness is probably more psychological than technical; but basically tells the individual that they mean business.

In SF Bay Area, it's staggering how much higher the numbers are for Santa Clara Co. than the other 7 counties; it's also better known as "Silicon Valley" to the rest of the world. Anyway there's speculation that the reason for its disproportionate numbers is due to the Chinese travellers who returned home and probably didn't do a good job of self-quarantining.

I think there are both stupid and evil people out there that can really do harm as a potential super spreader. There needs to be some regulations and penalties with some teeth. A purposeful or negligent super-spreader is criminal in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Poison Girl said:

As ignorant as the dad is apparently his wife was already sick as well, so both of them were contagious.  I pray for the workers and for their kid.

Some details on asymptomatic spread:

One of those infections was particularly striking. A 52-year-old woman's infection was linked to her sitting in a seat at a church that had been occupied earlier in the day by two tourists who showed no symptoms but later fell ill, investigators said after they reviewed closed-circuit camera recordings of church services.

https://myfox8.com/news/coronavirus/more-evidence-indicates-healthy-people-can-spread-coronavirus/

the article is on a Singapore Study and identifies 3 types of non-symptom driven spreader:

pre-symptomatic, who do not have symptoms when they spread but develop illness a couple of days later; asymptomatic, who never develop symptoms; and post-symptomatic, who get sick and recover but remain contagious.

We have been fortunate enough to have my wife stay to at home and incubate since the beginning of pregnancy before all this developed.  The other hand, the time has also allowed her to watch all these events unfold, like a hawk.  We have been diligent in not allowing her anxiety/stress level up as we have many outs.  However, this case has us both a bit spooked this morning.  There are still some facts around the case in the question. What is known, a 7 week old baby died and was positive for covid-19. They do not say if it was the cause or not.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/connecticut/articles/2020-04-01/childrens-hospital-delays-surgeries-furloughs-400-workers

Seriously, WTF

At the last minute, Moreno lit a flare. He looked up at the camera, raising his middle finger to it. Then, just before the train smashed through the concrete barriers, he stuck the flare out the window, keeping it there all the way through impact.

He told the detectives, “I can’t wait to see the video.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/02/train-derails-usns-mercy-coronavirus/

Social distancing mandate seems to be empowering "Big Brother" approach to workplace "safety"

In addition to these measures, Amazon will also be using machine learning-powered software to monitor footage from cameras in and around buildings to ensure that employees are maintaining the safe, recommended distances from one another during shifts."

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/02/amazon-begins-running-temperature-checks-and-will-provide-surgical-masks-at-warehouses/

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Seriously, WTF

At the last minute, Moreno lit a flare. He looked up at the camera, raising his middle finger to it. Then, just before the train smashed through the concrete barriers, he stuck the flare out the window, keeping it there all the way through impact.

He told the detectives, “I can’t wait to see the video.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/02/train-derails-usns-mercy-coronavirus/

The red line here is the path of the train, the X where it ended up... what the heck did he think he was going to do? wreck the roads leading to the cruise terminal?

USNSMercy.png

39 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

The red line here is the path of the train, the X where it ended up... what the heck did he think he was going to do? wreck the roads leading to the cruise terminal?

USNSMercy.png

I have to imagine that thinking is not one of his stronger qualities. 

• Haha 1