10256 - Taj Mahal (2017)

Pseudoty

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

10256 Taj Mahal

Ages 16+. 5,923 pieces.
US $369.99 – CA $449.99 – DE 329.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699.00 DKK

Discover the architectural wonder of the Taj Mahal!

Build and discover the Taj Mahal! The huge ivory-white marble mausoleum, renowned as one of the world’s architectural wonders, was commissioned in 1631 by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, the Empress Mumtaz Mahal. This relaunched 2008 LEGO® Creator Expert interpretation features the structure’s 4 facades with sweeping arches, balconies and arched windows. The central dome, subsidiary domed chambers and surrounding minarets are topped with decorative finials, and the raised platform is lined with recessed arches. The model is finished with ornate detailing throughout and intricate tilework around the base. With more than 5,900 pieces, this set is designed to deliver a rewarding building experience and makes a great display piece for the home or office.

• LEGO® interpretation of the real-world architectural wonder, the Taj Mahal.
  • Relaunched 2008 model, featuring 4 facades with arches and arched windows; central dome, 4 subsidiary domed chambers and 4 minarets, all topped with decorative finials; raised platform lined with recessed arches; ornate detailing throughout; and intricate tilework around the base.
  • Divides into 7 modular sections for easier transportation.
  • Put your LEGO® building skills to the test with one of the largest LEGO models ever created
  • Special elements include 6 blue 16×32 baseplates, white 1x5x4 bricks with bow, lots of transparent elements, ‘Erling’ bricks and ‘jumper’ plates.
  • Measures over 16” (43cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 20” (51cm) deep.

26244771689_b96cbc581d_z.jpg?resize=625,

37311412204_e3556a66f2_z.jpg?resize=625,

37967281766_f934a1bd55_z.jpg?resize=625,

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

This will flop, and bring both of them crashing down.

Even to people like me who wanted Taj in my collection and are one of the

Part of it was owning a piece of history, one of the Mt. Rushmore of Lego sets. It wasn’t the repetitive build or the ho-hum details!

Sad...

just when I got to a point in my life when I could be a builder and collector....

Sad.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Lego is no longer a collectible , it is back to being a toy , great toy but that kinds sucks.. i'm glad they were able to add an extra piece. 

100% correct... if they take the collectible aspect of Lego then it can be any brand of bricks that it just dont matter....
Why dont we have Ferrari remaking old cars and need cheap prices??? The is demand i'm sure :D but they need that if they want to be special they know that not everyone will be able to buy it... how can Lego be so stupid in smashing their one brand and becoming a simple toy and not a collectible item ??|?|

• Like 1

With recent financial expectations not being met by Lego, I would have to assume that any cost cutting opportunities will be considered. Re-released Taj Majal is not lazy...disappointing sure, but not lazy. To call it "For the Fans" is just a PR spin to justify a release that didn't take much effort or cost to begin with. There are still many other newer, big sets that are being released but I wouldn't count out the possibility that remakes will increase in the coming years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrToes16 said:

With recent financial expectations not being met by Lego, I would have to assume that any cost cutting opportunities will be considered. Re-released Taj Majal is not lazy...disappointing sure, but not lazy. To call it "For the Fans" is just a PR spin to justify a release that didn't take much effort or cost to begin with. There are still many other newer, big sets that are being released but I wouldn't count out the possibility that remakes will increase in the coming years.

Thats what some ppl told when a new DS as release and then when the MF was also release... and now Taj... what is next in line? If they started this path i dont see why they will go back.
In the future i expect allot more to be dumped in the market... as easy money, fast money but killing the brand in the long run :(

Thank god release date is soon so we don´t have 90 pages of hype to trawl through in the future before the money shots of cat related box damage and store rooms full of 100 copies.

Full marks for the sarcastic comment about the change of box in the video, though!

Edited by Val-E
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, MagicShop said:

100% correct... if they take the collectible aspect of Lego then it can be any brand of bricks that it just dont matter....
Why dont we have Ferrari remaking old cars and need cheap prices??? The is demand i'm sure :D but they need that if they want to be special they know that not everyone will be able to buy it... how can Lego be so stupid in smashing their one brand and becoming a simple toy and not a collectible item ??|?|

They are in the business of making money.  I don't think creating valuable items for you is high on their priority list.  The fans come first.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MagicShop said:

Thats what some ppl told when a new DS as release and then when the MF was also release... and now Taj... what is next in line? If they started this path i dont see why they will go back.
In the future i expect allot more to be dumped in the market... as easy money, fast money but killing the brand in the long run :(

Look, either they do it or the Chinese will for them. I know  they started with WTS before the knockoffs came on full stream but now they have no choice.

• Like 1

i have an old taj which i just finished taking apart and this looks cheese-slope identical which will be absolutely devastating to the old Taj's performance.

these remakes just prove that there is always a best time to sell.  holding indefinitely is never the right strategy. 

when new sealed in box taj's are going for 4 figures, its not a shock that TLG would want to cash in on the gravy. 

TLG has looked on for years jealously at resellers margins on retired sets.  the recent actions reveal a plan to cash in on the collector market and also hurt the resellers .

in the end, TLG is in business to make money, not please afol or critics.  everyone who wanted a taj but didn't want to spend a few grand will now go out and buy this one and TLG will make money.

another nail in the coffin of big set investing.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, cladner said:

in the end, TLG is in business to make money, not please afol or critics.  everyone who wanted a taj but didn't want to spend a few grand will now go out and buy this one and TLG will make money.

I do have to agree with your assessment.  Regardless, I am still very excited for this set and look forward to the day I have enough room to store it.

Personally, I've started to shift from large set-investing into smaller sets.  Granted, there are exceptions like 21309 Saturn Vs but I can't bring myself to hoard excessive large sets anymore.  Going all in on the Seasonals, baby!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cladner said:

i have an old taj which i just finished taking apart and this looks cheese-slope identical which will be absolutely devastating to the old Taj's performance.

these remakes just prove that there is always a best time to sell.  holding indefinitely is never the right strategy. 

when new sealed in box taj's are going for 4 figures, its not a shock that TLG would want to cash in on the gravy. 

TLG has looked on for years jealously at resellers margins on retired sets.  the recent actions reveal a plan to cash in on the collector market and also hurt the resellers .

What is the problem of making a side company not stictly related with lego with the name logo etc, divert 10% of the stock before the EOL to the company and allow them to resell later for the profit, easy money.

10 minutes ago, cladner said:

This is just going to make it harder for LEGO to stop the QFLL'ers. People will keep buying all the inventory of the next hot set just to flip. LEGO "seems" to hate it because of how it damages their reputation yet they do nothing to stop it. It's becoming the safer strategy. Women of NASA here we come!

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

LEGO are doing (and have done) unbelievable damage to their own value (way, way, way more than any perceived damage that the knockoffs could ever cause).

LEGO sets were worth more (and commanded a premium) because they were inevitably worth more than just a bunch of plastic toy pieces - now they are just overpriced plastic.

I am truly astounded at the level of their stupidity.

Responding to demand isn't stupid.  Appeasing fans over some bitter collectors won't hurt them.

• Like 1