10252 - Volkswagen Beetle

JeffProbst

8 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

There is a VW logo, it's under the bonnet for the radiator cap. It's in the video. :) 

There are TWO printed logo pieces (1 stud round tiles) included. One sits on top of the bonnet, and the other one under the hood "as the cap on the gas tank" as the designer said in the video. 

1 minute ago, Haay said:

There are TWO printed logo pieces (1 stud round tiles) included. One sits on top of the bonnet, and the other one under the hood "as the cap on the gas tank" as the designer said in the video. 

Oh, "Petrol" tank :P 
I had to watch the video without sound as I'm at work.

Of course, it's air cooled!! Doh!!! :)

22 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

I think you had one too many Sangrias.  

Seems like a 3 in 1 creator set you can  easily convert into a Citroen 2CV!

Good to see the logos are there as printed  parts - I was expecting stickers.

Same designer as the F40 and seems not to have been to the hairdresser´s since that video - maybe fits with the hippy Beetle image.

Edited by Val-E

What I've always wanted to know: At 0:40 in the designer video you can see that on the door they used pieces of 2 + 2 + 3 studs wide on the second row from the bottom. Why did they not use one 4-stud wide piece instead of the 2 2-stud pieces? Every time they use more pieces than necessary I wonder why such a decision was made.

13 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

What I've always wanted to know: At 0:40 in the designer video you can see that on the door they used pieces of 2 + 2 + 3 studs wide on the second row from the bottom. Why did they not use one 4-stud wide piece instead of the 2 2-stud pieces? Every time they use more pieces than necessary I wonder why such a decision was made.

Many believe that it is only done to boost the piece count (which to many buyers, will justify paying a higher price).

• Like 3

Official press release via Brickset:

10252 Volkswagen Beetle, 1,167 pieces.
US $99.99 – CA $129.99 – DE 89.99€ – UK £69.99 – DK 799.00 DKK
Available July 14 for VIPs, August 1st everyone else

Head for the beach with the VW Beetle!

Celebrate the iconic VW Beetle with this awesome LEGO® Creator Expert reproduction. This detailed model comprises a number of special features and elements that help recreate the distinctive Beetle characteristics, including an azure-blue color scheme, curved fenders, flat windshield, VW logo, and an authentic 4-cylinder air-cooled engine and fuel tank. The accessible interior features beige-colored, forward-tilting seats, dashboard and steering wheel, and the roof-mounted surfboard and a cooler box can be removed. This model has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia.

• 1960s VW Beetle with surfer theme features an array of brick-built details including an azure-blue color scheme, curved fenders, white rims with distinctive hubcaps, round headlights, wing-mounted turn signals and opening hood, trunk and doors.
  • Use the included stickers to choose 1 of 4 license plates.
  • Remove the cooler box and surfboard from the roof rails.
  • Tilt the rear seat forward to access the storage space with fabric beach towel.
  • Lift the hood to access the spare tire and fuel tank.
  • Open the trunk to reveal the authentic, 4-cylinder air-cooled engine.
  • Open the doors or remove the roof section to access the detailed beige-colored interior with dashboard, steering wheel and tiltable front and back seats.
  • Special elements include a round tile with printed VW logo, arched fender elements and an updated windshield design.
  • VW Beetle including surfboard and cooler measures over 11” (15cm) high, 10” (29cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide

Additional images can be seen on the set details page.

Actually they use some algorithms to balance the SKUs with the piece counts to optimize the production costs.  For example, lets say that the build requires 1x2's in other places.  But in the whole model, it only needs a 1x4 once.  It's cheaper for them to change the 1x4 to 2 1x2's because they then have one less different inventory piece to include (one less tub of parts feeding into the packing machines, one less chance of a machine error, etc.).  The packing is all automated, but when you are boxing 20 million sets a year, those fractional savings add up.

I would bet someone reviews the output to make sure the swaps are ok. You can't always replace a 1x4 with 2 1x2s.

Either way, I always assumed it was a little from column A (piece count) and from column B (reducing the number of brick types). In a few sets I've built it doesn't always make perfect sense with the brick distribution.

This is great.  Much better from the previous version which was great for when it came out but looks really dated now.  Gotta move something else out now, right?  I mean, this would make 4 Creator Expert cars on the market at the same time.  Like the car, love the color.  Can't wait to see what comes out next from this line.  Would love to see a classic Shelby Cobra Mustang be made.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

This is great.  Much better from the previous version which was great for when it came out but looks really dated now.  Gotta move something else out now, right?  I mean, this would make 4 Creator Expert cars on the market at the same time.  Like the car, love the color.  Can't wait to see what comes out next from this line.  Would love to see a classic Shelby Cobra Mustang be made.

I'm a pickup truck fan myself. Would like to see a old ford f100 in jet black.

2 hours ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Citroen, What is that?.........Grand Marnier with a twist of Lemon..............No pun intended.

The third member of the holy trinity of compact European cars from the 1950´s. No doubt they will get round to doing one as well.

Of this series, I only like the T1, the others all look like Tonka toys.

" over 11” (15cm) high, 10” (29cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide "

Those measurements are a complete mess

I agree with people saying it looks like a Ciroen 2CV, especially the back. Still, in 6-7 years when they do the 3rd version, maybe they'll nail it. Certainly better than the previous brick built version. If we're going back and reworking brick built sets with too many corners, can i put in a request for a revamped Taj Mahal, with the central dome improved?

9 minutes ago, Seal Cutter said:

" over 11” (15cm) high, 10” (29cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide "

Those measurements are a complete mess

I agree with people saying it looks like a Ciroen 2CV, especially the back. Still, in 6-7 years when they do the 3rd version, maybe they'll nail it. Certainly better than the previous brick built version. If we're going back and reworking brick built sets with too many corners, can i put in a request for a revamped Taj Mahal, with the central dome improved?

They just messed up the first number..

6" (15cm) high, 10" (29cm) long and 4" (12 cm) wide

15 minutes ago, Nawoo said:

Nice set, terrible investment

gonna be like the T1

Holy hell, the pictures have been available for barely 12 hours and we're lamenting it's poor investment potential? Another set to carry us off into correction-land.

** edit... oops, looked too quickly... I see the numbers are way off.. 15cm = 5.9", 29cm = 11.4" and 12cm = 4.7" .. Who cares though, it looks great! :) **

• Like 1