10255 - Assembly Square

Alpinemaps

37 minutes ago, Haay said:

170 GBP ... :startle: That's about €190 at current exchange rate. If the GBP - Euro exchange rate is the same early next year, I need to get me an Assembly Square from the UK! :P 

Yeah that is crazy. As it's 240€ in Germany and most likely will be 260€ over here. Almost a 70€ discount for us.

2 hours ago, Legojona said:

I was expecting them to take it into account, but perhaps they´re counting on import taxes in the future that will stop EU buyers from ordering in the UK.

I doubt they want import taxes, as they make in mainland EU and sell to the UK, so Import duties would put UK prices up, so they would sell less sets to UK consumers, hurting UK retail sales.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gregpj said:

I know it's Wikipedia, but go to...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_square

Then down to the urban planning section. As a mostly rectangle space, it is a square when talking about a public space where people can hang out.

All over the world these places are referred to squares regardless of physical dimensions. Hint, the origin is from a German word.

How to kill a joke with facts :-p

• Like 1

I think it looks fantastic.  I'm really pleased with this release.  Especially, all the little details.  I also think this will look great combined on a whole block.  DO has been my favorite so far (followed by PR); I'll wait to build this one, but it has much which reminds my of DO (including lots of variety and polish in the details).

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Up at SAH. TLG tax means 260 euros in Spain so I guess I´ll be getting it in the UK, if I do.

In Germany the set is called "Stadtleben" which means "city life" - would there have been a preview / leak in German language, there might have been a little less confusion about the set's layout before the official infos. In German you can just be so much more specific with your words (or mostly you even HAVE to, otherwise it might sound weird).

https://shop.lego.com/de-DE/Stadtleben-10255

Edited by Frank Brickowski

26 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Up at SAH. TLG tax means 260 euros in Spain so I guess I´ll be getting it in the UK, if I do.

Yup, €260 as well in The Netherlands. That definitely means I'll have to find someone in the UK to buy it for me there and mail it to me. For that price-difference it will be worth it!

Our British BP-colleagues here are going to score big time here!

Oh, and on the Dutch translated LEGO Shop at Home the name is "Gebouwenset" which literally translates to Buildings-set. :P  I rather like the German name for it! 

Edited by Haay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Haay said:

Yup, €260 as well in The Netherlands. That definitely means I'll have to find someone in the UK to buy it for me there and mail it to me. For that price-difference it will be worth it!

Our British BP-colleagues here are going to score big time here!

Same here.. I will get this from UK. The price difference is just to good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chillreign said:

Same here.. I will get this from UK. The price difference is just to good

Heck, at $210 each (compared to $280+7% tax here, i.e. $300 in total) I'm going to have 2 ordered in the UK and shipped to me by someone. I'm sure that shipping those boxes internationally costs less than $180. Any UK volunteers to set up a shipping deal for all of us?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

Heck, at $210 each (compared to $280+7% tax here, i.e. $300 in total) I'm going to have 2 ordered in the UK and shipped to me by someone. I'm sure that shipping those boxes internationally costs less than $180. Any UK volunteers to set up a shipping deal for all of us?

Ditto...........just saying

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

It's an interesting thought, but I think you'd have to buy multiples for it to be really worth it.

- $330 Canadian .. my tax rate is 13% ... total 372.90. 
- 170 pounds - $272 CDN. 

Seems like a good deal, but then I'll have to pay 13% tax at the door .. $307. Shipping on that big set by someone without a business account will probably run around $30-40 (Amazon UK used to ship me 2x42030 sets for about $10 but not any more). So $340 is perhaps the lowest I could get it for.

Unless the person getting it for you is going to give you the promo item AND the VIP points, 2x VIP and/or a promo is the better deal for me.

Don't forget when you import goods into the US, each state has it's own rules about collecting sales tax.... Not sure where you are, but you always want to be on the up and up right? ;) I know many states have the threshold around $250 US.

PS It's up on all the sites, you just have to search for 10255.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Assembly-Square-10255

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Assembly-Square-10255

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Assembly-Square-10255

8 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Don't forget when you import goods into the US, each state has it's own rules about collecting sales tax.... Not sure where you are, but you always want to be on the up and up right? ;) I know many states have the threshold around $250 US.

All I know is that I had 2xAROCS shipped to me from Amazon Germany half a year ago, $320 total value, arrived without issues, no import duties, no tax. The limit might be $500 in the US, not sure. I'm in OH.

