10255 - Assembly Square

Alpinemaps

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'd take a stab at £199.99 for the UK and €229.99 for most of Europe. It's huge risk buying a lot I think. Could this be the FIRST modular to retire? ;-)

My apologies, you got quite close. 170 GBP is a complete pi55 take though. Have they gone back to the DS exchange rate?

5 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

You'll have to buy four for the square. :)

Aww, I was in for three.

In any case, the GBP price means UK investors are going to be undercutting the rest for years on this one, weak currency or not. TH was 150 pounds, for heaven´s sake.

I agree with some other posts that I was expecting a bit more when it was rumored to be 4000 pieces and named "Assembly Square".  In my head I was thinking along the lines of 10184 Town Plan with the buildings on 3 sides with park in the middle with streets lining the buildings.  I was also envisioning 64x64 studs, however.  32x48 is just too cramped for this set.  *If* I buy 2 of these to enlarge that is the way I will go with it.  I could see that fountain set that was a giveaway as a nice set to put in the middle of the "square" that does not currently exist.

Basically feel the same as many others. I like a lot of the elements, design techniques, details, printed pieces, etc. Put altogether though it just doesn't "pop" for me the way I had hoped for that price point. Then again, the PPP ratio is quite good. 

Some other parts are funny - I think using a green baseplate as a nod to one of the past modulars is stretching it a bit.

For completionist purposes I will certainly get one regardless.

10 minutes ago, KShine said:

I am a bit surprised by all the negative opinions on this one - I really like it (looks like a fun set).

I am as well. I think our expectations were for a larger, more grand set or something nearly palatial.  This set is more self-referential than anything else but is rather quirky and has a charm to it.

I quite like this set. Also seeing all of the modulars in the designer video makes me want to start collecting then all!

Lego sure know how to get people stirred up, putting so called "cryptic images" showing 3 Modulars on new assembly square box. However as other people have stated LEGO only put 3 Modulars on all previous modular boxes, the new set plus the 2 previous modulars. I aactually just went through all previous modular boxes to confirm lol

10182 Cafe Corner - None

10190 Market Street - None

10185 Green Grocer - CC & MS

10197 Fire Brigade - CC & GG

10211 Grand Emporium - GG & FB

10218 Pet Shop - FB & GE

10224 Town Hall - GE & PS

10232 Palace Cinema - PS & TH

10243 Parisian Restaurant - TH & PC

10246 Detective's Office - PC & PR

10251 Brick Bank - PR & DO

10255 Assembly Square - DO & BB

Pet shop / palace cinema arent going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

It's a nice enough modular, but not surprisingly I'd say it's overpriced by about $30-40. It's 1.5 modulars. I really wish TLG would just stop with the advertising rhetoric when describing their recent releases.  It has some cool details, but it isn't really impressive overall, in my opinion. It doesn't appear to be any type of celebration of 10 years other than it's the most expensive.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

It's a nice enough modular, but not surprisingly I'd say it's overpriced by about $30-40. It's 1.5 modulars. I really wish TLG would just stop with the advertising rhetoric when describing their recent releases.  It has some cool details, but it isn't really impressive overall, in my opinion. It doesn't appear to be any type of celebration of 10 years other than it's the most expensive.  

As to Lego, it is time to fetch extra money by tagging the set as some sort of celebration. And it is true, it is ten year anniversary. 

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Right. While it is not particularly attractive, it has a fun look and that sells. Look at the Pet Shop. Not flashy but it sells.

How much does it really sell because it is "Pet Shop"? or it sells due to hoarders and more hoarders?

14 hours ago, Phil B said:
Nope, it is technically (and to be specific, mathematically) a rectangle.

I know it's Wikipedia, but go to...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_square

Then down to the urban planning section. As mostly rectangular, it is a square when talking about a public space where people can hang out.

All over the world these places are referred to as squares regardless of physical dimensions. Hint, the origin is from a German word.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Val-E said:

My apologies, you got quite close. 170 GBP is a complete pi55 take though. Have they gone back to the DS exchange rate?

170 GBP ... :startle: That's about €190 at current exchange rate. If the GBP - Euro exchange rate is the same early next year, I need to get me an Assembly Square from the UK! :P 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Haay said:

170 GBP ... :startle: That's about €190 at current exchange rate. If the GBP - Euro exchange rate is the same early next year, I need to get me an Assembly Square from the UK! :P 

I was expecting them to take it into account, but perhaps they´re counting on import taxes in the future that will stop EU buyers from ordering in the UK.