KMart/Sears - Shop Your Way Rewards and points discussion

25 minutes ago, carini26 said:

Curious, how are you guys accumulating so many points in between transactions?  I seem to get to $10-$15 before my sweeps wins near expiration.  Then again, lately I am only averaging maybe .05 - .50 in 'wins' per day not counting WWW.   

I too am curious. I am at VIP Silver level, but from what I'm reading people are getting large sums back in points for purchases. My points back on purchases have been locked at 1% for awhile. I'm certainly not getting $10 back in a transaction.

My most recent purchase:

Pre-Tax Subtotal: 65.59

$0.66 in points(656 points)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

I too am curious. I am at VIP Silver level, but from what I'm reading people are getting large sums back in points for purchases. My points back on purchases have been locked at 1% for awhile. I'm certainly not getting $10 back in a transaction.

My most recent purchase:

It really comes down to coupon stacking and Raise.com points back bonuses. I'm getting a little point boost every few days from Raise, plus I use points back coupons frequently. That is the formula for a successful SYW gravy train

41 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

My most recent purchase:

My recent purchase:

Pre-points total: 30.78 for 2 sets

My points: $12.66 ($1.70 from purchase on 3/17; the rest from WWW/Doorbuster/sweeps over the last 4 days)

Surprise points: $7 off $25 in toys

7% GC bought through Raise (those points won't be usable until next month)

Total out of pocket after tax: $11.98 for two items that retail for $40

And that was without a coupon for points back and with a mediocre gift card

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MinifigW said:

I was thinking about using points as well. Best case scenario in my opinion is get to $50, use a $10/50 and $10 in points to get to as close as $30 as possible, then earn $10 back for a net point loss of zero. Repeat as many transactions as they allow or until you run out of coupons. That's an additional 40% off each transaction, stack with up to 25% off sale prices for a max of 55% off with out really losing any points.

My MO on this promo...

Depending on the item prices you'll need to play with the purchase amounts to try to get as close to $35 or $50 to use the coupons.  By default the $30 requirement is met with the use of the $35 coupon ($35-5=30).

So if you max out the coupon (purchases of exactly 35 or 50) the respective theo maximum discounts are $35-5-10-.35 = 44% and $50-10-10-.50 = 41%

In reality it's best to use the coupon combination that works for any given situation.  I didn't have any 10/50, but 5/35 worked better because most of the sets I bought were $25-30, then added a $5-10 set to get to $35.  A little creativity goes a long way with SYW and the Kmart system.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Related but random question.  Anyone have the paypal payment option gone on Raise?  For the past few days I'm seeing credit card only.

I used Paypal on Raise on my Droid phone yesterday, no problem. 

7 hours ago, carini26 said:

Curious, how are you guys accumulating so many points in between transactions?  I seem to get to $10-$15 before my sweeps wins near expiration.  Then again, lately I am only averaging maybe .05 - .50 in 'wins' per day not counting WWW.   

There are a LOT of ways to earn points on SWY.  It is a game that SWY/Kmart/Sears plays to manage their business and on the fringes are a few sharp people that can take the system to task.  YMMV, but here are 3 ways I've seen recently to earn big points ($100+) between LEGO purchases...

* Run your Raise purchases through SYW ($400 for me in 2 months).  To maximize return, wait for Raise 3-4% off weekend promos.  Since the program shuts off at $5000 in GC purchases, don't waste the discount on GCs that are frequently discounted elsewhere... You may see TRU for 9+8+3 (18.8%), but TRU GCs are often on special for 15% on eBay and occasionally on sale for 20% elsewhere.  Use them to max out the tougher GCs like LEGO store & WM.

* Watch for in-store specials: 3 of our local stores recently had 100% points back on a ton of food and office items under $5.  We ran about $300 through and got $300 in points for items we'd use anyway... mac n' cheese, snacks, tape, envelopes, candies for Christmas gift baskets, and a whole lot more.  The rumor is that Kmart is going to be doing more of these in-store points back specials.  Also, pay attention to the coupons printed in-store at checkout.  This is where I find the 10 off 30 and points-back type of coupons.

Watch for online specials on SYW and this forum: A lot of guys loaded up on points a few months ago buying discounted furniture (shelving) that was discounted + huge (50-75%) points back.

A lot of it is about lying in the weeds, waiting to pounce... And on a lot of these programs the points don't expire for at least 14-30 days, which should be enough time for a Kmart item to roll around.  I see a lot at 20%+ off right now and 10% back in points.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

That's what was happening to me. I kept having to back in and out of payment over and over again and then it worked

People on SYW forums are complaining about it. Probably a technical error, should be fixed tomorrow or Thursday.

• Like 1

Does anyone else have trouble with using gift cards on purchases with coupons or surprise points?  Whenever I apply a gift card my coupons and/or surprise points are removed.  It is as if the gift card is counted against the threshold that needs to be spent to qualify for the coupon to work.  

• Like 2

Here's a SYW pro-tip: Go through all your daily KMart emails and click on the "Print" link for any coupon that you like. Save the codes and expiration dates somewhere (spreadsheet for example). I never realized this but all those coupons that kept on repeating each day (and I didn't use) actually have different codes. Just from last week I have 4 $10 back on $50 coupons and 3 15% off 1 toy coupons this way.

You're welcome.

PS: @MinifigW You can add this one to your video :)

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, doejaster said:

Does anyone else have trouble with using gift cards on purchases with coupons or surprise points?  Whenever I apply a gift card my coupons and/or surprise points are removed.  It is as if the gift card is counted against the threshold that needs to be spent to qualify for the coupon to work.  

3 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

That's what was happening to me. I kept having to back in and out of payment over and over again and then it worked

Alright. I have some additional info that may explain some of these issues.

SYW Coupons was hacked recently, corporate doesn't have a way to distinguish fake coupons from legit ones, so they programed all of the coupons for this week with error codes until they can get rid of the bogus ones or trace the source. People are reporting that coupons scanned in store (such as $10 back on $50) are returning the error code "wrong store", even if it was the right one. (Not confirmed by anyone official)

SYW is running a client sweep and deleting accounts that have not been active for a long time. This is effecting everything until the sweep has been completed and old accounts purged. (CONFIRMED by PS)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

Alright. I have some additional info that may explain some of these issues.

SYW Coupons was hacked recently, corporate doesn't have a way to distinguish fake coupons from legit ones, so they programed all of the coupons for this week with error codes until they can get rid of the bogus ones or trace the source. People are reporting that coupons scanned in store (such as $10 back on $50) are returning the error code "wrong store", even if it was the right one. (Not confirmed by anyone official)

SYW is running a client sweep and deleting accounts that have not been active for a long time. This is effecting everything until the sweep has been completed and old accounts purged. (CONFIRMED by PS)

So how about people who need to redeem points tomorrow as they are expiring? They cannot use coupons?

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

So how about people who need to redeem points tomorrow as they are expiring? They cannot use coupons?

Pretty much. I placed an order with surprise points and it got the points redemption pretty mangled up. My PS said that client sweeps can really screw up their software so I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter further errors.

Do keep in mind that SYW will reinstate expired points up to twice per year if you call and ask politely.

10 minutes ago, doejaster said:

So you are saying on a normal day you can use a gift card for the full amount of purchase and also use coupons?

Yes. Although I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as a "normal day" with SYW

Edited by MinifigW
  • Like 1