10255 - Assembly Square

Alpinemaps

12 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I don't know, but with every new modular building released I find it harder to see the differences between all the models. For me it's like everything looks the same in a way. However, I'm not investing in this line anymore.

You are right.  This set is not "distinctive" enough n my opinion, but maybe sets like this sell better than "distinctive" sets like the Town Hall.

I don't really buy or build the modular sets but that won't stop me from throwing out my two cents.

Maybe the expectation from the start with the high piece count and the name "Assembly Square",perhaps people thought of more along the lines of a bigger open square area...maybe a big fountain with stadium-like seating and maybe a couple of buildings. I can see where the negativity might come in because of the way it looks compared to expectations. I wouldn't say it's wrong to feel bummed. The set itself does look cramped and maybe scale-wise seems like the series is shrinking.

I probably would have preferred to see this as 1 larger building with a pedestrian bridge that leads to a large park area. But that wouldn't really be true to form with the modular line.

I don't actually mind this set for what it is. In the pics where this is next to the other sets, I actually don't think it looks off. Maybe it's my bias that the modular line are by far the most beautiful Lego sets offered.

I also want that printed Lego box tile. Rad man.

14 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

You are right.  This set is not "distinctive" enough n my opinion, but maybe sets like this sell better than "distinctive" sets like the Town Hall.

While being an OK set as is, I don't really get the "Celebrate ten years of Modular Building" tag it comes with. How does the Assembly Square "celebrate" a decade of Modulars, apart from being the most expensive one?

19 minutes ago, marcandre said:

After watching that video it looks like a mash up of several old modulars. He even says as much in the beginning. 

Not what I was hoping for but I guess it's a cool set. 

That was my first thought...kind of.  The colors look like an homage and tribute to the other modulars.  I personally like it except the pink/purple awning and size.  It seems smaller than I expected, more like 1.5 modulars than the 2 or 2.5 I expected this to be.

OK so joking aside but is £170 the confirmed price for the UK?  How long before brexit was this thing priced?  Hasn't been at 1.4 since last November.

Lego finance team in U.K. must have properly hedged currency risk pre Brexit to allow for such a price differential in light of today's FX rate.

Personally I love it, I've been looking for an excuse to crack open some of my existing modulars and start building my town/street. Yes the price point is a little high and I think someone mentioned it's quite cunning of Lego as effectively they are forcing your hand to purchase two sets in comparison to recent modulars. On the flip side it's nice to see a bit of diversity within the range.

50 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

While being an OK set as is, I don't really get the "Celebrate ten years of Modular Building" tag it comes with. How does the Assembly Square "celebrate" a decade of Modulars, apart from being the most expensive one?

The fact its 1.5 modular base plates as oppose to the one.

45 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Right, they could have made it special and collectible.  LEGO does a great job at that sort of thing.  I was hoping for some sort of matching U-shaped building with a center fountain/flower type of setup.  

http://toysnbricks.com/10255-assembly-square-lego-modular-building-official-press-release-2017-january/

I am usually always the one who is wondering why the people are always not satisfied about a new LEGO set. But I think that with this one the opposite will be the case as I have seen in another forum where people were really pleased. For me it is a great set but nothing special - it looks like all three building have been already used somehow in another modular building - the one in the middle as Green Grocer set, the right one as Town Hall, the left one as Pet Shop?

Edited by mauro23