COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

28 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I work for a church (4-15 employees).  Pre-Obama care, employer insurance costs increased avg +7% each year.  Post-Obama care, employer insurance costs increased avg +12% each year.  All my deductibles and co-pays increased Post-Obama care too.  And we had the mediocre insurance plan.  I can't imagine what the top plans cost.

There are some positives which came from it, but it has a heavy price tag.

I agree, some might have benefited, but many more suffered.  Our plans increased more in the year or two after then the previous 10 combined.

Why do you assume I haven’t been there? Canadians go there all the time. And I’m sorry but reading about and researching things is how knowledge is gained and spread. Or are you ignoring what foreign doctors say about COVID because they haven’t lived in the US? I guarantee the plague doesnt care. 
I just said in my last post that just because I have visited a country doesn't mean that I know what it is like to live and work in that country and in turn know what it is like to be a citizen in that country. So just because you have visited the US doesn't mean that you know what it is like to be American.

A different kind of knowledge is gained by life experience, or are you ignoring that? Yes, you can read about facts and research but that doesn't tell the whole story of a society. You can read cultural articles, but that only gives you that one author's insight or opinion.

There is no substitute for first hand experience is what I am saying.

7 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

I just said in my last post that just because I have visited a country doesn't mean that I know what it is like to live and work in that country and in turn know what it is like to be a citizen in that country. So just because you have visited the US doesn't mean that you know what it is like to be American.

A different kind of knowledge is gained by life experience, or are you ignoring that? Yes, you can read about facts and research but that doesn't tell the whole story of a society. You can read cultural articles, but that only gives you that one author's insight or opinion.

They teach management and leadership Min schools all over the world. You don’t have to reside in America to know a bad leader when you see one. Life experience is great and all but there are objective facts. And Trump doesn’t know what they are.

My point of view does not originate from a political viewpoint. It comes from a national pride viewpoint. I don't really care for those outside our country trashing our president. You aren't going to accomplish anything by doing this... you aren't going to make a Trump supporter suddenly change their mind about him because you called him an imbecile. You are just going to needlessly piss others off, so what is the point behind it?

People change their minds and politics based more off of their own personal problems and experience. I voted for Clinton (Bill, not Hillary), Gore, Kerry, Obama, Romney and Trump. Simply because things had changed in my life that made me see things differently. Not because of anything anyone on the internet has ever posted nor because of anything I saw on a biased news network.

• Like 2

They teach management and leadership Min schools all over the world. You don’t have to reside in America to know a bad leader when you see one. Life experience is great and all but there are objective facts. And Trump doesn’t know what they are.
You have the luxury of hindsight speaking about facts of this. A lot of what the president is bashed for on here was not a known fact at the time. It is also a leaders job to keep everyone calm. If you were president of the US and knew that there was a world wide shortage of masks and hospitals were going to need the majority of them in the coming months, would you go on TV and tell everyone that they needed masks? Or would you try to curb panic buying so the medical professionals who need them most would have greater access to them?

I just retired from the US Navy last September after 23 years. I have seen many great leaders and know what they look like. I have also seen people call those great leaders incompetent because they disagreed with one or more of their policies. Just because you disagree with a leaders policy doesn't mean that person is a bad leader.
  • Like 1

And yeah, they teach management and leadership courses everywhere and as soon as the people who took those courses graduate they get CEO jobs with fortune 500 companies right? No, because... wait for it... they don't have any experience...

Sounds like lots of pride being hurt. Pretty sure, last I checked, Covid-19 was not handing out a spirit award. 

Sure people tell white lies all the time. But to have the commander in chief tell lies that will directly cause thousand of innocent deaths?  (120k-220k projected) Ummm, pretty certain that’s different that ‘did you finish your vegetables Timmy?’

I can imagine how frustrating it is for the rest of the world watching our reaction.  We had ample warning and ignored countries experiences and research. And that’s the problem to this day why uncertainty is currently in charge, our gov’t so far has been reactive, not proactive.  

we need confident, poised leadership, not one that likes to play in the dirt and sling mud at the media(as entertaining as it may be).  Because that kind of behavior gets us where we are today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:I just retired from the US Navy last September after 23 years. 

Thank you for you services sir 🙏.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns it the end looking back and how it stacks up against other historical tragedies. 

myself and what I’m teaching daily to family and friends, if anything this shows the importance of being proactive in any given situation. It will help you through all walks of life and needs to be one of the most important, if not the most important lesson from this all.(source of info is right up there too.)

CDC has yet to update their guidelines to include mandatory masks for health care workers...get this...during birth, BIRRTH! How many states are looking to the feds for direction? Too many...

And with perfect timing Trump has now taken actions that directly affect those outside his borders. The following is one version of many such threads which are spreading around Canada virally right now. This is why “people outside the US” think they have reason to comment on what the US does. 

“To all my American friends, your President has just asked 3M to stop sending N95 masks to Canada. The memory of your President is short. 

