71014 - Minifigures - DFB German Football Team

TheOrcKing

Trying to "give back" in a way, here is some info I gathered during the last couple of days and many phone calls as well as mail conversations:

- Most German shops - online or offline - have limits for the number of bags to be sold to one customer: The lowest number I heard was 5 bags, the highest was "30".
- Getting sealed boxes at MSRP is nearly impossible. Getting one or more ABOVE MSRP is easier, of course. But "never pay above retail"-guys like me have a hard time in this case.
- From two different sources I was told that every ToysRus shop in Germany will get 2.000 bags (at an average). No ToysRus I contacted was ready to sell sealed boxes.
- From another source I heard that smaller shops are being delivered a certain amount of boxes based on their general revenue. Furthermore most orders from smaller shops seem to have been made at the beginning of the year. No new orders possible.
- Spielemax stores: no clue about how many they get or when the get them
- Karstadt stores: no clue about how many they get or when the get them
- Rossmann stores: no clue about how many they get or when the get them

My personal estimation is: prices will go up to 5x MSRP in a few years due to incredibly high demand and only 2.2 million bags produced. What I don't get is why LEGO produce such a low number in comparison to the demand? This way they give the secondary market a huge uplift - why did they not cash in themselves?

1 minute ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Trying to "give back" in a way, here is some info I gathered during the last couple of days and many phone calls as well as mail conversations:

- Most German shops - online or offline - have limits for the number of bags to be sold to one customer: The lowest number I heard was 5 bags, the highest was "30".
- Getting sealed boxes at MSRP is nearly impossible. Getting one or more ABOVE MSRP is easier, of course. But "never pay above retail"-guys like me have a hard time in this case.
- From two different sources I was told that every ToysRus shop in Germany will get 2.000 bags (at an average). No ToysRus I contacted was ready to sell sealed boxes.
- From another source I heard that smaller shops are being delivered a certain amount of boxes based on their general revenue. Furthermore most orders from smaller shops seem to have been made at the beginning of the year. No new orders possible.

My personal estimation is: prices will go up to 5x MSRP in a few years due to incredibly high demand and only 2.2 million bags produced. What I don't get is why LEGO produce such a low number in comparison to the demand? This way they give the secondary market a huge uplift - why did they not cash in themselves? Moreover many fans will be disappointed, especially all those who get many "5-time" figures. Only 80 % of the available figures "belong" to complete sets. For 20 % of the figures on the market there are not enough other players' figures left to get a complete set. This was different with the regular minifigures series that were available long and plenty enough to complete a set. Or Lego has produced some different boxes that contain different figure distributions to eliminate the "20 % problem" - which I think is unlikely.

14 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

My personal estimation is: prices will go up to 5x MSRP in a few years due to incredibly high demand and only 2.2 million bags produced. What I don't get is why LEGO produce such a low number in comparison to the demand? This way they give the secondary market a huge uplift - why did they not cash in themselves?

Thanks for the info.

LEGO cashes in on every set (well, except AoH) so it just seems that they set aside certain amount of production capacity and that was it. Maybe their marketing team assessed demand earlier in the year when the football season just started rather than at the end when it gets interesting (correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like 'high season' for Football here in Europe).

Dunno, but either way I agree that they could have probably tripled the output and still cashed in. I hope I can snag a set for a reasonable price. My son will crap his pants when he sees them... (Manuel Neuer is his favorite player)

25 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I have tried in another shop and get a box at 143 Euro (!) because of Payback points... It seems that this retailer has no limits at all... Now you can guess which one. :-)

(One remark - they have cut the sails to count the polybags inside :mad: And imagine, there were 60 inside...)

Edited by mauro23

21 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I can confirm all of that. No chance to get a sealed display in the stores. I was able to get 12 (Limit) in store today, ordered another 12 at the same store online. My hamsters ordered several too. Just bought a Display for 280€ on ebay just in case ;)

Minifig count so far:

24 + 60 (Display)

Bricklink prices hover around 300€. I'm sure you'd still get a profit out of them, but paying 5€ per piece is too much imo.

4 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

I have tried in another shop and get a box at 143 Euro (!) because of Payback points... It seems that this retailer has no limits at all... Now you can guess which one. :-)

(One remark - they have cut the sails to count the polybags inside :mad: And imagine, there were 60 inside...)

