COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

11 minutes ago, NIevo said:

I know this might be the sad truth for many of you, especially those bashing our President but it's a good watch.

And keep in mind that Trump was asking for travel bans in January and getting nothing but pushback and being called a racist.

https://youtu.be/WslBRY9B-n4

So if the president wanted to place travel bans in January; why couldn't he do it?  Because of public backlash?  As if that EVER stopped him before.  So he was what..unable until it became popular to do?  OK...that's great leadership, doing what he thinks is right only when everyone else is doing it. 

Lead by public opinion...if Lincoln did that there would be no US.

1 hour ago, NIevo said:

Don't be an ignorant fool.  I know you might want to blame him for everything too but get your head out of the sand.  He placed restrictions on 90% of flights from China and got lit up for it by the media, foreign governments, WHO and countless other sources who said it wasn't needed and he was being racist and causing panic.  Maybe more wasn't done because he was also busy fighting a sham of an impeachment that Congress was still dicking around with.  He was banning travel and setting up task forces to advice him while the Dems were handing out $1200 impeachment pens and telling people to ignore his unhealthy rhetoric and go out and party and enjoy Chinese culture to show them that we really loved them.

He honestly can't do anything right by some of you and it's pathetic. 

What's w/ the name calling?  Seriously.

Anyway, here is an article written Jan 31st. Very informative and relatively pro-Trump (in hindsight) summarizing the news atmosphere AT THE TIME.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/31/as-far-right-calls-for-china-travel-ban-health-experts-warn-coronavirus-response-would-suffer/

I stand corrected that Trump just followed the bandwagon in banning travel from China; only a handful of small nations had restrictions.

The whole impeachment thing distracting Trump and the rest of Washington is a valid point; but in hindsight, are we not to impeach a President for fear of distracting him from possibly more important matters? This was unfortunate timing; that said, the other things going on was the missles launched by Iran; which the President was able to wholly focus on ...during the impeachment...so to say the White House could not do anything else during the impeachment is not true either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Sorry, I can't remember thousands of years ago.  Must be my old age.  As I said...in my opinion.  There are all types of schools out there for sure.  Some good and bad.  Some with non-traditional methods and some with traditional.  Point is, kids need to socialize beyond Mom and Dad.  

I agree with both sides. The level of education that my kids are getting is well below my expectations. I feel like my 15 year old is learning more sitting down doing homework with me than he did all year at school. That being said, the social component is irreplaceable. Kids need to be around their peers.

1 hour ago, labfreak7 said:

I agree with both sides. The level of education that my kids are getting is well below my expectations. I feel like my 15 year old is learning more sitting down doing homework with me than he did all year at school. That being said, the social component is irreplaceable. Kids need to be around their peers.

I agree with this.  I think a lot of people have seen glaring weaknesses in our current educational systems, both private and public.  I speak with parents all week from all walks of life and they are saying the same things about their schools as well.  We are three weeks into this and teachers need to step up more and be a little more friggin' creative on teaching their students.  The basic technology is there to actually have a "class," but many are putting it all off on the parents.  I get it, parents need to step up as well, but the leadership from principals and superintendents across the US is lacking right now.  I have heard of some cases of kids actually having classes in front of their teacher online, but many school districts are not up to any kind of serious online education.  

12 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Everyone needs to extend some grace and patience with the teachers.  They were not trained for this moment.  Many of them are not technically inclined like most of us nerds on this forum.  Most have kids so they are dealing with the same adjustment that we all are.  Some have spouses that may have lost their job or are in fear of losing it soon.  Some might be single moms with kids and no way safe way to even get groceries right now.  Some might be older and have no clue what a video conference is.  Most have never considered a day where they would have to teach an entire class remotely.  Also keep in mind that kids have different circumstances at home which makes it difficult to prepare a curriculum that is accessible to everyone.  Heck, some kids just rely on school for a couple meals a day. 

Most teachers are anxious and stressed like all of us.  I think they are doing a hell of a job given the circumstances.  My son's teacher is older and doing her best.  She responds to messages and remains flexible.  I'm not expecting them to be super heroes in this moment.  Plus, it's only a couple months so I'm not too worried about it in the grand scheme of things.  Health and well being is most important right now.

