Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

47 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

My continuing Cardpool saga....

Went in store to do an online order with my Cardpool GCs and was told they couldn't process it in store.  They said they haven't been able to do it for days, though.

Live Chat is no up and running anymore, it seems (for TRU.com).  I'm hoping to try with a live person on the phone.  

If not, I'm down to one of two options - Cardpool agrees to do a refund, or, I might have a chance to use the gift cards in store for a regular purchase (as opposed to the online purchase I was trying to make).

Really wasn't wanting to do that, but I may not have much option.

Although TRU's website indicates that it is still accepting, how likely do you think it is for TRU.com to actually fulfill orders placed in the next several days?  I am sitting on ~$600 of GCs and I am interested in ordering Taj Mahal and Ninjago City.  If TRU.com end up refunding my order several weeks from now, I will be sitting on ~$600 of GCs at a point in time when most of the better sets will have been liquidated.

What to do ...?

option 1: Buy Saturn Vs in store

option 2: Roll the dice and order Taj Mahal and Ninjago City online ... with the chance that I might end up with $600 of GCs at a time when the only Lego sets available in store are from the Chima, Super Heroes, Ninjago, Nexo Knights, and City lines.

1 hour ago, bigboy61 said:

You do have another option. Just call the CC company and have them do a charge-back if all else fails. 

46 minutes ago, cambridge02138 said:

Although TRU's website indicates that it is still accepting, how likely do you think it is for TRU.com to actually fulfill orders placed in the next several days?  I am sitting on ~$600 of GCs and I am interested in ordering Taj Mahal and Ninjago City.  If TRU.com end up refunding my order several weeks from now, I will be sitting on ~$600 of GCs at a point in time when most of the better sets will have been liquidated.

What to do ...?

option 1: Buy Saturn Vs in store

option 2: Roll the dice and order Taj Mahal and Ninjago City online ... with the chance that I might end up with $600 of GCs at a time when the only Lego sets available in store are from the Chima, Super Heroes, Ninjago, Nexo Knights, and City lines.

Other advice aside - because TRU is saying they are still fulfilling right now....

If they are merchandise return gift cards, you will be SOL unless you go into the store and use them (I hope).  YMMV when it comes to using them, and whether they care if there is a name attached to the card.

After spending an hour on hold, I tried ordering through talking to a person.  No dice.  Person was hardline on "merchandise return GCs can only be used in store."

I've already requested a return from Cardpool, but that could take 3 days (maybe more since it's Friday afternoon).  I may give one of the cards a try in store tonight to see what happens when I use a merch return GC in store on a product in stock (as opposed to trying to order something online).

If it's a straight amount GC (which I bought some of those this week, too), it will work online no problem.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I did that with Raise and they locked my account.  They wouldn't refund me for a non-working card.

Raise locked your Raise account?  And then they wouldn't refund your GC purchase?  Did your CC at least accept the charge back?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Yep, I got the chargeback. They won’t reinstate me until they get their money.

Once I got a gift card on Raise and the balance went to zero before I used it all. I called them and they refunded me the right amount. I was pleased with the customer service. I have never used cardpool though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

Sorry if this has already been covered - But what's the timeline/fate of toysrus.com? Anyone know?

No one really knows.  I was on an online chat with TRU.com.  The rep stated to me that TRU.com expected to fill orders already placed on TRU.com.  When I asked about new orders that I planned to place over the weekend, the rep stated to me that TRU.com also expected to fill those orders.  In both cases, the rep said that while he expected that TRU,com would fulfill these orders, he could not guarantee that.  When I asked about the delays in the orders I already placed, the rep said that TRU.com was working with Lego to obtain these sets.  In other words, it appeared to me that some of these larger Lego sets that were available for order on TRU.com were not in TRU's warehouses.  Given the dispute between Lego and TRU, I am not sure how successful TRU would be in obtaining these larger popular sets to fulfill customer orders if TRU was not already in possession of these larger popular sets.

