10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, OCD_Chad said:

All the people that want one but can't or won't pay reseller prices.

Right - as @Clintonjoseph said - those who'd buy bogus bricks...

Look, the Taj Mahal is a beautiful and iconic building with quite the story about it's construction, but it's not even in the same galaxy for fan base as the Millennium Falcon and Star Wars. The set will sell but I don't think very well after the initial demand. They're digging themselves a hole ... regular collectors are starting to wonder why the prices are so damn high.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Here is a side-by-side. Do any of you remember the April´s Fool from a couple of years back (I think from The Brick Fan) when they said CC was going to be reissued? Reality is better than fiction.

10256-10189-lego-creator-expert-taj-maha

Interesting that 14 year olds are not as capable as they used to be according to the box.  

Lego has tanked in quality in the last two years and this isn't a surprise.  No creativity, rerelease after rerelease.  What a mess.

5 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

But where were these people when the set was out the first time? 10189 is (was) worth so much because it was rare, which is because few people bought one. I'd wager that the majority of people saying they 'missed out', or that buy fake ones, say / do so because of the value and fame of 10189. It has a prestige associated with it that makes people want it. The next set won't have a prestige, so nobody will care.

Additionally, many people will buy this new one because they feel they are getting a great deal. If sets get rehashed and don't appreciate in the first place, people will start to remember why they baulked at spending £300 on some plastic before. 

You sir are 1000.78% correct 

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I guess it is the brick separator.

If that really is the new part, this will go down as one of the funniest things ever IMO. It would almost be worth buying to build and then take a video of the tear-down with the "new" part and posting about how useful it is.

6 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Right - as @Clintonjoseph said - those who'd buy bogus bricks...

Look, the Taj Mahal is a beautiful and iconic building with quite the story about it's construction, but it's not even in the same galaxy for fan base as the Millennium Falcon and Star Wars. The set will sell but I don't think very well after the initial demand. They're digging themselves a hole ... regular collectors are starting to wonder why the prices are so damn high.

In the announcement video they specifically said it is for the fans that have been requesting re-releases.  Those people want the real thing.

• Like 1

LEGO are doing (and have done) unbelievable damage to their own value (way, way, way more than any perceived damage that the knockoffs could ever cause).
LEGO sets were worth more (and commanded a premium) because they were inevitably worth more than just a bunch of plastic toy pieces - now they are just overpriced plastic.
I am truly astounded at the level of their stupidity.

I agree. Short term bump. Long term fail. They are nervous. They are getting anxious in Denmark. A bad year in sales and they are looking for quick fixes. Too bad. Look at it his way....LEGO profits will continue disappoint and these remakes will help mask the main issues for awhile. Then the whole primary and secondary markets will weaken for years and make a comeback in a decade or so after they realize that old ideas are just that....old and that perceived values were indeed a major factor in their recent success.

I hope the resellers make a killing off of Falcons and Taj Mahals this Christmas and piss everyone off...
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

In the announcement video they specifically said it is for the fans that have been requesting re-releases.  Those people want the real thing.

...until they are asked to spend real dollars on it.  Lots of people request lots of things, and then don't want to pay for them when they are available.  Sometimes you have to be the adult in the room and look at the overall health of the child instead of feeding the children candy all day.

Edited by Sfcommando14
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

I'd say that too if I was taking the lazy route... marketing spin is for the sheeples.

LEGO just laid off 1400 workers ... you'll never convince me this is about the fans. It's about the bottom line and LEGO clearly thinks this will help them short term. The number of collectors they've pissed off with the remakes will catch up to them .. don't believe the hype of all the 16 year olds on Brickset saying they can't wait to buy this set, they never will!

• Like 2

Lego is having emails etc about all the iconic sets before 2008 everyday. . After 2008, they was a spike in investing, that got worst over time, and a hell of a new fanbase, so i find it normal that they re-release all the kits before that era, because most of the fans doesnt have one. Most of them, and they want one. They expended so dramaticly that prior 2008 huge set wasnt procuced in the same quantity has today, which helped for the reselling value alot, but new fans after 2008 are so huge that i don't see why lego woulnt re-release them, it will sell like hot cakes.  i wouldnt buy a taj at those insane price. I don't have one, and i will get one. Not happy for the reselling value, but everything has a end. simple has that.  I just hope it's for a limited time and it wont be 2-3 years on the shelf

Edited by TargetZero
  • Like 1

Responding to demand isn't stupid.  Appeasing fans over some bitter collectors won't hurt them.

Once you take resellers from the mix, demand will lower. Don't let the fake demand surrounding the new Falcon fool you. It was underproduced and/or undersold on purpose. The fans should be complaining about dated ideas and models. Without perceived values, people might as well buy counterfeits to save money.

12 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

...until they are asked to spend real dollars on it.  Lots of people request lots of things, and then don't want to pay for them when they are available.  Sometimes you have to be the adult in the room and look at the overall health of the child instead of feeding the children candy all day.

Sure they will.  Look at the status of 75192 right now.

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, Fleck said:

People are already unloading their old Taj Mahal's on eBay..... very sad day for all those people =(

The greedy hoaders have had plenty of time to offload at a vast profit and it was only a matter of time before LEGO bit them on the arse.

It wouldn’t surprise me if all the old modulars get resurrected too. It also wouldn’t surprise me if all the Harry Potter sets were rehashes too.

LEGO were once the biggest toy company in the World, they soon won’t be anymore!