Ideas #019: 21312 - Women of NASA

Val-E

Received a message from one of my buyers that bought at 79.99 complaining of damage and missing pieces, demanding a refund. Likely a scammer. Experienced FBM sellers (I do almost exclusively FBA) - how should I respond to this? Just refund to avoid the A-Z claim and move on?

I would ask for it to be sent back. Likely a scammer, but I wouldn't make it that easy for them.

1 hour ago, legodelorean said:

No, sounds like a pain in the a$$.  I try to sell local as much as possible and not use eBay as much.  No fees and no returns.

I couldnt put it a better way.. of course this doesnt apply for personal ads and such.. so this (and devualtion of an exchange rate between CZK / GBP or USD) is one of the axioms why I simply I simply tend to buy-in at max 50-55 % or RRP..  there are too much variables at stake, buying-in (in USD) and selling after a while (again in USD) doesnt give you any headache such as 2015: 1 GBP = 36 CZK (today its 29.7).  more or less the same for USD: 1 USD in 2015 = 26 CZK, today 22.. so that is like 18 % decrease in value in case of GBP in just 2 yrs and like 16 % compared to USD value -  just because our currency is getting stronger every due to US / UK investment bank purchases seeking higher interest rates from the central bank.. tell me about a "paradox" here :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I couldnt put it a better way.. of course this doesnt apply for personal ads and such.. so this (and devualtion of an exchange rate between CZK / GBP or USD) is one of the axioms why I simply I simply tend to buy-in at max 50-55 % or RRP..  there are too much variables at stake, buying-in (in USD) and selling after a while (again in USD) doesnt give you any headache such as 2015: 1 GBP = 36 CZK (today its 29.7).  more or less the same for USD: 1 USD in 2015 = 26 CZK, today 22.. so that is like 18 % decrease in value in case of GBP in just 2 yrs and like 16 % compared to USD value -  just because our currency is getting stronger every due to US / UK investment bank purchases seeking higher interest rates from the central bank.. tell me about a "paradox" here :D

Yeah, we don't have to deal with currency conversion really.  I only sell domestic so I don't have to worry about that stuff.  I can see how dealing in multiple currencies could be frustrating.

I would tell them to return it for a full refund. Don't give them a free set. You'll have to pay the return shipping but I would rather do that then give it away.
They could send you back a box of rocks though and you would still lose the fight. 

I did as you and others have said, they said they "discarded the item due to its damage." So obviously a scam now. Any way I can front run this with amazon seller support before they file a merit less az?

just to give those holding stock some hope for loftier returns, for the first time this week the seller count has dropped a decent amount 186->166.   low baller stock getting burned through - keep it up.  i need to flip a WoN into a F40.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

I did as you and others have said, they said they "discarded the item due to its damage." So obviously a scam now. Any way I can front run this with amazon seller support before they file a merit less az?

You can try to fight it but your pretty much boned. Amazon has become a place where the buyer is always right so its easy to scam. It's infuriating.

Try asking on the amz seller forums, you will get a lot more feedback there. 

At least it's just a $25 set. Many of us have gone through this with $300+ sets. 

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 2

You can try to fight it but your pretty much boned. Amazon has become a place where the buyer is always right so its easy to scam. It's infuriating.
Try asking on the amz seller forums, you will get a lot more feedback there. 
At least it's just a $25 set. Many of us have gone through this with $300+ sets. 

Thanks for the advice. I could care less about the set at this point, but I care a lot about the ding to my stats.

4 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

Thanks for the advice. I could care less about the set at this point, but I care a lot about the ding to my stats.

If metrics are your main concern just refund and move on. 

You could always mail him an anonymous thank you gift in a few months. It's always good service to thank your customers...

:derisive: just kidding

Edited by marcandre

1 hour ago, Pebble&Park said:

you best course of action is to send a prepaid label and tell them you will be happy to refund once the item  is sent back per Amazon's policy. do not engage the buyer after that .

If they open a claim , you have evidence that you did what you were supposed to do and  waiting for the item to come back to you 

I wouldn't just refund, it empower them.  

• Like 1

just to give those holding stock some hope for loftier returns, for the first time this week the seller count has dropped a decent amount 186->166.   low baller stock getting burned through - keep it up.  i need to flip a WoN into a F40.

400 listing on ebay. Is there hope there?

5 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

LOL - so much impatience on here, just wait for EOL and then not worry about returns ;-)

Or sell a bunch now, make a ton of money, and buy a bunch more once it's back in stock for an eol that's a year away. 

But then I may get a couple returns on the 100 sets I sold at double buy in? Oh dang, nevermind. 

• Like 1

I bought a total of 19, sold 2 at 49.99 and trying to stay competitive with lowest price on eBay without driving down costs. Only listing 8 and waiting until BF boom to see if price goes back up. I’m not panicking as long as there is money to be made. I still profit about $5- $10 per set I sell at this price point. Maybe more if I can source really light boxes. I think this is my floor though for what I’m willing to sell at. No more reducing to offload, the holiday shopping isn’t in full swing yet. If i still have some sitting there, then they will sit in my inventory until EOL. I have other products selling to keep a good cash flow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cladner said:

I'm "flipping" some into an FH. Isn't that right @dcdfan. ;-)

Edited by pstebbing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jbacunn said:

I never have understood why people post pictures like this on their listing and enter their max quantity that they have. It's telling the potential buyer " I got plenty of these. No rush. Wait to see if the price drops further".  

It's also possible that person is posting it up to scare away resellers. Telling all BPer's, I got this, you guys get out of my way.

I'm going to dump mine for $48 shipped before he drops his a bit lower.

• Like 2