Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, andyposterfan said:

I built mine but sold it a week later. Got back exactly what I paid, £110.

(sold it just because I enjoyed the build but want to keep display to a minimum. I'll pick it up again nearer EoL)

... or you can buy it from me after EOL for £250? ;-) I'll probably be one of the cheapest too!

27 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

... or you can buy it from me after EOL for £250? ;-) I'll probably be one of the cheapest too!

I am seeing this set EVERYWHERE now. Even some notoriously scalping shops are selling it for RRP. It´s going to be a long year for anyone who went in big on these. Maybe even longer.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I am seeing this set EVERYWHERE now. Even some notoriously scalping shops are selling it for RRP. It´s going to be a long year for anyone who went in big on these. Maybe even longer.

Not in the UK, just LEGO and John Lewis... for now. I've got a "nominal" amount of these and they are all now in a secure warehouse and they can stay there for 10 years if they want even if they only double in value. LEGO will eventually can this as I don't think they will run an IDEAS set for that long as it could impair collectivity of the whole theme. The Mars Rover was nearly as hot and this didn't last that long. Most of mine were bought at a good discount so I can still sell at RRP and walk away with enough to buy a pint and a kebab.

19 minutes ago, Val-E said:

TabbyBoy is wrong for three reasons....

1. The demand on this set has decreased and the price is even on Ebay coming to MSRP... Beside this the set is really everywhere...

2. And I, as Godfather of investment, say, do NOT invest in these sets... And I have made only one big mistake in my 10 years of investment (bought 100 x 21110 at double MSRP)

3. Which sense would TabbyBoy have in telling everybody to invest in this set and increase the competition? The reason is simple, he invests industriously in another set...

Edited by mauro23

Guest TabbyBoy

Why all the doom, gloom and impatience with this fantastic set? I can't understand why people are selling so soon when it's an easy 2x RRP 1-2 years after EOL. It's the best set this decade - period!

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why all the doom, gloom and impatience with this fantastic set? I can't understand why people are selling so soon when it's an easy 2x RRP 1-2 years after EOL. It's the best set this decade - period!

Once again - yes, it is a fantastic set, but this does not mean anything about how good it will do after retirement (look at Orthanc Tower as one good example). The production figures are already much more than for MR, and not every person is interested in space travel. So for me, it looks that the market is already saturated with Saturn V...

Edited by mauro23
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

There will be at least 24 months shelf life, enough to stock up and see this set discounted at least once next year during black friday or any different clearance event. Now you can get a dime without hassle, money are always money. That's how I understand that.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Once again - yes, it is a fantastic set, but this does not mean anything about how good it will do after retirement (look at Orthanc Tower as one good example). The production figures are already much more than for MR, and not every person is interested in space travel. So for me, it looks that the market is already saturated with Saturn V...

What are the production figures for 21309 and 21104? Most markets get saturated in the beginning, even the Delorean was resold at under RRP for a while and was available discounted everywhere without limits. Nobody really knows how 21309 will perform, but I'm willing to go all in and take a chance.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V