10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

Responding to demand isn't stupid.  Appeasing fans over some bitter collectors won't hurt them.

Many people have no problem with overpaying for something (because they know, that if cared for,  it will at least hold its value).

When those buyers no longer buy (which is happening), it will hurt them a lot (and it can't be undone).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

Responding to demand isn't stupid.  Appeasing fans over some bitter collectors won't hurt them.

He has a point in that some people paid more for Lego because they could recoup on selling it used down the line (even if they never actually  do, it´s a good spouse baiter).

Now it´s just like Megabloks.

On the other hand, they are out of ideas and they need to maintain turnover so it´s a good way to do it short-term. Plus the flippers will make sure it OOS before Xmas and still make their money NOW rather than down the line. Win-win for everyone except hoarders. The ten year hold  plan doesn´t work anymore, sorry for anyoe who didn´t get the memo.

• Like 2

I don't like this at all. This devalues all lego sets in my opinion. Why even have or display these things if anyone can just get them at rrp anytime? Sure they're nice models, but a huge part of getting sets is their rarity. I don't have an original taj. But I liked the fact there were sets out there like that from before I collected. It made me look forward to what lego would release in the future. I would look through past sets and see things like CC, GG, taj, the old grand carousel... sure I'd like to have them. But some of the reason I wanted them was their rarity. I was really excited when I got a green grocer in a bulk lot for $60 last year. It made me want to buy all the modulars! Now I'm so afraid of a remake I might have to sell it. And I'm for sure not going to buy any large sets at rrp now. I just don't get it. "The fans wanted this" bull crap. This is a middle finger to long-time fans! This isn't for fans. This is for those that are fine with buying bogus bricks garbage. I thought lego was different. But apparently they just want to be expensive Lincoln Logs.

• Like 8

BTW many people clearly got in the loop late September as there has been a significant number of new Ebay listings of 10189 since 1st October.

Being a pure re-release, perhaps they were able to keep it under wraps for longer as only the box design would be the leak.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clintonjoseph said:

I don't like this at all. This devalues all lego sets in my opinion. Why even have or display these things if anyone can just get them at rrp anytime? Sure they're nice models, but a huge part of getting sets is their rarity. I don't have an original taj. But I liked the fact there were sets out there like that from before I collected. It made me look forward to what lego would release in the future. I would look through past sets and see things like CC, GG, taj, the old grand carousel... sure I'd like to have them. But some of the reason I wanted them was their rarity. I was really excited when I got a green grocer in a bulk lot for $60 last year. It made me want to buy all the modulars! Now I'm so afraid of a remake I might have to sell it. And I'm for sure not going to buy any large sets at rrp now. I just don't get it. "The fans wanted this" bull crap. This is a middle finger to long-time fans! This isn't for fans. This is for those that are fine with buying bogus bricks garbage. I thought lego was different. But apparently they just want to be expensive Lincoln Logs.

And there's that brand damage... 

Edited by biking_tiger
  • Like 1

Just think of all the creations are out there if you’ve been to a Lego builders convention like Brick Con, or been over to brothers brick, or even the custom sets others have made that buyers would love to have, just look at the Old Fishing Store made by someone other than Lego Group, all of this creativity but Lego can’t do nothing but just remake the same old stuff, just like Hollywood, they need new creators and new leadership.

2 minutes ago, wegj15 said:

Just think of all the creations are out there if you’ve been to a Lego builders convention like Brick Con, or been over to brothers brick, or even the custom sets others have made that buyers would love to have, just look at the Old Fishing Store made by someone other than Lego Group, all of this creativity but Lego can’t do nothing but just remake the same old stuff, just like Hollywood, they need new creators and new leadership.

They have had 3 CEO´s in the last year. They need a new one like we need another Burj Khalifa.

25 minutes ago, KShine said:

Many people have no problem with overpaying for something (because they know, that if cared for,  it will at least hold its value).

When those buyers no longer buy (which is happening), it will hurt them a lot (and it can't be undone).

I think that's a small percentage of their sales.

25 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

smdh

Damaging the brand is incredibly stupid. Where do new fans come from if a brand is damaged? 

I don't think giving fans what they want is damaging the brand.  This makes me more likely to buy Lego.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Sets like the Taj Mahal are clearly aimed at collectors... pretty sure it's not something most 7 year olds want under the Xmas tree or for their birthday. 

And what demand? The 2 or 3 sold each month on eBay? That's not demand...

Besides all the "collectors" are just going to be bitter about the price increase for 1 extra part. LEGO is cashing in on an easy release, simple as that. Lazy and short sighted ..  short term gain, long term nothing.

All the people that want one but can't or won't pay reseller prices.

• Like 2

We have the same discussion each time they do this. It´s just that they do it ever more frequently. People will make money on this set if their timing is good. It´s also ironic they used that photo of the new Falcon´s bricks beside the old Taj Mahal´s ones and the conspiracy theorists missed it!

20842266_10154981892433403_7397460188194

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Here is a side-by-side. Do any of you remember the April´s Fool from a couple of years back (from The Brick Fan https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-bringing-back-retired-modular-buildings-with-new-revival-theme/) when they said CC was going to be reissued? Reality is better than fiction.

10256-10189-lego-creator-expert-taj-maha

Well damn... they changed the background clouds and added a larger reflection in the pool. Yeesh, what's all the re-release fuss about. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cladner said:

in the end, TLG is in business to make money, not please afol or critics.  everyone who wanted a taj but didn't want to spend a few grand will now go out and buy this one and TLG will make money.

But where were these people when the set was out the first time? 10189 is (was) worth so much because it was rare, which is because few people bought one. I'd wager that the majority of people saying they 'missed out', or that buy fake ones, say / do so because of the value and fame of 10189. It has a prestige associated with it that makes people want it. The next set won't have a prestige, so nobody will care.

Additionally, many people will buy this new one because they feel they are getting a great deal. If sets get rehashed and don't appreciate in the first place, people will start to remember why they baulked at spending £300 on some plastic before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1