Costco Canada Deals

Zender

Was just checking sold listings. People are being suckered into this, and it bugs the crap out of me. What's the most appropriate report to make on a listing like this in regards to their various drop down menus? 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lego-Technic-Bucket-Wheel-Excavator-42055-info-on-how-to-buy-for-239-tax-/122244666435?hash=item1c76599443:g:eBwAAOSwLF1YBXHk <-- this is a sold item, but it's not the first time I've seen people doing this. Asking for future reference. 

Hadn't grabbed any of these so far, but at that price it looks like the quick flip is a viable opportunity. Grabbed 2 to give it a go. They appear to be going at retail or just above fairly regularly. If folks hold to that price point we're all laughing! 

Edited by Zelgazra

18 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Was just checking sold listings. People are being suckered into this, and it bugs the crap out of me. What's the most appropriate report to make on a listing like this in regards to their various drop down menus? 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lego-Technic-Bucket-Wheel-Excavator-42055-info-on-how-to-buy-for-239-tax-/122244666435?hash=item1c76599443:g:eBwAAOSwLF1YBXHk <-- this is a sold item, but it's not the first time I've seen people doing this. Asking for future reference. 

Hadn't grabbed any of these so far, but at that price it looks like the quick flip is a viable opportunity. Grabbed 2 to give it a go. They appear to be going at retail or just above fairly regularly. If folks hold to that price point we're all laughing! 

I'm already laughing. Seems like you're a month behind the game. :) Imagine how many buyers you get if you drove to the border to ship. Just punch in 1000 orders in Niagara falls and cross the bridge and you are golden.

5 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

I'm already laughing. Seems like you're a month behind the game. :) Imagine how many buyers you get if you drove to the border to ship. Just punch in 1000 orders in Niagara falls and cross the bridge and you are golden.

I don't dabble in Technic much. It's not a theme I'm really into myself, and one of the things I learned here early on is to only buy things that are attractive to you... in case it goes t*ts up. For such a huge set, I imagine the buyers pool is smaller than your average $50-$100 set. At $100 off, it certainly felt like a good deal, but I wasn't confident. At $140 off, I'll check it out. It looks like they have loads of stock, so if I can flip em quick, I'll just buy more. 

I don't have a car, so driving over the border for deliveries is not an option for me. I'm also in Vancouver.... not sure why you've mentioned Niagra, maybe you got me confused with someone else. 

Edited by Zelgazra

12 hours ago, eliminator said:

Poofed, got my fill of three with rebates and amazon reward card.

11 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I don't dabble in Technic much. It's not a theme I'm really into myself, and one of the things I learned here early on is to only buy things that are attractive to you... in case it goes t*ts up. For such a huge set, I imagine the buyers pool is smaller than your average $50-$100 set. At $100 off, it certainly felt like a good deal, but I wasn't confident. At $140 off, I'll check it out. It looks like they have loads of stock, so if I can flip em quick, I'll just buy more. 

I don't have a car, so driving over the border for deliveries is not an option for me. I'm also in Vancouver.... not sure why you've mentioned Niagra, maybe you got me confused with someone else. 

I meant people living by the borders. Being in Vancouver, the trip to Blaine is now pain-free and the border has barely any lineups, you might be able to cross the border faster than the guys with the Nexus card.

You might not be into Technic. I am into this stuff. You should check out some of the older cranes to see how cranes fair EOL. Just because one person isn't into technic doesn't mean the entire population. When I look at the shelf and see Ninjago and Nexo Knights, to me that stuff is really junk. Might not be junk to others. It's personal preference.

I guess you haven't seen the Crawler Crane or Arocs with the GBC contraption yet. Go look them up on youtube and you might change your mind about technic. The Arocs is a hotter set than what some people think here. Lots of Engineers scooped up the Arocs to build their own custom GBC set.

This might not belong here but is worth a look for those slagging technic sets. This December has been fruitful in terms of arocs sales. At least for me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

Poofed, got my fill of three with rebates and amazon reward card.

I meant people living by the borders. Being in Vancouver, the trip to Blaine is now pain-free and the border has barely any lineups, you might be able to cross the border faster than the guys with the Nexus card.

