Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

I'm sure someone will eventually work a deal to keep some of the stores open.  It is too important for toy manufacturers for it not to happen.  Unfortunately, my local TRU will not be one that remains open.  

They are all slated to close. If there is a deal, it will probably be limited to a few stores in metro areas and online. My store was always very busy, and it is closing. Employees have all either gotten new jobs or are looking.

It's funny because around here the LEGO sections are shrinking significantly at the meager 5% discount and they are filling it in with toys from other areas of the store.  An employee told me they aren't getting any more LEGO sets, but I don't know how accurate that is.  She also said they are emptying their distribution centers, but they haven't touched the online warehouse here in central Ohio.  I don't know if that will eventually get sent to the stores or will be sold wholesale.

Edited by zskid00

1 hour ago, brickology101 said:

My toys r us store is now showing up to 40% off outside versus 30% til recently. Went inside, Lego aisles still well stuffed with paltry 5% off. Will be back. It is a patience game.

Exact same experience.  *sigh*  Sadly, even at 10% off, many sets still won't be at MSRP.

50 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

It's funny because around here the LEGO sections are shrinking significantly at the meager 5% discount and they are filling it in with toys from other areas of the store.  An employee told me they aren't getting any more LEGO sets, but I don't know how accurate that is.  She also said they are emptying their distribution centers, but they haven't touched the online warehouse here in central Ohio.  I don't know if that will eventually get sent to the stores or will be sold wholesale.

41597 - Brickheadz Go Brick Me showed up out of the blue this week.

Sounds like TRU Canada has a buyer, not sure if it's official yet, but it sounded like it would be today or tomorrow, Fairfax Financial or something was the bidder.

Pretty happy about that if so, the toy market in Canada is pretty bad. Perfect example was the Jurassic World Mattel toy line release, no-one but TRU had any of the items on the Apr 16 release day in store in my area.

10 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Sounds like TRU Canada has a buyer, not sure if it's official yet, but it sounded like it would be today or tomorrow, Fairfax Financial or something was the bidder.

Pretty happy about that if so, the toy market in Canada is pretty bad. Perfect example was the Jurassic World Mattel toy line release, no-one but TRU had any of the items on the Apr 16 release day in store in my area.

This is great news. The owner, Prem Wards, has been called the Canadian Warren Buffett. He’s turned Blackberry around along with a number of retail operations. Crisis averted

1 hour ago, Clintonjoseph said:

10% off lego now. bunch of interesting sets showed up also. most about rrp even with the 10% off though. 

That is the saddest thing.  Many sets will have to get to 15% off before they're considered a bargain compared to Target, Walmart, etc. every-day prices.

If Fairfax is successful at bidding for TRU Canada, will Prem Watsa appoint Blackberry CEO John Chan to turn this ship around as well? After all, TRU needs to "digitized" if it wants a chance to survive into the future.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-20/fairfax-is-said-to-agree-to-purchase-toys-r-us-canadian-unit?utm_campaign=PostBeyond&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_term=%23208684

17 hours ago, tacsniper said:

If Fairfax is successful at bidding for TRU Canada, will Prem Watsa appoint Blackberry CEO John Chan to turn this ship around as well? After all, TRU needs to "digitized" if it wants a chance to survive into the future.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-20/fairfax-is-said-to-agree-to-purchase-toys-r-us-canadian-unit?utm_campaign=PostBeyond&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_term=%23208684

Apparently Fairfax was successful and now may buy some US stores?

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business-news/fairfax-eyeing-some-u-s-stores-after-toys-r-us-canada-purchase/

I am happy that we will get to keep our Toysrus stores in Canada (some changes obviously will come with a new owner like Fairfax).   My kids and I love going there!

57 minutes ago, kouks said:

Apparently Fairfax was successful and now may buy some US stores?

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business-news/fairfax-eyeing-some-u-s-stores-after-toys-r-us-canada-purchase/

I am happy that we will get to keep our Toysrus stores in Canada (some changes obviously will come with a new owner like Fairfax).   My kids and I love going there!

Amen. Glad Canadian stores ares staying. Hope we will still get Bricktober sets. Love those mini modular sets.

Edited by tacsniper

For anyone still holding TRU Cards

Kmart, a big box department store chain fully owned by Sears, will allow customers to cash in Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us gift cards at store locations across the U.S. in exchange for its “FREECASH” reward points. It is offering $10 in points in exchange for gift cards, to be put toward any in-store purchase of $10 or more. Kmart will also offer $5 in points toward the in-store purchase of any toy worth $5 or more – an incentive aimed at attracting more consumers into its children’s department.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/kmart-will-cash-in-your-toys-r-us-gift-cards