10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

As soon as I saw the news I knew there would be a thread like this. And without reading I knew how many of the comments would go.......

" it's the end of the world, how dare Lego do this to us and so on..... "

Investment is a risk and you can't blame someone else if you've lost out on a set. I've made profits, and losses <cough> exo suit, is this Lego's fault? No! I've stopped buying Modulars since the Palace Cinema as the market appears to be flooded and switched to smaller sets and different themes. It is getting harder, but is still possible.

In the past ten or so years, Lego has experienced unprecedented, and frankly, unsustainable growth. So they need to change their strategy to one of consolidation rather than the 'takeover the world' one they have had. 

Given the apparent continuing popularity of a set like the Tower Bridge, why not re-release a set that was only available for a short time and has been talked about by collectors and builders (not investors) for years. Now is their chance to get one. And if it does not sell, like the SoH it'll just be retired again. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vincevaughn said:

And how mad i would be if LEGO decided to remake the galaxy explorer or the monorail. So i definitely can empathize with people on this re-issue.

I would love to get a re-released monorail set (there's something wonderful about playing with that one). It wouldn't be easy to duplicate though, as they would likely replace the motor, etc with newer components (which just wouldn't be the same).

Edited by KShine

I would love to get a re-released monorail set (there's something wonderful about playing with that one). It wouldn't be easy to duplicate though, as they would likely replace the motor, etc with newer components (which just wouldn't be the same).

A modern take or a whole new monorail would be awesome. However, if they gave it the Taj treatment. Just an exact copy of the old set with a brick separator thrown in and a ever so slightly different box art. I would not be a fan, as others in the thread said. The original would not feel as special, it would feel like slap in the face from LEGO....

I would still buy a ton if it was a cheap way to get monorail track

I welcome all remakes and re releases if you already owned it simply you don't need to buy it again and I would hardly think any builder/collector will think about value it's personnel. Lego can do what they want. Like when they retire a set and people sell it for what they want and the price for some of them sets are stupid that most people don't want to pay them prices. So it's no wonder why these knockoffs end up on the market because they know that people who cannot afford the silly prices of some retired sets are likely to be tempted into buying there cheap knockoff product instead. So lego is forced to compete with the knock offs by releasing the set again for an affordable price. If your made money of reselling/investing that's great but all I can say if your brought multiple of the same set and held it for years that's your own problem no-one forced you to buy them. To make anything over what you paid is profit and should be grateful that you have had the opportunity to make profit but don't get sour over your own mistakes.

7 minutes ago, vincevaughn said:

A modern take or a whole new monorail would be awesome. However, if they gave it the Taj treatment. Just an exact copy of the old set with a brick separator thrown in and a ever so slightly different box art. I would not be a fan, as others in the thread said. The original would not feel as special, it would feel like slap in the face from LEGO....

They would have a very hard time trying to duplicate that old motor smell - that is part of the magic.

9 hours ago, vincevaughn said:

As someone who never got the orginal Taj I am glad they remade it so I can get it for a somewhat reasonable price.

However, I can see what people are mad about as i have a massive collection of vintage space sets. And how mad i would be if LEGO decided to remake the galaxy explorer or the monorail. So i definitely can empathize with people on this re-issue.

Funnily enough I think vintage space sets (and some misc other vintage themes) are some of the safest bets to not be remade (other than, say,  one iconic set to cash in on nostalgia). What I think is more likely are sets designed to hit our nostalgia cores, like benny's spaceship (didn't fall for it, I got my originals!). Nexo Knights also notably had some nostalgic looking vehicles (wow this looks like sets from when I was a kid! *buys for kids but builds himself*) All this isn't aimed at you vincevaughn! It just got me on a rambling topic. 

Many old lego sets go directly against their current mantra; nowadays sets part boost with many small pieces (the cheese slope and 1x1 tile era) and have minimal large parts since those are the most expensive (ugly rock pieces, large or raised baseplates, 8 stud + dimension bricks, huge transparent panels and what have you) 

Old lego sets (compared to current) have very low parts counts for their price and would compare horribly ($80 for 350? $100 for 450? ehhhh...)

Some older molds are also retired/destroyed and are incredibly expensive to create, especially when the part is very large. Larger parts = larger mold = more tolerances to check, and more plastic to use. I remember reading designer blogs about new lego hires being surprised at the cost of some parts when they tried to include them in sets - you can get a bit more of an idea for this if you shop at bricks and pieces as well. 