You might not be into Technic. I am into this stuff. You should check out some of the older cranes to see how cranes fair EOL. Just because one person isn't into technic doesn't mean the entire population. When I look at the shelf and see Ninjago and Nexo Knights, to me that stuff is really junk. Might not be junk to others. It's personal preference.

I guess you haven't seen the Crawler Crane or Arocs with the GBC contraption yet. Go look them up on youtube and you might change your mind about technic. The Arocs is a hotter set than what some people think here. Lots of Engineers scooped up the Arocs to build their own custom GBC set.

This might not belong here but is worth a look for those slagging technic sets. This December has been fruitful in terms of arocs sales. At least for me.

Thank you very much for sharing this! I wasn't aware of this and I'm absolutely impressed by GBC! I'm gonna start a similar one : 

18 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

We actually have something in common..........?

21 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

If you don't have a car, how do you carry a Sandcrawler home if someone offered you one at their cost price from TRU Black Friday sale? Maybe you should consider investing in a car before buying more lego? Selling lego by meeting people at skytrain stations without a car can be a bad experience in the snowy weather. Imagine if those people from CL are no-shows. Or imagine carrying that Sandcrawler from Metrotown to Commercial Drive and some guy rolling their luggage crushes your mint box?

1 hour ago, IAmElim said:

Thank you very much for sharing this! I wasn't aware of this and I'm absolutely impressed by GBC! I'm gonna start a similar one : 

Imagine if you cleaned a bunch of Arocs last year from Costco, you will be laughing to the bank now. Keep looking for GBC videos on Youtube. That market is bigger than what you think. Wait about another year and there will be a bucketwheel conversion to GBC. You can go email the engineers. They are located in the Netherlands. The demand for the bucketwheel will start spiking. Take it for what it's worth. 199CAD for the bucketwheel will be a steal this time next year.

I'm in very good shape. It's called using your arms... get this; you put the set in this thing called a bag... then you walk with it!! Nuts right? Mind blown??

Edit: In seriousness though, it's a lifestyle choice... So I'd get the set off a BPer the same way I collected my other big sets from Oakridge.... put them in a large lego shopping bag, and walk the 200M from the shop to the skytrain, sit for 20 minutes. Walk the 200M to the Seabus at Waterfront, sit for 15 minutes. Walk the 100M from the Seabus to the bus at the Quay, sit for 5 minutes. Walk the 100M from the bus stop to my door. Admire/inspect lego purchase before putting on shelf.

If you live without a car, you learn how to deal with transit. Just think of all the extra sets you could buy monthly if you weren't paying insurance and gas for a vehicle! You just couldn't do the border trick as easily, which I suppose is how you make your money. Most of us don't take that route anyway, car availability or not. 

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

This might not belong here but is worth a look for those slagging technic sets.

Just saw this earlier post... Just want to clarify, personally not slagging Technic at all. I have great respect for it, and the advanced creations it can produce, but the (potentially finicky) building style doesn't really appeal to me. As such, it's a market I haven't done much research into. Not suggesting I don't buy any though. I've got a couple of Arocs and a couple of 24Hrs in the closet, soon to be joined by a pair of BWEs. Just pales in comparison to my UCS/Modular stock levels of similar price points. I build and love modulars, so that's what I got into first. Only been at this a year and a bit, and only so much money to diversify with... I'm slowly spreading my assortment to other themes, Technic has just been on the back burner for me is all. 

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

Just saw this earlier post... Just want to clarify, personally not slagging Technic at all. I have great respect for it, and the advanced creations it can produce, but the (potentially finicky) building style doesn't really appeal to me. As such, it's a market I haven't done much research into. Not suggesting I don't buy any though. I've got a couple of Arocs and a couple of 24Hrs in the closet, soon to be joined by a pair of BWEs. Just pales in comparison to my UCS/Modular stock levels of similar price points. I build and love modulars, so that's what I got into first. Only been at this a year and a bit, and only so much money to diversify with... I'm slowly spreading my assortment to other themes, Technic has just been on the back burner for me is all. 