The kids are learning a lot more than what's in the text book right now anyways.  This is a historic moment.  They will learn the most from how their parents handle this situation.  

(Sorry for the rant.  My wife used to teach and she knows a lot of teachers that feel helpless.  They are doing their best and wish they could do more.)

You're correct about this.  Where I think the ball got dropped, at least in my state, is that the State made a snap decision to cancel the school year and didn't have any sort of plan in place.  They looked like total incompetent boobs.  I would have liked them to postpone school for a couple weeks while they put together guidance and resources for the teachers to use, and then cancelled the year with a clear path forward.  Instead they left all this on the teacher's shoulders and like you've pointed out, the teachers have enough to worry about.  Not only do they have to worry about delivering the instruction and materials to the kids, how do you do that if the kids don't have internet or a computer?

One of my kid's teachers has been great, multiple videos with associated assignments, time to answer questions via phone, FaceTime, etc.  Some of the others though are just sending worksheets and treating this time as an early start to summer break.  Being a small school I know most of their situations and which ones could be putting forth more effort.  But, I circle back to no guidance and expectations being set for this whole situation. 

18 hours ago, junkrigger said:

I am not an epidemiologist but as a research scientist (experimental physics, numerical analysis) I believe this article is interesting, it is a rather convoluted read. I would very much like to hear from others who have read this carefully, especially scientists who have more knowledge in this realm. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-china-trail-leading-back-to-wuhan-labs/

I thought you were a science teacher?

47 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Everyone needs to extend some grace and patience with the teachers.  They were not trained for this moment.  Many of them are not technically inclined like most of us nerds on this forum.  Most have kids so they are dealing with the same adjustment that we all are.  Some have spouses that may have lost their job or are in fear of losing it soon.  Some might be single moms with kids and no way safe way to even get groceries right now.  Some might be older and have no clue what a video conference is.  Most have never considered a day where they would have to teach an entire class remotely.  Also keep in mind that kids have different circumstances at home which makes it difficult to prepare a curriculum that is accessible to everyone.  Heck, some kids just rely on school for a couple meals a day. 

Most teachers are anxious and stressed like all of us.  I think they are doing a hell of a job given the circumstances.  My son's teacher is older and doing her best.  She responds to messages and remains flexible.  I'm not expecting them to be super heroes in this moment.  Plus, it's only a couple months so I'm not too worried about it in the grand scheme of things.  Health and well being is most important right now.

The kids are learning a lot more than what's in the text book right now anyways.  This is a historic moment.  They will learn the most from how their parents handle this situation.  

(Sorry for the rant.  My wife used to teach and she knows a lot of teachers that feel helpless.  They are doing their best and wish they could do more.)

Sorry.  You are right.  Everyone is under tremendous stress.  Many are teaching their own kids as well.  Maybe my expectations are too high.  My bad.

I thought you were a science teacher?

As a graduate student TA I taught calculus, differential equations, etc. and intro physics, then as a research assistant I worked on holographic microscopy and double photon microscopy. Currently I work on equipment and models for inertial electrostatic fusion.

Dare I unlock this thread?

Please:

1. Keep it civil
  2. No name calling of anyone.  Whether it's a politician or another user.  We're all better than that.
  3. Facts and opinions are fine.  We're not going to stifle anyone's feelings or opinions.  But you can express those in an adult manner without resorting to name calling.

I'm hoping a couple days break got us all feeling a little bit better.  If you're getting angry at someone in this thread, then it's time to step away from the thread, and build some LEGO.  I did, and it feels great!

Be kind to one another, stay safe and healthy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Dare I unlock this thread?

Please:

1. Keep it civil
  2. No name calling of anyone.  Whether it's a politician or another user.  We're all better than that.
  3. Facts and opinions are fine.  We're not going to stifle anyone's feelings or opinions.  But you can express those in an adult manner without resorting to name calling.

