10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Would like to add my thoughts:

Owning a Taj Mahal that I purchased used one with manuals for $700 was I upset, Yes. But at the end of the day The new one would have cost about $400 ($370+tax immediate out of pocket). So I see it as a net loss of $300. Yes there are many other ways to justify this, but this one make me happy and less miserable about it.

What this has changed for me : I am no longer scouting ebay for deals on retired Modulars (GG, CC) or Legacy Star Wars sets. Basically not pulling out the money that I thought I would. 

How does the Taj affect my purchasing decisions: Cautious approach, as I feel that there might be a remake in the near future of other legacy iconic sets plus the number of large sets being popped out by LEGO, doesn't match my purchasing capacity.  Going forward in the future I am going to limit one large exclusive set rather than the multiples.

I logged on today to hit the $100 mark for the freebie and for the first time closed the browser with items in my cart... with a meh.. There was no sense of urgency. I feel the excitement is not there any more. Maybe it is a short term feeling.. who knows.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Phil B said:

By showing this group that nothing is sacred (first 75192, now 10256) customers will be more wary of making a large purchase, which hurts LEGO more than it will gain from the few sets they will sell extra (given cannabilization which will surely happen).

THIS.

• Like 2

The point I’m trying to make is that it seems that people think those that are upset with this decision are also investors that have a stock of 10189s and are complaining about the remake because of that.

It’s very much a “you don’t like the remake because you invested in it” rather than what I might mean in the larger picture.

Just something I’ve notice. I’ll see if I can go back and pick out specific examples.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mrbigz8657 said:

To follow up this does give you pause as a buyer because I am collector first and I love my collection. For instance I need the two oldest modular building but now I hesitate because I tell myself that if their into remaking/rehashing things I should just sit back and wait instead of adding to my collection. 

I love my collection, too. But with rerelease of TM this set is no more something special as it was before. Improved sets like the three UCS SW sets have decreased the value of the original sets a bit but have not fully destroyed it because the sets are different. This is not the case for TM...

43 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Is it just me, or does it feel like everyone that says “I’m okay with this” also says “you investors had time to sell”

Because it seems like the people that are NOT okay with this also don’t have a dog in the “I’m still holding a 10189” fight.

I feel like the majority of people that are not happy with this decision also do not have 10189s in stock to sell.

Am I wrong about that? Of those of you that think this is a bad decision, do you have any 10189s?

This on Lego's twitter feed explains why its the principle as soon as you bring one back for the fans the next one follows. Next year which victim is it? CC? GG?

image.thumb.png.7f798bd40b28f98a098ec77abea350e6.png

It´s a bad decision but not unexpected.

My game plan was never to keep stuff for more than 5 years as I don´t have the space or patience and the market has proven that it is no longer an effective way of investing in Lego. I´d love to here @emazers and @darin´s take on recent events as that WAS very much their strategy. I guess low buy-ins will save quite a few people as they can still undercut Lego´s new one. The main problem will be for the bullish who paid over the odds.

Town Hall is probably my biggest exposure right now as some were bought at full retails (apart from stuff like TB and T1, which still haven´t retired).

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

I know that it doesn't matter to TLG or anyone else, but I'm done buying multiples of anything except for a couple sealed collections I'll have to keep going (Ideas and modulars). Other than those two themes, I won't be buying more than one of anything anymore (and at most I'll only buy two of anything from those themes). I had cut my buying way back over the past 18-24 months anyway, but this rerelease has ended any interest I had left in messing with LEGO products for profit down the road.

I sold my last sealed Taj and all but one sealed first edition 10179 (that I'm keeping) last year.  In the last 3 years I've sold off a few hundred thousand dollars worth of my collection with the intention of holding on to some things and adding small amounts going forward.  Now that this rerelease has come about, I'll be selling off everything I have left that isn't part of my personal building or small sealed collections.   I'll still buy and collect for my collection because I enjoy it and like the product, but beyond that it's just another thing to collect now.  

• Like 7

100% ditto here except for the "sold off a few hundred thousand dollars worth" comment.

28 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I know that it doesn't matter to TLG or anyone else, but I'm done buying multiples of anything except for a couple sealed collections I'll have to keep going (Ideas and modulars). Other than those two themes, I won't be buying more than one of anything anymore (and at most I'll only buy two of anything from those themes). I had cut my buying way back over the past 18-24 months anyway, but this rerelease has ended any interest I had left in messing with LEGO products for profit down the road.

