10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I would think the demand for CC and GG modulars would exceed TM? Even if sales are slower than expectations this isn’t costing Lego a great deal (compared to a slightly redesigned modular) and I am still expecting one of these to be released in late 2018.

I will eventually buy the TM as a personal build, apart from a few sets I have left to sell, my reselling days are over.. except when I visit London in a few weeks and stock up on Lesters as these sell great on non UK markets.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Major dislike.@citymorgue is no troll. Just because he has a different PoV does not warrant name-calling. I find the various opinions on LEGOs recent move refreshing, and welcome them any time of the day. Personally, I think this is a dumb move, because how many people are really interested in this set? It had interest because it was unattainable, but now that it is, I don't think it will be a top seller. I'm definitely not even remotely interested.

I wasnt talking  about citymorgue.

48 minutes ago, gregpj said:

It's because "members" are openly throwing it in the face of investors - and I quote...

Who's not acting like a grown up? I know it's hard to judge what people are really thinking through only typed words, but we can make some logical inferences from previous posts especially when they are consistently "you all have no idea what you're talking about" type of posts. I also think that if you held Taj for 10 years hoping for another spike you're being greedy and foolish given LEGO's rereleases of Toy Shop, Snowspeeder, Death Star and the super long life span of sets such as the T1 and Tower Bridge.. but I won't refer to them as "precious profits" just to spite them.

On the flip side, investors who've thrown it in the face of the wonderful collectors who pay those outrageous secondary market prices also get told to play nice.

Dilly! Dilly!

• Haha 1

Some are being very dramatic about this. It's an excellent re-release for Lego, as it was already designed (no extra engineering costs), has verifiable demand (post-eol price rises), and is a cool set of iconic infrastructure - many will get this re-release. If it's a success (I bet it will be), there will probably be some similar rereleases like Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower. What these have in common: huge parts counts, common color swaths, few if any special / unique parts, minifigs, or licensing - overall cheap to produce, probably a good margin set. 

If you had originals for reselling, you obviously missed the boat bigtime. By YEARS. There was a boat full of cash with years of opportunity to board. You can't just hold a set and expect it to appreciate forever - sell when the gettin' is good. That goes for everything, imo. Whether Lego remakes it, releases something to compete with it, or a faker crushes its price, there are many things going against price appreciations these days. The capital must flow. 

Very cool set, and I think this showcases one of the main ways Lego will combat fakes: Remakes (cut margins on resales / fakes). Another is high detail molds / print quality (something fakers can't get right, like minifigs, though there are already plenty of knockoffs)

If Tower Bridge is any indicator, this should be around for years. Seeing as these large creator sets have no (or very few) really unique parts, their inventory is always in production, and are probably pretty cheap (relatively) to hash together as its just the right assemblage of bulk parts. Cheap colors, at that. Bulk white and tan... 

I'm still not interested. No place to display it, too square shaped. Cool for those who do want it though! 

Lego will probably have remakes popup when convenient, it should be a very simple database inventory check against what they are producing vs out of production. 

Fun fact: They just reprinted the 2x2 Round Macaroni brick in sand green (new mold) for the Lego Ninjago City and an Elves set. 

The only other set those appeared in? 3450 Statue of Liberty (old mold). 

Edited by Muffin Cup
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Happy Hallowe'en... I see it brings out the horrific nature in some of us - LEGO most of all.

I've now got all my excess polybags to one side to give out to trick or treaters this evening as I've just scoffed the entire box of Celebrations that I bought to give out. Yay... I can get rid of those 25 sodding parrots!

With all this "gloom" I'm really looking forward to owning my very first Taj Mahal. I just hope that it's not a first-day-frenzy like 75192 was.

Some are being very dramatic about this. It's an excellent re-release for Lego, as it was already designed (no extra engineering costs), has verifiable demand (post-eol price rises), and is a cool set of iconic infrastructure - many will get this re-release. If it's a success (I bet it will be), there will probably be some similar rereleases like Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower. What these have in common: huge parts counts, common color swaths, few if any special / unique parts, minifigs, or licensing - overall cheap to produce, probably a good margin set. 

If you had originals for reselling, you obviously missed the boat bigtime. By YEARS. There was a boat full of cash with years of opportunity to board. You can't just hold a set and expect it to appreciate forever - sell when the gettin' is good. That goes for everything, imo. Whether Lego remakes it, releases something to compete with it, or a faker crushes its price, there are many things going against price appreciations these days. The capital must flow. 