So if the shipper gets to claim back 20% VAT (ergo 68GBP), keeps promos and VIP points (that would be quite the generous bonus for just collecting and shipping a package :) ), I pay for shipping (let's say $90 bucks), I'm out $510 for $600 worth of merchandise, but I miss $60 in VIP points (assuming I buy during double VIP) and promos. So yeah, if shipping is high cost (or the exchange rate creeps back up), buying local might be better.

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

All I know is that I had 2xAROCS shipped to me from Amazon Germany half a year ago, $320 total value, arrived without issues, no import duties, no tax. The limit might be $500 in the US, not sure. I'm in OH.

So if the shipper gets to claim back 20% VAT (ergo 68GBP), keeps promos and VIP points (that would be quite the generous bonus for just collecting and shipping a package :) ), I pay for shipping (let's say $90 bucks), I'm out $510 for $600 worth of merchandise, but I miss $60 in VIP points (assuming I buy during double VIP) and promos. So yeah, if shipping is high cost (or the exchange rate creeps back up), buying local might be better.

All of the Amazon stores in Europe will no longer ship LEGO to Canada (third party sellers still can). Are they still shipping to the US? I thought they closed that "loophole" (I have never been able to buy LEGO on Amazon.com or other US retailer websites).

Postage on a Big Ben (comparable price, probably comparable box size) is a bit less than 17 pounds from most eBay sellers... $27 CDN. IF the buyer sends the promo item, charges only the cost to ship then you'd save a few bucks for sure. Good luck getting them to share VIP points or any VAT refund. :)

As for your tax, you're supposed to pay... ;)  http://www.tax.ohio.gov/sales_and_use.aspx

You guys in the US are just so unlucky that USPS doesn't collect and remit on your behalf like Canada Post does for us.

9 minutes ago, gregpj said:

All of the Amazon stores in Europe will no longer ship LEGO to Canada (third party sellers still can). Are they still shipping to the US? I thought they closed that "loophole" (I have never been able to buy LEGO on Amazon.com or other US retailer websites).

Postage on a Big Ben (comparable price, probably comparable box size) is a bit less than 17 pounds from most eBay sellers... $27 CDN. IF the buyer sends the promo item, charges only the cost to ship then you'd save a few bucks for sure. Good luck getting them to share VIP points or any VAT refund. :)

As for your tax, you're supposed to pay... ;)  http://www.tax.ohio.gov/sales_and_use.aspx

You guys in the US are just so unlucky that USPS doesn't collect and remit on your behalf like Canada Post does for us.

Nope, no more shipping to US. I wasn't talking about a direct purchase anyways - I wanted to use the "someone buys it, packs it, ships it" route. If that costs $20 USD for a Big Ben, I think there is room for savings , even if you get only one shipped. $210+$20 shipping = $230, compared with $280 here (plus $28 in VIP plus a promo). Given that you typically spend money to use those VIP points, I'd rather have the $50 in hand :).

Just now, Phil B said:

Nope, no more shipping to US. I wasn't talking about a direct purchase anyways - I wanted to use the "someone buys it, packs it, ships it" route. If that costs $20 USD for a Big Ben, I think there is room for savings , even if you get only one shipped. $210+$20 shipping = $230, compared with $280 here (plus $28 in VIP plus a promo). Given that you typically spend money to use those VIP points, I'd rather have the $50 in hand :).

I agree, cash in hand is better ... but local tax kills the deal for me. It's very little cash in hand and 2x VIP and a decent promo item make the risk of shipping that big box overseas not worth it for a Canadian IMO.

However, the US-GBP exchange rate is even better right than CDN-GBP and a very trustworthy soul could have potentially end up with quite the stash of promos and VIP points.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TANV said:

Has anyone here been banned from LEGO Shop at Home? I'm curious how that happened.

Last year it was a badge of honors. This year, either everyone has wisened up, or TLG has let the banhammer rest. No word about a ban in at least 6 months.

hmm, I expected something more epic for the 10th anniversary set, especially for a price of $280

Honestly they should have saved the town hall for this release. This set just looks like a detective office style set, where they cram as many buildings/themes into one set. Just looks dumb when you squeeze and entire "Business" like a dentist office or a bakery into the space of a large walk in closet. These sets should stick with one or two themes tops.