One mold I presume destroyed is the M-Tron Mega Core Magnetizer's wheels, which are already expensive anyway. It was produced in 3 sets, the Magnetizer, ISD, and a Mars Mission rover. These are the biggest plastic space rover wheels made by lego - haven't been in a set for some time. Fun fact: a knockoff's ISD uses a SMALLER wheel mold on their ISD! Probably means that mold is gone for good, like many other large, old parts. We could also talk about how technic's wheel and tire assemblies have changed in quality / size over time, but I'm a bit less versed in that. 

Monorail molds are destroyed. People have been wanting them for years, but the parts are huge and intricate. Large intricate part means not cheap to remake mold, not to mention an isolated motor variant that doesn't fit into their (expensive to produce) power functions. *shoves monorail collection under desk* nevermind that. If monorail was reintroduced, I'd expect (and hope) it to be updated. The switches are honestly terrible anyway. (Side note: secondary market isn't even that expensive for monorails compared to MSRP. You can get either of the two space monorails for $275-$350 ea, complete, fully functioning, instructions included). That's really not bad, for how many people say they want the monorail, then buy a mass produced SW set for a comparable price.

This honestly goes for most classic sets - many are not astronomically high to collect or buy, especially when you compare to the prices of non-iconic, new release lego sets. To re-engineer monorail tracks, molds, motor, and produce, there is probably such little margin at ~$300 pricepoint they'd rather just be pumping out jokerlands instead. 

The newest track system is a roller coaster as seen on the joker manor thing, which honestly is long overdue anyway (especially after the hilarious letdown of the friends coaster). Notice how it's mostly thin plastic? Cheaper than a thick, solid beam like a monorail track. I'd expect more part variants for tracks on this later - this first set introduces them and includes minimal track length (cash in on that new part appeal), once normalized, they will develop and release more based around it (gimmie lift hills, banked turns, and loops! Flexy track!)  Knex roller coasters were their cash cow for a long time, might still be for all I know, and it's about time lego found a working model for it, even if we need some more track parts to really make anything cool. 

I'd love to see a cataloged list of new parts within the past decade (is there a good comprehensive list somewhere?). I'm betting most of them are very small (cheese slopes, pie tiles, tile variants, little plates / clips). Again, very cheap to produce in mass. Bloats part counts. Technic may be a bit of an outlier with large specialized molds (which are still not cheap however). 

Just to add: remakes are not new! They are tried and true, but will probably become more common. I am not saying every set ever, it's really a convenience and case by case basis thing. More sets in the history catalog, more to choose from. Iconic sets with basic brick inventories  (no new molds) are most likely candidates. 

They rereleased the iconic lego Metroliner Train (and dining cars), and Main Street 6390 from 1980. I sure was happy to get some dining  cars. 

Edited by Muffin Cup
  • Like 4

Funnily enough I think vintage space sets (and some misc other vintage themes) are some of the safest bets to not be remade (other than, say,  one iconic set to cash in on nostalgia). What I think is more likely are sets designed to hit our nostalgia cores, like benny's spaceship (didn't fall for it, I got my originals!). Nexo Knights also notably had some nostalgic looking vehicles (wow this looks like sets from when I was a kid! *buys for kids but builds himself*) All this isn't aimed at you vincevaughn! It just got me on a rambling topic. 

Many old lego sets go directly against their current mantra; nowadays sets part boost with many small pieces (the cheese slope and 1x1 tile era) and have minimal large parts since those are the most expensive (ugly rock pieces, large or raised baseplates, 8 stud + dimension bricks, huge transparent panels and what have you) 

Old lego sets (compared to current) have very low parts counts for their price and would compare horribly ($80 for 350? $100 for 450? ehhhh...)

Some older molds are also retired/destroyed and are incredibly expensive to create, especially when the part is very large. Larger parts = larger mold = more tolerances to check, and more plastic to use. I remember reading designer blogs about new lego hires being surprised at the cost of some parts when they tried to include them in sets - you can get a bit more of an idea for this if you shop at bricks and pieces as well. 