As a result of this online chat, I am planning to spend my remaining GCs and MCs in TRU retail stores on Lego sets that are not my first choices, as my first choices are available online only and not in the retail stores.  I don't want to end up in a situation where after several weeks, TRU.com cancels my orders and my TRU GCs and MCs are in limbo.  Even if they refund my GCs and MCs, it may be so late where there will not be many attractive items left at the retail stores.

As a parent of two kids, I had over $1,500 of GCs and MCs after last Christmas.

I would love to hear any info from others regarding TRU.com and the use of MCs on TRU.com.

Edited by cambridge02138
  • Like 1

Dear Rewards"R"Us member,

Please be advised that the Rewards"R"Us loyalty program has ended on March 22, 2018.

As a result:

Reward Dollars are no longer accepted on purchases either in-store or online.

Geoffrey's Birthday Club coupons are no longer accepted either in-store or online.

Endless Earnings e-gift cards that have already been issued and are unexpired will be accepted until April 21, 2018.

It has been our pleasure to serve you and we thank you for being a loyal Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us customer.

• Like 1

TRU I visited yesterday evening had 10% off newer LEGO and 30% off older sets.  They were almost wiped out of LEGO, except... wait for it... Jyn Erso's.  Must had about 70 of them on the shelves.  I wonder if LEGO will eventually just give these away. lol

Jyn Erso will be the give away this year for May 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/23/2018 at 10:36 AM, Alpinemaps said:

Well, that was sad.

Went to Toys R Us at opening. Line of 50 people steaming in as I pulled up.

Signs up “up to 30% off” but shelf tags saying 10%. 5% for all building toys (LEGO and Mega).

People were swarming. Carts full. The Toys R Us employee I talked to said, just the way people were acting he felt like they’d be cleaned out by tonight.

I feel for the employees. They still want to do a good job. They still want to help. Feels like they’ve hit the acceptance phase of mourning.

I was at a local toy s rus yesterday, not sure when they hung 60% off the stock on the entrance. Half of the store was empty including Lego section. The music was playing, "shalalala, shalalala, shalalala... " you probably know the song. It seemed to be a happy song, trying very hard to cover up the sadness of the end of the company and people losing jobs. Customers like us, "took advantage of" the deep discount like no mercy. It is just so "human".... I did not buy any because there was no more lego at this location but I would not go to another location just to get maybe few hundred dollars profit and I don't really have time for that.... or hear another "shalalala, shalala, shalala..." happy song at that setting.

11 hours ago, tyclin said:

I was at a local toy s rus yesterday, not sure when they hung 60% off the stock on the entrance. Half of the store was empty including Lego section. The music was playing, "shalalala, shalalala, shalalala... " you probably know the song. It seemed to be a happy song, trying very hard to cover up the sadness of the end of the company and people losing jobs. Customers like us, "took advantage of" the deep discount like no mercy. It is just so "human".... I did not buy any because there was no more lego at this location but I would not go to another location just to get maybe few hundred dollars profit and I don't really have time for that.... or hear another "shalalala, shalala, shalala..." happy song at that setting.

Yes, it's sad...I am very disappointed with the whole situation.  It was depressing walking around my TRU the other day.  Yet till the very end, TRU still gouged people with silly prices on various items.  Over the years, they made poor choices, especially online.  While Amazon would give generous commissions to affiliates, TRU gave NOTHING.  Adios TRU...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes, it's sad...I am very disappointed with the whole situation.  It was depressing walking around my TRU the other day.  Yet till the very end, TRU still gouged people with silly prices on various items.  Over the years, they made poor choices, especially online.  While Amazon would give generous commissions to affiliates, TRU gave NOTHING.  Adios TRU...

Most importantly, because of their bad bussiness strategy, 33,000 people are now losing their jobs. 

Exactly. Who are you going to promote? The person that pays you to promote them the best. And even if Amazon is giving pennies (I have no idea), pennies are better than a big fat zero.

4 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Exactly. Who are you going to promote? The person that pays you to promote them the best. And even if Amazon is giving pennies (I have no idea), pennies are better than a big fat zero.

Amazon is fair, but even that is decreasing.  TRU was like "screw off" to us and many other Mom and Pop sites.  Target and eBay are now going the TRU route with affiliate advertising.  Watch them tank as well.

• Like 1