LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, brickolodon said:

Nothing fancy but better than nothing...

Just curious at this point, do you takes pics and then buy up a bunch, or just walk away empty handed?
I find myself buying a couple just to make the drive somewhat worthwhile. Never know, a day might come and you think, "I wish I had one more slingshot."

• Like 2

I'm lucky enough to live in Arizona where there are many 99 Cent stores. I've visited about 15 separate stores (a handful of them 4 or 5 times) in the past two weeks (lots of work travel around the state). I've found everything and bought two copies of each for personal builds and a few extra BTTF, JW and Scooby... And it has totally ruined me for paying "real" prices for Lego.

I was in a Lego store yesterday and bought the Valentine's picnic. For $10. It felt like highway robbery. I've gotten so used to shelling out $300 for exclusives (like so many others, I have closets full of them) that I'd forgotten how much money that really is. Thanks for the reality check, 99 Cents Only.

And for the party supplies, laundry detergent, Captain Crunch, lawn gnome and sack of oranges.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

I'm lucky enough to live in Arizona where there are many 99 Cent stores. I've visited about 15 separate stores (a handful of them 4 or 5 times) in the past two weeks (lots of work travel around the state). I've found everything and bought two copies of each for personal builds and a few extra BTTF, JW and Scooby... And it has totally ruined me for paying "real" prices for Lego.

I was in a Lego store yesterday and bought the Valentine's picnic. For $10. It felt like highway robbery. I've gotten so used to shelling out $300 for exclusives (like so many others, I have closets full of them) that I'd forgotten how much money that really is. Thanks for the reality check, 99 Cents Only.

And for the party supplies, laundry detergent, Captain Crunch, lawn gnome and sack of oranges.

Seriously, it's been quite the marketing for their stores. I never would've been in there otherwise and I'm seeing a bunch of name brand stuff. Might be a new favorite.
And like you said, I'm about to order that Assembly Square tomorrow, $279.99 with 8 minifigures. That same $ would buy 560 minifigures in team packs. :P

• Like 4

Just curious at this point, do you takes pics and then buy up a bunch, or just walk away empty handed?
I find myself buying a couple just to make the drive somewhat worthwhile. Never know, a day might come and you think, "I wish I had one more slingshot."

At this point, I'm starting to buy up fun packs with as much restraint as possible....but then I think....50 to 60 pieces here for 99 cents a pack with a minifigure to boot. Moc pieces and parting out alone just have me wanting more. Like others have said....I think we'll be wishing we bought more not less when this is all said and done. Just my 2 cents.
  • Like 5

Hear hear. I'm now going to be a regular at the 99 after seeing some of their incredible deals. The genius of it is that they're constantly turning over their inventory so you never know what's going to pop up next. 25 cent Odwalla bars, 49 cent cartons of Dreyer's frozen custard, Boulder brand chips for a buck... 99 4 life!  

It's going to be hard to go back to 50% off Lego at Kmart.

Edited by pete411
  • Like 2

One other thing I haven't heard anyone else comment on is this: there are plenty of items at the 99 Cent Only store that cost more than 99 cents. They have literally hundreds of things for sale for $1.99, $2.99, $4.99 etc. Yes, the majority are 99 cents but on every aisle there are exceptions.

The decision-makers could easily have priced these twice as high as they did ($1.99 each) and sold them all. I don't think they had any idea what to do with all of them or whether they'd be sitting on them for two years or two weeks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

One other thing I haven't heard anyone else comment on is this: there are plenty of items at the 99 Cent Only store that cost more than 99 cents. They have literally hundreds of things for sale for $1.99, $2.99, $4.99 etc. Yes, the majority are 99 cents but on every aisle there are exceptions.

The decision-makers could easily have priced these twice as high as they did ($1.99 each) and sold them all. I don't think they had any idea what to do with all of them or whether they'd be sitting on them for two years or two weeks.

I noticed that too. They had Good Dinosaur dino toys for $9.99 that originally retailed for I believe $19.99. If they knew what they had, they could have easily charged $2-3.99 for the team and level packs and they would have still sold well. Lucky for us, they didn't want to mess around and priced them to fly off the shelves. I saw a bunch of older folks buying for grandkids and families snap up one of each they could find. I doubt that any of them actually play Dimensions so I'm thinking that there will be quite a bit of disappointment when the kids open up the packs to find that instructions are not included. I was thinking that this might turn off some folks to the brand.

Edited by pete411

56 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

Yup. Pretty sure they had very little idea of the difference between team/level and fun packs. That's why the signs in the store only refer to fun packs (Valued at up to $14.99 elsewhere!). No executive who knew anything about LEGO would agree to sell packs with two licensed figures for a buck per pack. 

1 hour ago, mfortunek said:

Yeah, and what they also have is the random "Clearance" area where stuff is 25 cents.  If Bart hits that area, I'll definitely have a slingshot army.

• Like 2

I'm lucky enough to live in Arizona where there are many 99 Cent stores. I've visited about 15 separate stores (a handful of them 4 or 5 times) in the past two weeks (lots of work travel around the state). I've found everything and bought two copies of each for personal builds and a few extra BTTF, JW and Scooby... And it has totally ruined me for paying "real" prices for Lego. I was in a Lego store yesterday and bought the Valentine's picnic. For $10. It felt like highway robbery. I've gotten so used to shelling out $300 for exclusives (like so many others, I have closets full of them) that I'd forgotten how much money that really is. Thanks for the reality check, 99 Cents Only.

..i got Zebra pens also. Regular price 3.50-3.99

7d5c5dce5bcb069d4a2155866c4553d5.jpg

• Like 1

So here's another theory I heard today from some random dude looking through the packs on the rack.  Take it for what it's worth, probably nothing though lol

"The owner of Frank and Son was offered all the packs through a vendor.  Frank and Son did not have the capital to purchase all the packs so the vendor went directly to the 99 cent store."

Fake news?

Edited by LegoBro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, legodelorean said:

How can a guy buy 300 boxes if there is a limit of 9?  Most of the managers I've dealt with seem to be pretty strict and adhere to the limit.

The limit was lifted a couple of days ago.  Stock in most stores is dwindling, and this time, it feels like the last gasp. Buy what you can! Multiple managers have said they are getting no more.