10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are twisting the reality here. Its been discussed million times over that we shouldnt judge a set based on the price a person paid for it. If you happened to have them super cheap, then well, good for you. But based on retail, this set is quite disappointing. If i buy a set for

The b-wing is dratically underperforming the mean of the Star Wars UCS line, "UCS" is the key.  The theme has a mean, this one is well under it, SSD is well over it.  Lack of supply will probably help the B-Wing years down the road.  If I had a bunch I would be looking at diversifying, a few I would hold long term.  Guaranteed, if supply is low now, it will be really tight later.  That is a good recipe for solid appreciation.  YES, I said "Guaranteed".

Part of the reality is that the 99 price is keeping this set lower in the aftermarket than if there was no fire sale. I think people are under estimating the number of sets that were bought at that price point. I will give you that it's a bit (just a bit) disappointing as far as UCS sets go but it's far from garbage.

yeah, i couldn't have typed it any better.   wait, i might have already. haha. everyone should read the post below.  it clearly outlines the difficulty of 10227's ROI during retirement due to the ones sold at $99 and $150s.  now this set still might turn into a $500 set in 2 more years...who knows.  the production run was very limited compared to other UCS and non-UCS sets.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/3580-10227-ucs-b-wing/page-38#entry338194

• Like 1

I find it amazing that people continue to say that the avg price paid is irrelevant.

I think cause no one on Here probabaly paid $199 for it. So if you wanna talk avg of 99 and 150 then let's say $125. Still not a bad investment even if you dump them now.

It's probabaly still not as bad as 10215 Obi-Wan-s-Jedi-Starfighter

Edited by Shislerocco

Ok, I will try an explain.  If you are attempting to measure the performance of an investment over time,or a theme, or whatever you can only measure that along with future opportunities with readily available information.  Well be definition what you "paid " is not readily available information.  I can only measure what is known.  RRP is readily available information, along with official retirement date. 

If all lego sets could be purchased for 1 dollar, then the 1 dollar could be used as your standard starting point for measuring performance.  In that case every set value over a dollar could be measured, and a reasonable assumption of return and risk could be forcasted.  Since everyones "basis" is different, you must measure return from the RRP.  This will tell you how good an investment is (A vs. B).  If you use some random "I got it for 50% off" then you have no way of comparatively measuring investment performance. 

Your individual total return will be much better than the average UCS total return if you purchased any of them below RRP.  SSD is outperforming the mean of the UCS line based two aspects, time from official retirement and RRP.  For SSD to hold the MEAN for the theme two years after retirment it should have a value of $772.00.  That makes it a good investment with reasonable assumptions going forward to hold, rather than sell.  If the theme holds true, SSD should have a value of $2,075.00 5 years from now. 

A key note in this particular theme.  The 10179 drastically skews the average MEAN return, so investors should adjust for that. 

Many of the sets are doing quite well in retirement though.  Outside of a formalized methodology for forcasting and measuring returns you are shooting in the dark.   December average number for the B-Wing is $209.00.  So far it is an under perform by a factor of 88%.  SSD is $648.59, it has been retired 1/3th of a year, it is overperforming the theme by a factor of 147% on an annualized basis.  I expect SSD to stay flat until end of year 2015, I am good with that based upon the understanding I laid out above.

• Like 2

I think cause no one on Here probabaly paid $199 for it. So if you wanna talk avg of 99 and 150 then let's say $125. Still not a bad investment even if you dump them now.

It's probabaly still not as bad as 10215 Obi-Wan-s-Jedi-Starfighter

But I can see how this would be confusing to new members. On one thread most said discounts were irrelevant, but on other thread people were measuring the performance of a set based on discounts they received.

I find it amazing that people continue to say that the avg price paid is irrelevant.

Avg price paid isn't important on a standard / global scale when it comes to ROI performance.

Now if we are talking about jaisonline or Kshine's accounting records, yes it is then important,

It's the art of making something more complicated than it needs to be.

How? When talking ROI across the board, you need a common baseline. That happens to be MSRP for each region.

Did anyone mention that there were tons of people here buying 10, 20 even 30 of these during that sale?

Maybe we should look through the "What Lego set did you buy today?" thread to see how many were bought. Of course, that won;t account for all the B-Wings bought for investment purposes.

Guest TabbyBoy

I was fortunate enough to buy just one to build. I made the wise decision to get 1x SSD instead of 2x BW per Amazon order when prices were good. Even the latest mid-size BW is on offer which tells me it just ain't popular. It was only in the movie for a few moments. Even the 9515 Malevolence will out perform it % wise I think.

I was fortunate enough to buy just one to build. I made the wise decision to get 1x SSD instead of 2x BW per Amazon order when prices were good. Even the latest mid-size BW is on offer which tells me it just ain't popular. It was only in the movie for a few moments. Even the 9515 Malevolence will out perform it % wise I think.

Has so far, for the folks who bought $64 Malevolences.

• Like 1

10227s will do fine in the long-run. I was one of the early ones to hype this set. It was in 2 films. I went all in buying the $99 sets. Prob bought a tad too many.

Then I watched them collect dust for 18 months and barely surpass MSRP of $199.99 10 months after retirement. Technically, the set was about $160-170 in value when it retired and at $217 12 months later. So like others, I sold my entire lot which enabled me to buy other sets (pretty much turned 1 $99 10227 into 1 10224 and some GEs). I was lucky.

If the B-Wing makes an appearance in ep 7, there's a chance I'll be regretting my 10227 sales but I can live with that. What I would have been a tougher pill to swallow was missing out on 10224s because or the 10227s. We only have so much storage space.

Getting back to the original post, I would say the 10227 has been a dud so far because of the $99 and $150 sales. Remember, this was the last exclusive set ever discounted at Walmart, Amazon, etc...