10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Brickset comments are quite different than here. Generally positive and many folks hoping for more reissues. The typical 'stick it to investors' comments are there too. I don't like reissues but maybe this will be a positive move for Lego, who knows. 

Same as with WTS. How many of us said they were boycotting that set and are now stocking up before it retires?

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 2

Exactly. While I understand the general sentiment here, I'm rolling my eyes at most of it.

I don't own the original and I won't buy this one, it's not something I'm interested in... what gets under my skin is "we did if for the fans asking for re-releases." What a pile of ****. Don't treat us like we're stupid.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I wonder how many Paypal chargebacks will be processed in the next 180 days.....

I know I shouldn’t, but LOL !!!

At least I can now buy a mint one soon to build as I’ve seen the real thing when I was based in Delhi for a month.

There’s also the BIN listings where they have to conform to distance selling regulations (eg. UK) where a lot will be returned within 14 days for whatever reason. I admit, I’d return it tomorrow if I bought it.

There’s gonna be tears.

Has anybody had returns or chargebacks with their 10179s?

I would say that Lego has shown its cards and that almost no set is safe at this point. CC, GG, and ISD are probably right around the corner, along with several other retired sets that are in high demand. I am guessing that the number of AFOL's that have come out of the dark ages in last 3-5 years has probably increased significantly. Lego is in the business of making money and they see a huge opportunity with these new AFOL's and remaking retired sets.

Lego is no longer just a kids toy and I think they recognize that have to cater to their adult consumers as well. Not to mention if there are sets geared toward adults, Lego could increase their chances of having more life-long Lego fans. Having to buy sought-after sets that are retired for a small fortune can be a turn-off for some new AFOL's and potentially turn them off Lego altogether. Investor/Collectors/Resellers, whatever you want to call it is probably a small group compared to the AFOL builders on a global scale and there is a lot of upside for Lego in this market compared to the potential downside of losing sales from investors/collectors. 

I personally don't care for the new set or the original and probably won't be getting it. I do feel bad for those who are investors and are now seeing their profits erased. Long-term hold on 10189 NIB could still be there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, inversion said:

About Winter Toy Shop: it did not fit any of the above criteria. Plus, it came instead of a new set. And accordingly, it caused an outrage. LEGO admitted that they made a mistake, and based on this, it can be said that LEGO will be afraid of releasing old sets that would take the place of a new one in a series or a release schedule. Any re-release that is not of a highly hyped set without any significant updates must only come as an extra in the release schedule.

When did LEGO admit they made a mistake with the Winter Toy Shop re-release? 

2 hours ago, marcandre said:

Brickset comments are quite different than here. Generally positive and many folks hoping for more reissues. The typical 'stick it to investors' comments are there too. I don't like reissues but maybe this will be a positive move for Lego, who knows. 

Plenty of comments, sure.  But I'm waiting to see if they put their money where their mouth is.  A lot of the reseller hate is more jealousy than anything else.  Will they really buy it?  Or will they just sit there and say "ha!  Well, those reseller won't get as much money now."  I think the later.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

If only we knew the proportion of resellers vs collectors vs builders.

That's always been the big question.  When it's convenient, non-resellers seem to think that reseller can dictate true demand, and true supply.  I don't think resellers have as much macro level influence as some people think.

• Like 1

Let´s revisit the 10249 story one more time.

Before we get started, it might be good to get one question out of the way. Why was this set reissued? It’s a question Jamie Berard (the lead designer for LEGO Creator) gets asked a lot these days. I have a friend who recently took a trip to Denmark, and had a chance to ask Jamie this very question in person. The long and short of his response was rather surprising. The reissue had nothing to do with a lack of new design ideas. In fact, according to Jamie, they had a new model ready to go. However management was not ready to put resources into it just yet. So Jamie talked with the people in charge and it all boiled down to this; there would either be no new LEGO Winter Village set this year, or they could rerelease one of the previous sets. The end result is a revised version of the #10199 LEGO Winter Toy Shop from 2009. The next logical question is; what changes are there in the revised version?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Plenty of comments, sure.  But I'm waiting to see if they put their money where their mouth is.  A lot of the reseller hate is more jealousy than anything else.  Will they really buy it?  Or will they just sit there and say "ha!  Well, those reseller won't get as much money now."  I think the later.

Pretty much the truth.  Many who complain about the high prices resellers sell sets for will complain about the high prices of the current sets as well and will never buy them anyway.  What I get a kick from is when people say, "Oh, I really don't care if LEGO sets appreciate.  They are meant to be built and played with.  They are just toys after all."  Sure, we all love to build LEGO sets, but if you say you don't care about money or the fact that LEGO sets did appreciate and that your collection was worth more used than new, than you are full of it.  Everybody cares about money and the fact that LEGO sets are collectible was a wonderful perk in addition to the fun factor.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1