What did you do today?

15 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Please people, get the shot.

There is no way I will be injecting my three young children with an experimental technology on a virus with a 99.4% survival rate without long term, proper testing. Maybe you would take that risk, but I will not. 

Once some long term studies have been competed I will consider the vaccine.

3 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

There is no way I will be injecting my three young children with an experimental technology on a virus with a 99.4% survival rate without long term, proper testing. Maybe you would take that risk, but I will not. 

Children are not eligible. 

1 hour ago, dennugsmello said:

This is correct. Also, from a Biology grad a long, long, long time ago. 

Let me ask you Ed, as a microbiologist. You stress the importance of a worldwide vaccination effort, which I don't disagree with. However, is it prudent to rush standardized drug trial protocols on a disease with a 99.4 survival rate? Especially a treatment incorporating brand new technology, untested on human beings? 

I'm not trying to be combative with you all. I'm just surprised at how quick everyone is to dismiss the potential pitfalls of experimental technology. 

well this isn't happening in a vacuum.

altho age and obesity are the biggest risk factors, that covers almost 2/3 of the US population...is risking 2/3 acceptable?

Also the economic impact...yes if there was no economic impact, I might wait myself..but given the real life concerns for the vulnerable people in my life and the pressure to reach herd immunity for the sake of the economy...a general acceptance of some risk is expected.

Now I have some skepticism about "the numbers" like many.  I do believe that the numbers are not black and white..meaning infection is a range, not a bright line...so I believe what's happening is that interpretations are done to favor an outcome to meet some bureaucrat's agenda or a "public health official" agenda. But that doesn't mean it's all wrong...just that maybe about 15-30% of the data is actually uncertainty and therefore put in the bucket that promotes whosever agenda.  That's why the numbers seem to always support the prevalent thinking.

Also this isn't just any experiment...already there are 100s of millions vaccinated worldwide almost all ethnicities and backgrounds...I would wager that's the best damn test size ever. It's pretty much AS safe as ANY vaccine just based on the pure numbers of "test subjects".  Now I get the concern over "long-term effects" That is where one has to trust the microbiologists who are CURRENT in the science. Does the vaccine have a toxicokinetic action that may have potential long-term side effects? Not every drug has the capability to have a long term effect (we're talking biologically significant..not social or behavior). It goes into the arm muscle tissue (not the blood or the lymphatic) and the mRNA teaches muscle cells to fabricate the spike protein so one's immune system can have practice recognizing it and therefore be "prepared" for the real thing. To me, as a practicing toxicologist with some rudimentary understanding of toxicokinetics , that seems relatively localized w/ a limited range and duration of effects. 

Now if one doesn't trust something new just because it's new and refuse to learn more about the actual risks...then there's no point in further discussion.  Let's risk a variant that the vaccine does not work against and risk the world shutting down again and risk facing that fallout which is going to be oh that much worse than 2020.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I went to the beach. The masks outdoors is just overkill in my mind, but I have had 2 doses of Moderna onboard for 2 months now. Mask compliance on the Boardwalk was around 98% which was shocking and even those not wearing them properly had them. Last summer when things were worse mask compliance was around 50% at best. Amazing how you can change human behavior. 

Look at that beautiful clean Atlantic Ocean ;)  

9EFE2880-E1E9-4386-8AD5-3061E92F678E.jpeg

7B3D2C4D-BDAD-470A-BBEC-734066190D69.jpeg

All beaches up the East Coast I went to had no masks, except for snorkels.

52 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

based on the number of unread posts, I thought someone did someone else's wife and got caught in the act.. #disappointed 

I was going to post that I went to Costco and bought several 32oz bags of potato chips @ $4 a bag but I decided not to change the mood of this thread :drag:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I was going to post that I went to Costco and bought several 32oz bags of potato chips @ $4 a bag but I decided not to change the mood of this thread :drag:

seriously have you guys kept tabs on the price of the giant Doritos bag at Costco?

The "sale" price of $7 is actually the regular price , I've noted that they jack up the regular price a month before the sale.   so folks jump at the $7.  Eventually they just remove the Sale sign but not change the price. Then they do it again a month or so later. It ain't right. 

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

seriously have you guys kept tabs on the price of the giant Doritos bag at Costco?

The "sale" price of $7 is actually the regular price , I've noted that they jack up the regular price a month before the sale.   so folks jump at the $7.  Eventually they just remove the Sale sign but not change the price. Then they do it again a month or so later. It ain't right. 

It depends on Costco locations.  Unless specifically mentioned on the ads, each store has some latitude on setting up the price.  AFAIK Doritos are less than $7 when on sale.  Or maybe your city has a special high tax for junk food :D

3 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

covid is treatable, especially if detected early.  The covid vaccine is experimental.  long term side effects are unknown.

The long-term side effects of Covid-19 *infection* are also mostly unknown at this point, but can be severe, and that's if it doesn't kill you, something the FDA-emergency approved vaccines almost certainly will not do - so this is not a good argument for delaying vaccination.

You want the economy back? This is how we get the economy back.

6b7280cd212bc9d7b6a64eef8c698be1

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Did you get those Kettle Krinkle cut himalayan salt ones? I like those alright, but I think I prefer the Cape Cod kettle chips, the krinkles are (dare I say it?) too crunchy.

I spent my whole day (5am to 8pm) manning the polls again for a local election, a whopping 52 people voted in the precinct. I should probably head to bed.