The good thing about this series is they can't swap duplicate minifigs as it is very hard to smoosh them. Well except for Löw maybe :derisive:

3 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I dont thinnk that they produce not much bags... 2,2 million bags mean approximately 36 000 boxes, i.e. more than 100 000 complete series. It is not much for whole world, but enough for Germany. Who would like to have these soccer players outside Germany, beside resellers? There is not so many fans of german team in the world, it is not like Man UTD or Barcelona, which have fans also in Asia, etc. Plus the figs are very simply, they use just 3 kinds of hair and face, they dont look like real german players. I expect rise of the value, but not extreme.  I still dont understand why TLG didnt utilize the potential of EURO and didnt make a serie with players from all participants of EURO - 24 figs, from each team the biggest star. It would rise a demand at least in Europe extremly. Why they make just a german team? They are not the hosts, as UK was in Olympics 2012, when TLG created home sportsmen.

4 hours ago, gregpj said:

Thanks for the info.

LEGO cashes in on every set (well, except AoH) so it just seems that they set aside certain amount of production capacity and that was it. Maybe their marketing team assessed demand earlier in the year when the football season just started rather than at the end when it gets interesting (correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like 'high season' for Football here in Europe).

Dunno, but either way I agree that they could have probably tripled the output and still cashed in. I hope I can snag a set for a reasonable price. My son will crap his pants when he sees them... (Manuel Neuer is his favorite player)

In Germany football "high season" goes on for about 365 days a year. There doesn't have to be no Championshi tournament or Cup final going on for people to go crazy about anything football. But when World or European Championships are going on, the already existent craziness is even bigger - in supermarkets you'll find 50 out of 100 products to be branded/modified with something football-related, be it sausages, beer, toilet paper (in that order) or whatever.

A Manuel Neuer fan would now buy Candy bars, waffle bars, Milk drinks, chocolate bars and always get some fan service on or inside the package like player cards, stickers and so on. It's like you automatically get something collectible by buying a random something although you didn't even care about the goodie...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

In Germany football "high season" goes on for about 365 days a year. There doesn't have to be no Championshi tournament or Cup final going on for people to go crazy about anything football. But when World or European Championships are going on, the already existent craziness is even bigger - in supermarkets you'll find 50 out of 100 products to be branded/modified with something football-related, be it sausages, beer, toilet paper (in that order) or whatever.

A Manuel Neuer fan would now buy Candy bars, waffle bars, Milk drinks, chocolate bars and always get some fan service on or inside the package like player cards, stickers and so on. It's like you automatically get something collectible by buying a random something although you didn't even care about the goodie...

atleast on a leap year there is 1 day off. 

7 hours ago, mesje said:

Who would like to have these soccer players outside Germany, beside resellers? There is not so many fans of german team in the world, it is not like Man UTD or Barcelona, which have fans also in Asia, etc. Plus the figs are very simply, they use just 3 kinds of hair and face, they dont look like real german players. I expect rise of the value, but not extreme. 

You're forgetting some things:

a) there are a huge amount of minifigures collectors out there who want these even if they have zero affection for football. 

b ) there are a huge amount of football lovers out there who have Lego as a hobby and are thrilled Lego is doing something that relates to their hobby. 

c) Germany won the last World Cup and are current world champions. I'm a Belgian and support my national team but as a football lover der mannschaft makes 

my heart beat a bit faster, just like it does for Brazil, Argentina, Spain, etc etc... It's one of the best football teams in the world... 

• Like 1

According to Hothbricks these are going to be sold outside of Germany, Austria and Switzerland in limited quantities at the official Lego stores. 20 figures per customer max. 600 figures per store only. I presume it is EU only.

The Lego stores in Germany, Austria and Switzerland receive 1200 figures per Lego Store.

These will be gone in a matter of days if that is really the only production run.

9 hours ago, BP said:

You're forgetting some things:

a) there are a huge amount of minifigures collectors out there who want these even if they have zero affection for football. 

b ) there are a huge amount of football lovers out there who have Lego as a hobby and are thrilled Lego is doing something that relates to their hobby. 

c) Germany won the last World Cup and are current world champions. I'm a Belgian and support my national team but as a football lover der mannschaft makes 

my heart beat a bit faster, just like it does for Brazil, Argentina, Spain, etc etc... It's one of the best football teams in the world... 

...very true indeed!... I am not a football fan, BUT a huge Lego/CMF collector... that is why I've started my search how to acquire a complete set (open, of course) to display... hope I get lucky... maybe someone out there is willing to sell an extra set at a decent price...