Very cool set, and I think this showcases one of the main ways Lego will combat fakes: Remakes (cut margins on resales / fakes). Another is high detail molds / print quality (something fakers can't get right, like minifigs, though there are already plenty of knockoffs)

If Tower Bridge is any indicator, this should be around for years. Seeing as these large creator sets have no (or very few) really unique parts, their inventory is always in production, and are probably pretty cheap (relatively) to hash together as its just the right assemblage of bulk parts. Cheap colors, at that. Bulk white and tan... 

I'm still not interested. No place to display it, too square shaped. Cool for those who do want it though! 

I don't think this really combats the knockoffs. Before the remake, fake Taj Mahals weren't taking any sales away from lego because lego wasn't selling Taj Mahals. Now they are competing. The knockoff brands take sales away from lego with sets like "fairies" and "Star Wnrs".
  • Like 1

I have been reading a lot of comment on Lego's FB page , and a lot of grown a** adults are asking for several remakes of HH, SSD, TH , ect... Again ,  adults asking for the re-release of those sets that only retired 2 to 3 years and many ( wont say most; going with the befit of the doubt here )  could have bought them when they are readily available. the only reason they want them now is because they see the price increase and perceive this set to be very special/unique/ special.  without this perceived look, many high end sets will stall down the road, but hey ,:  

giphy.gif

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I have been reading a lot of comment on Lego's FB page , and a lot of grown a** adults are asking for several remakes of HH, SSD, TH , ect... Again ,  adults asking for the re-release of those sets that only retired 2 to 3 years and many ( wont say most; going with the befit of the doubt here )  could have bought them when they are readily available. the only reason they want them now is because they see the price increase and perceive this set to be very special/unique/ special.  without this perceived look, many high end sets will stall down the road, but hey ,:  

giphy.gif

Possibly. Could also be those who came out of their dark ages after the sets were retired.

There will always be new people coming out of their dark ages, or growing up to an age where they can afford this hobby, who want retired sets at RRP and not at reseller prices.

With each rehash we've seen there are those applauding, and those who think the remakes are terrible for the brand. Then there are the hypocrites which are my personal favorite posts to read. Where one rehash is great (because they want it) but the rest are bad for the brand. We are all only as loyal as our own self interests.

I try not to get too involved either way. Just follow the money. If the market changes, adjust with it or get left behind. LEGO is doing the same thing. Adjusting to the market to bring in business and make sales. We're all, including LEGO, loyal to the bottom line.

• Like 2

Just now, brickvoyeur said:

I try not to get too involved either way. Just follow the money. If the market changes, adjust with it or get left behind. LEGO is doing the same thing. Adjusting to the market to bring in business and make sales. We're all, including LEGO, loyal to the bottom line.

Amen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clintonjoseph said:

I don't think this really combats the knockoffs. Before the remake, fake Taj Mahals weren't taking any sales away from lego because lego wasn't selling Taj Mahals. Now they are competing. The knockoff brands take sales away from lego with sets like "fairies" and "Star Wnrs".

Disagree....$150 spent on a knockoff Taj Mahal is still $150 not being spent on LEGO (City, Friends, Creator Expert, etc.).  LEGO wants every dollar spent on clones to come back to them.  This is one way to do it, though, there are consequences (as we're all hashing through).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Now we know what you're doing in your spare time... B15!

he was until he came across a despicable wretched fraudster of a bingo caller that fixed the outcome and to this day he will not play a game of chance that is over a $10 entry fee as they cannot be trusted one bit.

• Like 1

he was until he came across a despicable wretched fraudster of a bingo caller that fixed the outcome and to this day he will not play a game of chance that is over a $10 entry fee as they cannot be trusted one bit.

I used to work in IT for a very large Bingo company... Bingo is about as safe as it gets in games of chance.
  • Like 1

I might be wrong but that could be the same source code Lego use for SAH search function when you sort by price and display all items. Either that or Russian roulette.

Hah, that’s funny. I did a lot of the work on the pattern matching and card/sheet algorithms. I guarantee it was faster and better written than their search matching algorithms - the lady I had replaced and who started the work was very smart. ;)

Original box, bricks, figs and stickers. 100% complete.

Hey LEGO, remake this ****!

IMG_3371.JPG.923acd142b4ae9102401e5216bd0517c.JPG

As someone who never got the orginal Taj I am glad they remade it so I can get it for a somewhat reasonable price.

However, I can see what people are mad about as i have a massive collection of vintage space sets. And how mad i would be if LEGO decided to remake the galaxy explorer or the monorail. So i definitely can empathize with people on this re-issue.