Brickpicker Raffle Fundraiser for a Great Cause!!

Ed Mack

46 minutes ago, the_dodger said:

Hi!

I have been a passive reader for over a year now and think it is time to contribute my part - my only problem is that rallyup is not accepting my card (authorization error)....

btw:  with the tickets ist will be like with Lego sets: buy the last day before retiring

I've been working in the credit card industry for a very long time. The programs perform a check upon the card number before attempting to authorize. If the digits do not pass the check, it will not allow you to proceed to the authorization step. If the card is expired, it will typically not allow you to proceed. Basically, the number input is incorrect. If the card will not authorize, and the funds are available, there could be a variety of reasons, The CVV code was input wrong, the address information did not match, or the issuing bank decided that the activity was potentially fraudulent.

I'd suggest verifying the information that you are inputting is correct, the card number should have 16 digits, the expiration date should be in 2016 or later, and the CVV should be 3 digits.

• Like 2

Dang it Ed. Now you're just benefiting the procrastinators. :-)

Nah, it's to make people circle back around and dive in again if they've already done so and thought they were done. The counter's an interesting twist. Now everyone will know how many participants in each of the new options.

The counter will be removed.

Guest brickcrazyhouse
On 1/11/2016 at 11:28 PM, Mos_Eisley said:

Alright, I'm selling likes!

I've already bought some raffle tickets, but just for fun, for every "like" this post gets from members who joined before the time of this posting, I'll spend an equal amount on more tickets, up to $250.  If it gets beyond that, I'll figure out how much more I'll spend.

Let's set a like record!

>cough<see page 10 >cough<

14 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Since I said beforehand I would get one ticket for every prize-lot that I like, I'll just have to pull out my credit-card again tonight when I'm back home again to buy additional tickets. :D 

In the mean time, my post about the raffle in the Lego Community on Google+ has already gotten 20 +1s and I hope at least a few of those 'likes' have also taken action and bought at least one ticket. 

• Like 2

Ed,

I have been a member of brickpicker for a few months shy of two years, and the work you and Jeff have put into making this a thriving community has meant a lot to me.  I am much more of a collector than a reseller, but Brickpicker means just as much to me as the rest because it helps me afford my passion.  My love for LEGO was rekindled when I first watched the movie when it came out in early 2014.  That same night I found myself driving to Toys R Us to impulsively buy whatever suited my fancy, and I ended up with quite a stack of LEGO Movie and Star Wars sets.  I quickly realized when the total came up on the cash register that LEGO collecting would not be sustainable if I didn't buy smart. So later that night, I found myself scouring the web about finding discount sets and clearance sets, and my search brought me here.  I have been a member ever since, and while I am not a very visible member, I am on this website almost every single day reading the good word.  Because of Brickpicker, I have been able to indulge my hobby as economically as dumping money into plastic bricks can be.

What I am trying to say with all of this is that I have bought what tickets I can for now, and will be buying more when the next pay day rolls around.  I wish you the best of luck, and know what it means to feel comfortable where your children are.  Places that allow children to flourish are few and far between, and should be cherished.

If you manage to work out something with exciter to where he is willing to let you raffle his walmart clearance time machine, my next paycheck is going into nothing but tickets.

Geno

• Like 2

People love status symbols, even if they're meaningless. I guarantee people will up their contributions if you make tiered "Giving Back" badges. Bronze if you donate X, Silver if you donate Y, Gold if you donate Z, and something extra special for the very highest donations. Maybe gold wreathed in flames (trans-orange Lego flames, of course).

28 minutes ago, johnwray said:

People love status symbols, even if they're meaningless. I guarantee people will up their contributions if you make tiered "Giving Back" badges. Bronze if you donate X, Silver if you donate Y, Gold if you donate Z, and something extra special for the very highest donations. Maybe gold wreathed in flames (trans-orange Lego flames, of course).

If they did that, I'd ask to have the badge removed from mine. Hell, I've been thinking of doing so already. Maybe I'm just contrarian.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure adding new sets will change much. You may see more donations from those who have already given but I wouldn't expect it to motivate many who have not already donated. 

I think the reason is that the majority of people on a site like this are going to be fairly smart with their money, so lotteries might not be the most appealing. Given that, I think you're just seeing the ratio of those who give vs. those who don't. And it doesn't matter what set is available, that ratio won't change significantly.

Unfortunately to get donations from those who aren't givers by nature you may need to offer something guaranteed in return. Perhaps access to a special section of the website as other have mentioned, but the unfortunate part of that is you're essentially extracting money from the site (via lost traffic) to make the donation. So you're giving and not the other way around.

That said...

I'm not sure how much time remains before the school's deadline but if there are a few months one crazy thought I had was producing a ~200-300 piece MOC of some sort, perhaps a model of the St.Paul school along the line of the architecture series, packaged like a LEGO set (obviously not using any trademarks without permission). Perhaps host a competition on this site for users to submit designs and then the community could vote on the best (perhaps the winner gets a $500 prize if the set is produced). After a design is chosen allow users to submit graphics for the box and again have the community vote (perhaps the winner gets a $300 prize if the set is produced).

