COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

The City of Boulder is enacting a stay-at-home order until April 10th. They're following Denver's lead which was enacted a few days.  The governor doesn't want to mandate the shelter-in-place statewide unless he absolutely has to, which I understand for economic and sanity reasons. But as things progress, he may have no choice.

Luckily, the marijuana dispensaries remain open otherwise I would've foreseen a riot.

9 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 12.00.31 PM.png.jpeg

Sad about the Olympics.  I think the biggest takeaway from this is....

The IOC has someone named "**** Pound" as a spokesperson.  You know he chose not to stick with Richard, but purposely decided to go by ****.

officially postponded today for one year

16 hours ago, NIevo said:

Neither of which are his fault.

C7CFEF2B-BC3E-45A8-9F18-A97277B1C4B8.jpeg

I don’t think any reasonable person is blaming trump for the corona virus or the market collapse.  Most people are upset how he handled the information starting in Jan up to last week. That is what this graph is showing. Our slow response means we will be the new epicenter and will have to deal with that mess.

the biggest argument is had we been more agile and reacted sooner, we would be back online sooner and not what we are witnessing unfold before us. 

Edited by BricksBrotha
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

C7CFEF2B-BC3E-45A8-9F18-A97277B1C4B8.jpeg

I don’t think any reasonable person is blaming trump for the corona virus or the market collapse.  Most people are upset how he handled the information starting in Jan up to last week. That is what this graph is showing. Our slow response means we will be the new epicenter and will have to deal with that mess.

the biggest argument is had we been more agile and reacted sooner, we would be back online sooner and not what we are witnessing unfold before us. 

I'm pretty confident the US will be doing the most accurate reporting. China numbers haven't changed much for weeks.

1 minute ago, KvHulk said:

And none of this will matter in a week from now if the, mind numbingly dumb, decision is made to ease up on the social distancing because someone doesn't want "The cure to be worse than the problem."

This quote below from the “faultless” President today has to be one of the most irresponsible statements ever uttered by a US President. And that’s on top of his drug prescription the other day which has already killed a few people.

“We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself,” Mr. Trump said. “There will be tremendous death from that. Death. You know, you’re talking about death. Probably more death from that than anything that we’re talking about with respect to the virus.”

33 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm pretty confident the US will be doing the most accurate reporting.

That would all depend on what you have in mind for accuracy. Sure the amount of positive cases tested. But one has to look beyond the number of cases of being reported and read about the medical community’s cry for help.   

because the test kit shortage, Lots of people out there untested and showing symptoms, but are not high priority.  Need to be proactive and realize we are in the community transmission phase. 

22 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Those numbers aren't very useful if they aren't per capita

They aren’t perfect, no numbers out there are. But with these total cases plotted next to each other, one can easily conclude our current trajectory. 

2 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

This quote below from the “faultless” President today has to be one of the most irresponsible statements ever uttered by a US President. And that’s on top of his drug prescription the other day which has already killed a few people.

“We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself,” Mr. Trump said. “There will be tremendous death from that. Death. You know, you’re talking about death. Probably more death from that than anything that we’re talking about with respect to the virus.”

If you want to argue about the "cure" statement, feel free.  But saying he is at fault because a couple of dopes drank aquarium parasite solution and got sick and/or died is just ridiculous.  The Chloroquine is now being used by hundreds, if not thousands, of doctors across the globe.  Hopefully it works.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

And that’s on top of his drug prescription the other day which has already killed a few people.

When I was a kid, my mom used to ask me, "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?"

There is a thing called personal responsibility.  There are stupid people out there.  These are the same people that think the CD tray on a desktop is a cup holder.  Can't help stupid.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

When I was a kid, my mom used to ask me, "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?"

There is a thing called personal responsibility.  There are stupid people out there.  These are the same people that thing the CD tray on a desktop is a cup holder.  Can't help stupid.

The problem is we can help with stupid being President. When the President says something, unfortunately people are going to listen. If a public health official said that, they could and would be successfully sued by victims’ families. This is where we are, the US president cares more about his numbers than the well being of those who elected him, and Id wager anyone who does what he says is a supporter. The man is morally bankrupt and has profoundly dishonoured his office, even moreso than his usual daily dishonouring.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

The problem is we can help with stupid being President. When the President says something, unfortunately people are going to listen. If a public health official said that, they could and would be successfully sued by victims’ families. This is where we are, the US president cares more about his numbers than the well being of those who elected him, and Id wager anyone who does what he says is a supporter. The man is morally bankrupt and has profoundly dishonoured his office, even moreso than his usual daily dishonouring.

What did he say exactly?  He said that he has high hopes for the Chloroquine and that doctors are going to use this in trials in NY starting today.  He didn't say go buy some aquarium parasite cleaner at Billy Bob's Fish store and suck it down.  People have to use their friggin' brains and stop blaming others for poor decisions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

The problem is we can help with stupid being President. When the President says something, unfortunately people are going to listen.

It doesn't help that the garbage media is complicit in promoting stupid ideas: https://twitter.com/amber_athey/status/1242434881055064065

Then others in the garbage media run around blaming the politician, and ignore their colleagues' click-bait.  It's all a big pile of stupid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

What did he say exactly?  He said that he has high hopes for the Chloroquine and that doctors are going to use this in trials in NY starting today.  He didn't say go buy some aquarium parasite cleaner at Billy Bob's Fish store and suck it down.  People have to use their friggin' brains and stop blaming others for poor decisions.

I don't know the details of this story, but if you're halfway accurate, this is proof we need to #thintheherd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:

It doesn't help that the garbage media is complicit in promoting stupid ideas: https://twitter.com/amber_athey/status/1242434881055064065

Then others in the garbage media run around blaming the politician, and ignore their colleagues' click-bait.  It's all a big pile of stupid.

The media is a joke.  Posting these "Coronavirus Clickers" is just one way to scare people.  They are all big and red and scary looking.  Did we have an Eblola or H1N1 clicker?  

2 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I don't know the details of this story, but if you're halfway accurate, this is proof we need to #thintheherd.

The story goes this way I believe...The people had Koi fish and had this fish parasite killer in their cabinet and decided to try it.  Wife got sick, husband died and neither were infected.  

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

The story goes this way I believe...The people had Koi fish and had this fish parasite killer in their cabinet and decided to try it.  Wife got sick, husband died and neither were infected.  

The fact that there are people like this out there and probably breeding, is a much larger problem than the corona virus.

• Like 2

The point is...if the Chloroquine does work, maybe some easily influenced individual heard this story from the media and will refuse treatment because they believed it killed people.  Maybe they will die from a media managed article.

36 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

If we use that logic, then everything the President says is going to be believed by a large number of people.  Including Impeachment, "Lock her up," and a host of other things.

I could say the same thing with Mr. Trudeau.  And frankly, with any other politician.

But let's stop at the name calling (again).  You can criticize what he said, but calling him "morally bankrupt" is what we're trying to avoid in this thread.

At the end of the day, this couple was stupid.  Don't make excuses for them.  If it wasn't the President saying it, then they would have heard it from somewhere else, and been just as dumb.  When my 8 year old says, "but Logan Paul said to do it!" I don't give him a pass.  And he's 8.

• Like 2