Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

1 minute ago, legopocalypse said:

download.jpg

Haha, yep.  Every story you've heard about from other stores about not letting you use a coupon, or not matching a price, or withholding product, they are all true at this store.  They would rather not sell something than help you out.  I rarely go there unless it's for something exclusive like a polybag I can't get elsewhere.  I won't miss it.

• Like 2

Haha, yep.  Every story you've heard about from other stores about not letting you use a coupon, or not matching a price, or withholding product, they are all true at this store.  They would rather not sell something than help you out.  I rarely go there unless it's for something exclusive like a polybag I can't get elsewhere.  I won't miss it.

I for one will miss mine. A lot of fond childhood and adult memories with my kids. Yes their business model changed and soured the experience for some consumers, but as a child of the 80’s it was a magical experience. It will be sad when they close their doors for the last time. Those of you who poo poo the store well, just think of it this way- if you plan to have kids, where will you take them when you want to get them a toy? Target? Walmart? They will never know what it’s like. I think some of you have taken it for granted, and will only realize it after it is gone.

1 hour ago, labfreak7 said:

I for one will miss mine. A lot of fond childhood and adult memories with my kids. Yes their business model changed and soured the experience for some consumers, but as a child of the 80’s it was a magical experience. It will be sad when they close their doors for the last time. Those of you who poo poo the store well, just think of it this way- if you plan to have kids, where will you take them when you want to get them a toy? Target? Walmart? They will never know what it’s like. I think some of you have taken it for granted, and will only realize it after it is gone.

I'm a child of the 80's, born in '77, but didn't grow up in a town large enough to have a store like this.  We had general stores that had a toy section, so I don't have that same nostalgia that others do.  I can relate to losing things from your childhood and them not being the same these days.  I do have kids, 11 and 8, they shop on Amazon.  My son could care less if he walks through a row of toys, my daughter is still young enough to love that experience, but it doesn't matter to her where it is.  That Toys R Us sign does nothing more than a Target sign, they both have toys to an 8 year old.  

I feel bad for the employees that will lose jobs, but that's about it. 

• Like 4

"You only adopted not having a toys r us. I didn't see a toys r us until I was a man, and by then it was nothing to me but overpriced!"

seriously though, all the toy stores we had here when I was a kid went out of business long ago. I remember the ads for tru on cable, but my nostalgia level is 0. I hope the people that worked at my local store are ok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

"You only adopted not having a toys r us. I didn't see a toys r us until I was a man, and by then it was nothing to me but overpriced!"

seriously though, all the toy stores we had here when I was a kid went out of business long ago. I remember the ads for tru on cable, but my nostalgia level is 0. I hope the people that worked at my local store are ok.

My Mom and I talked about Toys R Us closing.  My Mom told me she avoided taking us in there, which is why I don't remember going there until I was a teenager.

• Like 3

On certain buys that 2% is pretty good. Just gotta play and use the right CC for the right purchase.

Exactly. You can do a lot worse than a 2% cash back card. I’m one to optimize every purchase I make (maybe because I’m an industrial engineer who teaches optimization), but there are plenty of purchases where a 2% reward is as good as you can do. For people who don’t want to juggle a bunch of CCs in their wallet, using a 2% card for everything works pretty well.

24 minutes ago, Jivepicnic said:

Exactly. You can do a lot worse than a 2% cash back card. I’m one to optimize every purchase I make (maybe because I’m an industrial engineer who teaches optimization), but there are plenty of purchases where a 2% reward is as good as you can do. For people who don’t want to juggle a bunch of CCs in their wallet, using a 2% card for everything works pretty well.

Anyone know when they send us a new card do they do credit checks?

22 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

Times Square TRU %off still holding steady at measly 5. But they’ve got retired galaxy squad sets, so, I guess if you want to pay $$$$ for nothing, they’ve got you covered. IMG_8390.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

That reminds me of the Speed Champions Ferrari Semi-Truck set from a couple of years ago I recently saw at a TRU.  IT had a beat up box and 25% mark-up over MSRP.