Things that Canada did during 911 have obviously been forgotten by the moron that Donny has shown himself to be. Canadians took in thousands of stranded Americans in Newfoundland when planes were told to land immediately. Canadians took these people in free of charge as they had to await days to head home. 

Following that, our soldiers stood side by side with our US neighbors and some of them made the ultimate sacrifice on our and your behalf in Afghanistan. 

Some of you may remember the covert operation that helped save the lives of Americans being held in Iran made possible by Canada’s embassy sheltering Americans as seen in the film Argo. 

To say that Canadians are pissed at this is an understatement. I along with many others in Canada from coast to coast hope that your President rescinds this directive immediately and understand that Canadians are your closest allies in the world. We may be small but we have helped your country out without asking for anything back on countless issues.

Don't let our memories include this shortsighted and dangerous directive. 

Approximately a thousand medical workers cross the Ambassador bridge from Canada everyday to work in the Metro Detroit area hospitals. Workers that can be placed to work back in our country at this challenging time. I don't think you'll want that or similar actions to happen. 

As Canadians, we are watching closely at what is happening in your country. We are all pulling for you to come through this with the least damage possible and least number of deaths. May God Bless you all but don't forget those whom have always stood at your side as not just friends but also as family.“

• Like 3

And with perfect timing Trump has now taken actions that directly affect those outside his borders. The following is one version of many such threads which are spreading around Canada virally right now. This is why “people outside the US” think they have reason to comment on what the US does. 
“To all my American friends, your President has just asked 3M to stop sending N95 masks to Canada. The memory of your President is short. 
Things that Canada did during 911 have obviously been forgotten by the moron that Donny has shown himself to be. Canadians took in thousands of stranded Americans in Newfoundland when planes were told to land immediately. Canadians took these people in free of charge as they had to await days to head home. 
Following that, our soldiers stood side by side with our US neighbors and some of them made the ultimate sacrifice on our and your behalf in Afghanistan. 
Some of you may remember the covert operation that helped save the lives of Americans being held in Iran made possible by Canada’s embassy sheltering Americans as seen in the film Argo. 
To say that Canadians are pissed at this is an understatement. I along with many others in Canada from coast to coast hope that your President rescinds this directive immediately and understand that Canadians are your closest allies in the world. We may be small but we have helped your country out without asking for anything back on countless issues.
Approximately a thousand medical workers cross the Ambassador bridge from Canada everyday to work in the Metro Detroit area hospitals. Workers that can be placed to work back in our country at this challenging time. I don't think you'll want that or similar actions to happen. 
As Canadians, we are watching closely at what is happening in your country. We are all pulling for you to come through this with the least damage possible and least number of deaths. May God Bless you all but don't forget those whom have always stood at your side as not just friends but also as family.“

Settle down Canada. We know what you’re planning.

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

Not everyone has forgotten, just some of those in charge

2 hours ago, jeff_14 said:

It's a matter of need.  We need it more than you.  Don't take it personal.  

Just a reminder since I know quite a few on these boards resell either full time or part time. Please make sure to read and apply for any benefits you think you may qualify under the new CARES Act. There is a lot of funding available and a lot of it is forgivable. There are also quite a few different programs and applying for some may preclude you from applying for others so take your time and figure what is going to be the best outcome for your situation. Also we know that the $600 per week unemployment bonus under PUA is going to be extended to at least 6 months from 4 but keep in mind it will also likely get extended until at least through the end of 2020 - this specifically may sway a decision for alot of us to either close up operations to apply for PUA or keep going and get the free $10k advance through EIDL.

Also keep in mind the possibility of much stricter govt orders regarding lockdowns and the possibility of no more ebay, and Amazon shutting down 3P selling altogether, for a period of time if the USA continues along the same trajectory. The simple fact is the USA is horribly exposed to this virus right now with inadequate testing and treatment supplies so there is the possibility of some really bad outcomes and some quite draconian govt orders that could really end business for alot of us overnight.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

It's a matter of need.  We need it more than you.  Don't take it personal.  

But this is the point, actions like this will lead to a zero sum game where we retaliate by withholding nurses or something. Indeed, Canada supplies the materials to 3M for those masks so how will your “greater need” be met when we say no? This is the same thinking that made the Depression last as long as it did. Everyone closed their trade borders to each other and everyone was worse off than if they hadn’t have done that. Classic prisoner’s dilemma. Like the 2 boats scene in the Dark Knight - Trump has just put his finger over the button to blow the other boat. This is why who’s in charge matters. Obama would never have done such a thing. 

12 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

Ha!

Don't under estimate a Canadian's constant exposure to American news, TV, election cycles, sports, music, movies and culture in general. It's been their all our lives and we have a very good estimation of how Americans live and think whether we have visited there frequently or not. I can guarantee that I can pass my self off as an American anywhere and most of you will none be the wiser (I've done it constantly in the past). On the flip side American visitors to Canada tend to stick out just as plainly as any other foreign visitor. 

14 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

I'm graduating in May and trying to find full-time work during this epidemic. Not a great time to be looking for work. 

Depends on your major.  You might be in high demand if it is medical related.