Hopefully the small pieces in an architecture type set could be bought in bulk relatively inexpensively and with a printed box and instructions the cost per unit could be kept under ~$20 and the full set sold for $49 + shipping with all proceeds going to this charity. Also, make it clear only a fixed number of these sets will ever be produced (say 3000) and take preorders. The preorders confirm if the set will be produced or not.

Biggest challenge with that idea would obviously be the time and resources needed to put together and ship 3K units like this and keeping cost down. But if a solution to that was found an "exclusive" set like this might motivate an audience like you have on this site. I know I would buy one and display it proudly. If the design is good I may even buy a second to resell for $150 in 3 years :P

Hi Ed,

Just added my support by buying a ticket. Good luck with saving the school! 

I have to be honest that I'm not a keen supporter of religious education but for the children school is above all a place to learn and have fun with their friends. That is what counts and I really hope that your son will be able to go back to his school after the summer.

Hej då from Sweden!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gbg108 said:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure adding new sets will change much. You may see more donations from those who have already given but I wouldn't expect it to motivate many who have not already donated. 

I think the reason is that the majority of people on a site like this are going to be fairly smart with their money, so lotteries might not be the most appealing. Given that, I think you're just seeing the ratio of those who give vs. those who don't. And it doesn't matter what set is available, that ratio won't change significantly.

Unfortunately to get donations from those who aren't givers by nature you may need to offer something guaranteed in return. Perhaps access to a special section of the website as other have mentioned, but the unfortunate part of that is you're essentially extracting money from the site (via lost traffic) to make the donation. So you're giving and not the other way around.

That said...

I'm not sure how much time remains before the school's deadline but if there are a few months one crazy thought I had was producing a ~200-300 piece MOC of some sort, perhaps a model of the St.Paul school along the line of the architecture series, packaged like a LEGO set (obviously not using any trademarks without permission). Perhaps host a competition on this site for users to submit designs and then the community could vote on the best (perhaps the winner gets a $500 prize if the set is produced). After a design is chosen allow users to submit graphics for the box and again have the community vote (perhaps the winner gets a $300 prize if the set is produced).

Hopefully the small pieces in an architecture type set could be bought in bulk relatively inexpensively and with a printed box and instructions the cost per unit could be kept under ~$20 and the full set sold for $49 + shipping with all proceeds going to this charity. Also, make it clear only a fixed number of these sets will ever be produced (say 3000) and take preorders. The preorders confirm if the set will be produced or not.

Biggest challenge with that idea would obviously be the time and resources needed to put together and ship 3K units like this and keeping cost down. But if a solution to that was found an "exclusive" set like this might motivate an audience like you have on this site. I know I would buy one and display it proudly. If the design is good I may even buy a second to resell for $150 in 3 years :P

Thanks for your post.  Adding the new sets will hopefully give people another reason to help out and might attract some new people who didn't like the other options.  I am counting on more support from hundreds of members who might have been waiting to participate for various reasons.  I am optimistic and if I can donate another thousand dollars in sets to make back three or four thousand dollars in raffle donations, it's worth it to me.  

I don't want to sound like a broken record or a jerk, but people can help with as little as $10.  That is chump change in comparison to what many on this site spend on LEGO sets.  Really, this site is filled with people with money...or they wouldn't be here...or shouldn't be here if they cannot afford $10 to support a good cause and this site.  Being smart with money means to invest in the future and what better way than to invest in quality schools.  Dummies don't buy LEGO sets...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Thanks for your post.  Adding the new sets will hopefully give people another reason to help out and might attract some new people who didn't like the other options.  I am counting on more support from hundreds of members who might have been waiting to participate for various reasons.  I am optimistic and if I can donate another thousand dollars in sets to make back three or four thousand dollars in raffle donations, it's worth it to me.  

I don't want to sound like a broken record or a jerk, but people can help with as little as $10.  That is chump change in comparison to what many on this site spend on LEGO sets.  Really, this site is filled with people with money...or they wouldn't be here...or shouldn't be here if they cannot afford $10 to support a good cause and this site.  Being smart with money means to invest in the future and what better way than to invest in quality schools.  Dummies don't buy LEGO sets...

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully these sets get the masses moving.

One thing I thought about is that Brickpickers that have a Target Red Card can specify St. Paul as their specified "Take Charge of Education" so that 1% of their purchases get donated. It's ending May of this year but could help out. Costs nothing but time to add the school to your Red Card account.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sflv said:

One thing I thought about is that Brickpickers that have a Target Red Card can specify St. Paul as their specified "Take Charge of Education" so that 1% of their purchases get donated. It's ending May of this year but could help out. Costs nothing but time to add the school to your Red Card account.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Target has stopped that program unfortunately.  At least that is what I was told by the school PTA.