I'm hoping a couple days break got us all feeling a little bit better.  If you're getting angry at someone in this thread, then it's time to step away from the thread, and build some LEGO.  I did, and it feels great!

Be kind to one another, stay safe and healthy.

You know where this is going to go. Won't be long before the political bickering begins. And it will be the same people.

• Like 1

some interesting developments I wanted to note:

Drones used in Paris to police shelter-in-place...hmmm

What do folks think about the Captain of the Teddy Roosevelt?  Despite HOW it was done (which was a PR disaster) Should he have been removed from his position for doing what he did?

and let me add We are all pulling for Boris!

some interesting developments I wanted to note:
Drones used in Paris to police shelter-in-place...hmmm
What do folks think about the Captain of the Teddy Roosevelt?  Despite HOW it was done (which was a PR disaster) Should he have been removed from his position for doing what he did?
and let me add We are all pulling for Boris!
He absolutely should have been removed from command. He circumvented the chain of command. This is like rule number 1 that every person in the military is taught not to do from day 1.

He put the lives of the Sailors who are stationed aboard his ship at risk by publicly divulging fighting limitations that the TR currently had.

I don't disagree with any Commanding Officer ever fighting for the health and safety of those placed under their command, but the military and the Navy have had a chain of command in place for a reason since the dawn of time. Once people circumvent or blatantly disregard the chain of command it dissolves unit cohesiveness and in extreme situations can lead to mutinous actions. There was a proper channel for him to follow to fight the good fight for his people, he should have used it.

This is just a opinion from a salty old Sailor though.
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

He absolutely should have been removed from command. He circumvented the chain of command. This is like rule number 1 that every person in the military is taught not to do from day 1.

He put the lives of the Sailors who are stationed aboard his ship at risk by publicly divulging fighting limitations that the TR currently had.

I don't disagree with any Commanding Officer ever fighting for the health and safety of those placed under their command, but the military and the Navy have had a chain of command in place for a reason since the dawn of time. Once people circumvent or blatantly disregard the chain of command it dissolves unit cohesiveness and in extreme situations can lead to mutinous actions. There was a proper channel for him to follow to fight the good fight for his people, he should have used it.

Lol... I get your point. Sometimes it is necessary to disobey a direct order if thar order is unlawful. But as far as I know there is nothing unlawful about an order to follow the chain of command with all concerns or complaints, or the order not to divulge classified information.

15 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
29 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Lol... I get your point. Sometimes it is necessary to disobey a direct order if thar order is unlawful. But as far as I know there is nothing unlawful about an order to follow the chain of command with all concerns or complaints, or the order not to divulge classified information.

I think there is a clear difference between Heat of Battle and Peace time in terms of how the rules should be interpreted. The captain made it clear he thought this too when he closed his letter by suggesting something similar.

I think the captain knew what he was doing and basically sacrificed his command to put the world's attention to the situation on his ship...and he succeeded. I agree that there NEEDS TO BE CONSEQUENCES in the military for any action that directly defies orders, so I support the removal.

• Like 3

Modly was a fool for relieving him of command when a quiet reprimand would have sufficed and has now resigned in disgrace. This is a global pandemic that compromised the TR and clearly impacts the broader safety of ports where they are docked. Not saying something could have cost lives.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/07/829107952/modly-reportedly-submits-resignation-as-acting-navy-chief-over-warship-skipper-f
  • Like 1

I think there is a clear difference between Heat of Battle and Peace time in terms of how the rules should be interpreted. The captain made it clear he thought this too when he closed his letter by suggesting something similar.
I think the captain knew what he was doing and basically sacrificed his command to put the world's attention to the situation on his ship...and he succeeded. I agree that there NEEDS TO BE CONSEQUENCES in the military for any action that directly defies orders, so I support the removal.
The rules are the rules for a reason. If you leave rules open to individual interpretation based on an individual then they are no longer rules but merely suggestions.

As far as difference between peace and war time, there very much is a difference. If this had happened during war time he could be headed to the brig or court martialed for treason. Instead he now gets a desk job and will get to keep his benefits and pension when he retires.
  • Like 1