One mold I presume destroyed is the M-Tron Mega Core Magnetizer's wheels, which are already expensive anyway. It was produced in 3 sets, the Magnetizer, ISD, and a Mars Mission rover. These are the biggest plastic space rover wheels made by lego - haven't been in a set for some time. Fun fact: a knockoff's ISD uses a SMALLER wheel mold on their ISD! Probably means that mold is gone for good, like many other large, old parts. We could also talk about how technic's wheel and tire assemblies have changed in quality / size over time, but I'm a bit less versed in that. 

Monorail molds are destroyed. People have been wanting them for years, but the parts are huge and intricate. Large intricate part means not cheap to remake mold, not to mention an isolated motor variant that doesn't fit into their (expensive to produce) power functions. *shoves monorail collection under desk* nevermind that. If monorail was reintroduced, I'd expect (and hope) it to be updated. The switches are honestly terrible anyway. (Side note: secondary market isn't even that expensive for monorails compared to MSRP. You can get either of the two space monorails for $275-$350 ea, complete, fully functioning, instructions included). That's really not bad, for how many people say they want the monorail, then buy a mass produced SW set for a comparable price.

This honestly goes for most classic sets - many are not astronomically high to collect or buy, especially when you compare to the prices of non-iconic, new release lego sets. To re-engineer monorail tracks, molds, motor, and produce, there is probably such little margin at ~$300 pricepoint they'd rather just be pumping out jokerlands instead. 

The newest track system is a roller coaster as seen on the joker manor thing, which honestly is long overdue anyway (especially after the hilarious letdown of the friends coaster). Notice how it's mostly thin plastic? Cheaper than a thick, solid beam like a monorail track. I'd expect more part variants for tracks on this later - this first set introduces them and includes minimal track length (cash in on that new part appeal), once normalized, they will develop and release more based around it (gimmie lift hills, banked turns, and loops! Flexy track!)  Knex roller coasters were their cash cow for a long time, might still be for all I know, and it's about time lego found a working model for it, even if we need some more track parts to really make anything cool. 

I'd love to see a cataloged list of new parts within the past decade (is there a good comprehensive list somewhere?). I'm betting most of them are very small (cheese slopes, pie tiles, tile variants, little plates / clips). Again, very cheap to produce in mass. Bloats part counts. Technic may be a bit of an outlier with large specialized molds (which are still not cheap however). 

Just to add: remakes are not new! They are tried and true, but will probably become more common. I am not saying every set ever, it's really a convenience and case by case basis thing. More sets in the history catalog, more to choose from. Iconic sets with basic brick inventories  (no new molds) are most likely candidates. 

They rereleased the iconic lego Metroliner Train (and dining cars), and Main Street 6390 from 1980. I sure was happy to get some dining  cars. 

Yeah, old sets are pretty safe....and i do love the tribute's ala Benny's spaceship.

Lego pursued big pieces into the early 2000's which was part of their trouble. Sets became too simple and didnt look brick built. This was part of the reason i went into my dark ages. Like everything, i think there is a balance in these things.

Most classic sets are not that much when taken with inflation but monrail track is expensive, most of the cost of those sets is the track. More than 20 bucks for a single straight section. And for people like me who want large intricate monorail layouts it becomes very expensive quickly.

But they did re-make the Galaxy Explorer.... as the spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!!!!

I'm watching a lot with what I thought was a Monorail 6990 but it turns out its missing the actual train. Just the track and instructions.
Then yesterday I open a box of bricks I bought in Feb, and at the top is a Monorail train, with no track or instructions. So could combine the two.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:21 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

I have been reading a lot of comment on Lego's FB page , and a lot of grown a** adults are asking for several remakes of HH, SSD, TH , ect... Again ,  adults asking for the re-release of those sets that only retired 2 to 3 years and many ( wont say most; going with the befit of the doubt here )  could have bought them when they are readily available. the only reason they want them now is because they see the price increase and perceive this set to be very special/unique/ special.  without this perceived look, many high end sets will stall down the road, but hey ,:  

giphy.gif

I ask for remakes because I didn't buy them then and don't want to pay more than the SRP on the secondary market.  

Is it just me, or does it feel like everyone that says “I’m okay with this” also says “you investors had time to sell”

Because it seems like the people that are NOT okay with this also don’t have a dog in the “I’m still holding a 10189” fight.

I feel like the majority of people that are not happy with this decision also do not have 10189s in stock to sell.