You just need to pick the right ones to invest in. All cranes are winners, especially yellow ones. Look at the ones that were retired 3 years ago. If you have a shot at getting the Volvo on sale, that would be the one to clean. It went on sale only once about a year or so ago for 249 on Amazon.ca. Kicking myself for only getting one, that thing is never on sale.

2 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I'm in very good shape. It's called using your arms... get this; you put the set in this thing called a bag... then you walk with it!! Nuts right? Mind blown??

Edit: In seriousness though, it's a lifestyle choice... So I'd get the set off a BPer the same way I collected my other big sets from Oakridge.... put them in a large lego shopping bag, and walk the 200M from the shop to the skytrain, sit for 20 minutes. Walk the 200M to the Seabus at Waterfront, sit for 15 minutes. Walk the 100M from the Seabus to the bus at the Quay, sit for 5 minutes. Walk the 100M from the bus stop to my door. Admire/inspect lego purchase before putting on shelf.

If you live without a car, you learn how to deal with transit. Just think of all the extra sets you could buy monthly if you weren't paying insurance and gas for a vehicle! You just couldn't do the border trick as easily, which I suppose is how you make your money. Most of us don't take that route anyway, car availability or not. 

It's hard to expand your lego business with all that work.Count how much time is wasted. Over one hour of commute. Imagine if you loaded up 2 R2D2 last year from the lego store with double vip and gingerbread house. You had to make a trip which might be 2 hours in total. You would make about $150/hour, that is good return on investment. On the other hand, if you picked up 2 Tower of Orthancs, that 2 hours of work is worth less than $30/hour. Might as well just go work at Cactus Club for 2 hours, check out some hot waitresses and pocket $100 worth of tips.

Forgot to mention, listing time, posting on CL/Ebay, packing and going to the post office. You need to think like a businessman. How much are you making per hour. What about storage fees? Might want to reconsider your time and cost. That commute to oakridge is rather costly.

Edited by ChristopherJB

Certainly things to consider if I want to grow this past the point I'm at already. However, at this stage in my game, I'm quite comfortable if I can maintain the level of business I've been getting the past few months. Much more volume and really would feel like a small business, and not as much a monetarily rewarding hobby as it is now. I'm still getting basic enjoyment out of selling and packing and shipping, so I don't factor in "paying myself"... I go to work for that. Depends who you are and what you're aiming for, each to their own of course.

After 16 months of selling, I'm more than paying for my personal builds, which was what I set out to do. I actually just broke $5k in pure profit with a sale today, so quite pleased with that! Minimizing my travel time to and from Oakridge is low on my priority list. The round trip from door to door usually takes me 75-80 minutes, it's not too bad for the infrequent trips I take over there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Certainly things to consider if I want to grow this past the point I'm at already. However, at this stage in my game, I'm quite comfortable if I can maintain the level of business I've been getting the past few months. Much more volume and really would feel like a small business, and not as much a monetarily rewarding hobby as it is now. I'm still getting basic enjoyment out of selling and packing and shipping, so I don't factor in "paying myself"... I go to work for that. Depends who you are and what you're aiming for, each to their own of course.

After 16 months of selling, I'm more than paying for my personal builds, which was what I set out to do. I actually just broke $5k in pure profit with a sale today, so quite pleased with that! Minimizing my travel time to and from Oakridge is low on my priority list. The round trip from door to door usually takes me 75-80 minutes, it's not too bad for the infrequent trips I take over there. 

+1  there are many ways to invest depending on what you want to get out of it.

Some are only about pure profit some are happy to sell to just cover the cost of their expensive hobby.

Some people are seeing Costco clearing out the City Fire Station set that they have at $49.97. I think it was originally at Costco for $69.97? Not a bad deal if you can find it at your nearest Costco. I am stuck at work so I can't personally verify this deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YYZ said:

Some people are seeing Costco clearing out the City Fire Station set that they have at $49.97. I think it was originally at Costco for $69.97? Not a bad deal if you can find it at your nearest Costco. I am stuck at work so I can't personally verify this deal. 

Thanks for the heads up! Got to my costco just in time ... left 4 for timmy