Just now, keymomachine said:

Did you get those Kettle Krinkle cut himalayan salt ones? I like those alright, but I think I prefer the Cape Cod kettle chips, the krinkles are (dare I say it?) too crunchy.

I spent my whole day (5am to 8pm) manning the polls again for a local election, a whopping 52 people voted in the precinct. I should probably head to bed.

I avoid the Low Fat Cape Cod chips.  Those make me gassy.

I love the Kettle  Krinkle cut. The crunchier the better.  Also Himalayan salt is supposed to be good for you :D

• Like 1

did someone say chips?  best chip in all of US of A!

https://www.foxfamilychips.com/#/ 

Random thought, did anyone else add chips into their sandwich and then press it closed to create the perfect childhood lunch?!? We used to do this all the time as kids. 

We also loved cucumber sandwiches.  Two pieces of toast, fresh sliced cukes with some S&P. mmmmhmmm.  

Damn, now Im ready for lunch and its only 8am!

image.png

35 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

did someone say chips?  best chip in all of US of A!

https://www.foxfamilychips.com/#/ 

Random thought, did anyone else add chips into their sandwich and then press it closed to create the perfect childhood lunch?!? We used to do this all the time as kids. 

We also loved cucumber sandwiches.  Two pieces of toast, fresh sliced cukes with some S&P. mmmmhmmm.  

Damn, now Im ready for lunch and its only 8am!

image.png

First time having a Chicago Dog at a Cubs game a couple years ago, they sprinkled chips on top. It was excellent!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Can you tell me where the 99.4% survival rate figure came from?

11 hours ago, keymomachine said:

The long-term side effects of Covid-19 *infection* are also mostly unknown at this point, but can be severe, and that's if it doesn't kill you, something the FDA-emergency approved vaccines almost certainly will not do - so this is not a good argument for delaying vaccination.

For the record, the quote you're attributing to me was NOT me. spacefan said that, not me. I believe the exact opposite, and agree with you.

Edited by mudcatsfan

11 hours ago, keymomachine said:

Not to derail the chip conversation with more COVID ramblings, but just wanted to give a quick update on the J&J single shot I got yesterday. Walgreens had their act together, and I was in and out in under 30 min. Felt fine all day yesterday, but had a pretty rough night…chills, headache, and some very weird dreams. I feel a combination of jet lag and a hangover this morning. Still better than my COVID experience a few months ago…that was kinda scary. And I completely agree with keymomachine…we don't have any idea what the long term effects of COVID are (and by the way, I still have zero sense of taste or smell). I'm grateful we have a vaccine this quickly, and would encourage everyone to get it when available, even if it seems like a leap of faith to you. Humanity doesn't have the luxury of a "wait and see" approach with this virus. Let's get it under control, minimize potential variants, and get on with life. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Can you tell me where the 99.4% survival rate figure came from?

It's a meme created, and spread, by people who want to believe that this thing hasn't killed millions of people around the world.

Johns Hopkns Numbers: 
Global Cases: 132,567,503 |||| Global Deaths: 2,876,350  = 97.8% survival rate

Worldometers:
Global Cases: 133,197,043 |||| Global Deaths:  2,889,730 = = 97.8% survival rate

Some conspiracy theorists believe hospitals have intentionally falsified numbers in order to make things look worse than they are. 

One thing is for sure, based on the USA numbers provided by the CDC, your risk spikes greatly after age 50

image.thumb.png.54e84fcee444a8fcf636c7836c18bce7.png

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

It's a meme created, and spread, by people who want to believe that this thing hasn't killed millions of people around the world.

Johns Hopkns Numbers: 
Global Cases: 132,567,503 |||| Global Deaths: 2,876,350  = 97.8% survival rate

Worldometers:
Global Cases: 133,197,043 |||| Global Deaths:  2,889,730 = = 97.8% survival rate

Is it wrong to believe some of the reports that anyone tested gets added to the number of cases and many deaths can be attributed to other causes so hospitals/clinics can receive gov't subsidies?

21 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Is it wrong to believe some of the reports that anyone tested gets added to the number of cases and many deaths can be attributed to other causes so hospitals/clinics can receive gov't subsidies?

It's as likely as local, state, and federal levels adjusting the numbers downward, or upward, in order to spread their specific agenda.

I think if every country had the mass testing, and healthcare capabilities, as the USA... that you'd find that there have been both many more cases and many more deaths. The 2% overall death rate seems reasonable.

But I believe the exact numbers about as much as I believe that China, the epicenter, has only their reported 90,341 total cases and 4,636 total deaths. 

All we can go by is the collected data, and the "excess deaths" total for the pandemic was wildly over the upper limit:

image.thumb.png.49d0c6cd28f4205a82cb5492b282f2f0.png

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 4

Even within US, every state is reporting their number using different criteria, so I can't imagine how useful the number really is in a global scope. Would take a large grain of salt for any statistics, especially the ones seem overly precise. 

But regardless how accurate the reporting is, by now, everyone should at least admit this is a highly contagious disease that affects hundreds of milliosn and kills people in magnitude of millions. This is enough for me to make my decisions.

There is also long-term damage even if COVID is cured. The permanent/semi-permanent loss of taste or shift in taste is common enough that some food manufacturers have started programs to retrain people's sensory. So when you talk about long-term impact, it's not just the vaccine.

I'm not with medical/bio background, so don't pick on definition/vocab.