10252 - Volkswagen Beetle

JeffProbst

Just curious, since I wasn't here (on Brickpicker) yet this time one year ago, but what there as much interest garnered in the (then) new Ferrari F40 as there is now in the new Volkswagen Beetle? 

If I remember correctly when the Ferrari F40 was released it didn't get sold out at release. So why should this Beetle set sell out at release?

Looking on the Ferrari thread, it was sold out online in the first 48 hours. Didn't see when it came back though...

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

There´s a more serious flaw than that. The surf board is in Aussie national colours yet the steering wheel on the car is LHD when it should be RHD and the license plate is New South Wales. Ok, this is getting as pedantic as MF satellite dish dimensions but, while I am on the subject, the wheel hubs should be full length with whitewall tyres. Now where´s Wally?

Funny you should mention that.  The designer video shows Aussie, UK, German, and California plates.  So I'm guessing you can do a LHD or RHD depending on your tastes.  (Since this is a Cali Beetle, it's going to be a LHD with Cali plates).

47 minutes ago, gregpj said:

It was too ugly to sell out, but plenty tried to flip 'em in TRU parking lots anyways.

That was only after my frat had a lot to drink on Saturday night.  But it was the dorm parking lot, and not TRU.

• Is it 100% accurate? No. 
  • Does it look cool while resembling the subject matter quite well? Yes.

So, guys, which one is the more important factor and will determine investment performance for a construction toy

Healthy criticism is good, but lately I feel that a non-negligible amount of people are talking about very high standard sets like they were on the same level as Hoth.

• Like 4

I believe that much of the criticism comes from LEGO continuing to attempt to make sets that are less LEGOlike than they should be.

LEGO bricks have studs, and do not generally have seamless smooth curves. When they try too hard to look like something that they are not, the limitations of the medium (the LEGO brick) will inevitably show.

Certain imperfect details on a more traditional LEGOlike set would likely go unnoticed (since it is clearly meant to convey something, rather than to show it in precise detail). But when they go too far, and too much of a set looks perfect, those flaws stand out, and look awful.

LEGO needs to let LEGO be LEGO.

• Like 2

My family had both the van & beetle for most of my life growing up, and I can quite easily say this is beyond beautiful well as incredibly accurate to the car while surprisingly still LEGO. Although the 2008 model might be considered a collector's item, to be honest that one was a poor model looking like somebody took a sandblaster to it. Anywho, only thing that could make this new one better would be a "Herbie" makeover.

• Like 6

Just now, TheOrcKing said:

My family had both the van & beetle while growing up, and I can quite easily say this is beyond beautiful well as incredibly accurate to the car while surprisingly still LEGO. Although the 2008 model might be considered a collector's item, to be honest that one was a poor model looking like somebody took a sandblaster to it. Anywho, only thing that could make this new one better would be a "Herbie" makeover.

A colleague of mine called the original Beetle "8 bit Nintendo"

• Like 3

Can't wait to see the modifications people are going to make.  I'm sure we'll get some different colors.  I already want it two-tone.  I also want to see it turned into Herbie.

And yes, I know some of you hate Herbie, but oh well.  Old school Disney fan, so I want to see Herbie.

• Like 3