Am I wrong about that? Of those of you that think this is a bad decision, do you have any 10189s?

2 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Is it just me, or does it feel like everyone that says “I’m okay with this” also says “you investors had time to sell”

Because it seems like the people that are NOT okay with this also don’t have a dog in the “I’m still holding a 10189” fight.

I feel like the majority of people that are not happy with this decision also do not have 10189s in stock to sell.

Am I wrong about that? Of those of you that think this is a bad decision, do you have any 10189s?

It seems a bit confusing, but I think that you are saying that no one has any 10189's - and I think (at least in regards to a stash of sealed ones) that would be correct.

The problem is not so much about the 10189 (although if I had any at the moment, new or used, I would be pissed), but these re-releases damage all potential values, create more sellers of other high flyers (as the owners will look to get out of the other sets, before they get burned), and make any potential buyers reluctant to pull the trigger on any other high flyers.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
3 minutes ago, Mrbigz8657 said:

I don’t have any and think this is a horrible decision. 

LEGO’s made a lot of weird decisions recently. It’ll be interesting to see how big the profit drop is at the end of 2018. Right now I really want to slap that new CEO.

12 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Of those of you that think this is a bad decision, do you have any 10189s?

Before Oct 30:

Not having a single one of 10189.

Might have thought it's cool to be able to get one. Coz it does look pretty.

On and after Oct 30:

Still not having a single one of 10189.

Shocked to see the re-release (in a bad way) and have been thinking twice (trice...) about LEGO purchases for some time.

Not even sure I'd pay MSRP for 10256 any more. After all, it's a mausoleum, an euphemized term for grave. Not a muslim myself, either. Why do I want to display it? Hmmm, but same thing could be said to a pyramid and I do have some Egyptian sets on the shelf. I'll take it back then. :P

Background:

Not buying knock-offs. Have paid over MSRP for some long retired sets (but not the crazily expensive ones). BrickLink'd 3 oldest modulars.

Edited by cissi

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

LEGO’s made a lot of weird decisions recently. It’ll be interesting to see how big the profit drop is at the end of 2018. Right now I really want to slap that new CEO.

The responsibility of decisions on these sets are more likely from the last CEO that got fired? :P 

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I have a used one.  I am disappointed in their decision, I am not sure it is a bad one yet.

I sold all my expensive lego sets including an open box Taj in 2016.  I sold the rest of my higher priced collection like the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty earlier this year.   Of course, I am glad I sold my TAJ but not happy they are re-releasing it.  I have not bought any Legos for investment in over one year but still buy legos for building.  I will not buy the new TAJ for the same reason I did not buy the new UCS MF, I have no place to display it in my house or office.  Its just too big.

6 minutes ago, Mrbigz8657 said:

I don’t have any and think this is a horrible decision. 

I dont have any and I also think this is a bad decision only because this is a re-release of a set that only really has adult appeal. If this was a set for a child and/or a child at heart with play features and such, I wouldn't mind and would say it is better for the brand to cater to the toy market.

This set is not that and kills the collectible nature of Lego. I would feel bad for anyone with 10189 thinking it was a legacy collectible set whether they had the intention of selling or not. It's like if you had Barry Bond's last home run ball of his career and all sudden he came back to hit a couple more. Not the best example but there is still intrinsic value that is lost now that there is more around.

• Like 2

I think@belljohn summarizes it very well in his video reaction. The problem here is that LEGO is hurting an important (but not large) part of their customer base, and more specifically that part of the customer base which is keeping LEGO from being "just another toy".

I'm just guessing here, but I assume 75% of TLG's sales is to kids (or to adults buying for kids). They can't care less for the TM. Of the remainder, I assume 50% buys just because the set is cool and they have money to spend, and the other 50% buys to collect or resell. But for both those groups (the latter more than the former) the perception that the set they just purchased will likely not lose much value once opened (or will gain value once retired) is key in making their purchase decision.

By showing this group that nothing is sacred (first 75192, now 10256) customers will be more wary of making a large purchase, which hurts LEGO more than it will gain from the few sets they will sell extra (given cannabilization which will surely happen).

• Like 2

To follow up this does give you pause as a buyer because I am collector first and I love my collection. For instance I need the two oldest modular building but now I hesitate because I tell myself that if their into remaking/rehashing things I should just sit back and wait instead of adding to my collection. 

• Like 1