I sold my last sealed Taj and all but one sealed first edition 10179 (that I'm keeping) last year.  In the last 3 years I've sold off a few hundred thousand dollars worth of my collection with the intention of holding on to some things and adding small amounts going forward.  Now that this rerelease has come about, I'll be selling off everything I have left that isn't part of my personal building or small sealed collections.   I'll still buy and collect for my collection because I enjoy it and like the product, but beyond that it's just another thing to collect now.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This remake is different from previous remakes in that they aren't even pretending to have upgraded it.

They are advertising it as the relaunched 2008 model.

I bought a Taj used for $1000 a little over a year ago.  Am I bitter - no I don't sell the sets I build.  Would I ever sink big dollars into a retired UCS or large retired set ever again - HELL NO.  

Many many many afol brickpickers who have come into the fold since Taj was released would never have shelled out $1000+ for a  used taj are quietly doing fist pumps that they will now get build a new mint genuine LEGO version of one of the great sets of all time for a pittance of what the outlay would have been just a few days ago.  

So many other things they could have created in lego form but they chose to "relaunch" the set that's selling for $3K+ in the aftermarket .  what a surprise. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cladner said:

This remake is different from previous remakes in that they aren't even pretending to have upgraded it.

They are advertising it as the relaunched 2008 model.

I bought a Taj used for $1000 a little over a year ago.  Am I bitter - no I don't sell the sets I build.  Would I ever sink big dollars into a retired UCS or large retired set ever again - HELL NO.  

Many many many afol brickpickers who have come into the fold since Taj was released would never have shelled out $1000+ for a  used taj are quietly doing fist pumps that they will now get build a new mint genuine LEGO version of one of the great sets of all time for a pittance of what the outlay would have been just a few days ago.  

So many other things they could have created in lego form but they chose to "relaunch" the set that's selling for $3K+ in the aftermarket .  what a surprise. 

That´s why TLG are happy. The spare 600 USD can be spent on another 2 new sets and go into their coffers rather than going into the pockets of reseller scum (tm) or the Chinese.

Of course, they will end up cannibalising their own sales by offering too much choice and also by alienating the reseller market and the collectors who want their collection to have some sort of long term value.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

Bigger than you think.

They´ll have a strong last semester this year, what with the rocket, Falcon, TLJ, Ninjago Movie and 2018 sets. 1HY 2018 should be fine too with JW and Solo. Last semester of 2018 will be a struggle, right enough. They´ll need to launch some kickass new theme to replace Nexo.

Of those of you that think this is a bad decision, do you have any 10189s?

I think of it as a really bad decision as well and I don't own any!
Investing is one part of the story and everybody knows it sure has its ups & downs.
But imho, longer-term speaking, this trend of reissuing could hurt collectibility of LEGO enormously. And that's what I am afraid of.

I'm sure there are many just like you. I have cut way back as well. I only buy what I really like or something that is discounted heavily. I have a feeling 2017 will be another year of decreasing profits for LEGO. The movies might skew things, but the brick business is nowhere as strong as it was.

On another note...My son would rather build virtual reality bricks on Minecraft than in LEGO bricks. This does not bode well for LEGO in my opinion. A $50 video game basically replicates the way more expensive LEGO bricks. Maybe LEGO will primarily be a toy for adults who had an emotional connection decades ago.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I'm sure there are many just like you. I have cut way back as well. I only buy what I really like or something that is discounted heavily. I have a feeling 2017 will be another year of decreasing profits for LEGO. The movies might skew things, but the brick business is nowhere as strong as it was.

On another note...My son would rather build virtual reality bricks on Minecraft than in LEGO bricks. This does not bode well for LEGO in my opinion. A $50 video game basically replicates the way more expensive LEGO bricks. Maybe LEGO will primarily be a toy for adults who had an emotional connection decades ago.

Duplo+ for everyone! ;)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Val-E said:

They´ll have a strong last semester this year, what with the rocket, Falcon, TLJ, Ninjago Movie and 2018 sets. 1HY 2018 should be fine too with JW and Solo. Last semester of 2018 will be a struggle, right enough. They´ll need to launch some kickass new theme to replace Nexo.

You might be surprised.

It seems like they are re releasing all the big iconic Lego sets. Next? Eiffel Tower, an updated Statue of Liberty? They are targeting the AFOL's who pony up lots of money for retired Lego sets.

It's sad that the lack of creativity and originality has become so widespread. You see the same thing in Hollywood. All the movies are rehashes of old movies.