Nexo Knights 2016

TheOrcKing

I couldn´t find any thread or sub forum for this theme anywhere so created one myself.

What is the word on the street about this new theme? Are kids going for it in a big way? Empty aisles or on clearance? Are any particular sets or figures popular or is it too soon to tell? Does it have potential for investment?

I received a promo pack from TRU the other day with some sort of DVD and backstory explanation but haven´t looked at it yet.

It´s always interesting to hear opinions, especially from those with kids as these new themes are often shaky to start out, especially if there is no marketing.

I had high hopes for this theme and I bought all the sets, but something about it just doesn't feel right, I'm not sure what it is. I haven't watched any of the cartoons yet though, maybe I should. I imagine I wouldn't like any of the Star Wars sets if I never watched the movies. If the show fails to continue airing years from now, will kids still want it if they don't know what it is? It's not very much of an adult theme so the kids will have to want it. I'd rank this above Chima of course, but that isn't saying much. I think these are ones that will have to be bought at a good discount just to ensure you can at least break even no problem if the value of these sets post production doesn't move much. If this line does continue years into the future though, these may not be all that bad of an investment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, capsa77 said:

I had high hopes for this theme and I bought all the sets, but something about it just doesn't feel right, I'm not sure what it is. I haven't watched any of the cartoons yet though, maybe I should. I imagine I wouldn't like any of the Star Wars sets if I never watched the movies. If the show fails to continue airing years from now, will kids still want it if they don't know what it is? It's not very much of an adult theme so the kids will have to want it. I'd rank this above Chima of course, but that isn't saying much. I think these are ones that will have to be bought at a good discount just to ensure you can at least break even no problem if the value of these sets post production doesn't move much. If this line does continue years into the future though, these may not be all that bad of an investment.

Chima, Ninjago, Galaxy Squad, Atlantis, Ultra Agents, LEGO Movie, Castle, Pirates, I'd look at the trajectory of some of those themes

37 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Chima, Ninjago, Galaxy Squad, Atlantis, Ultra Agents, LEGO Movie, Castle, Pirates, I'd look at the trajectory of some of those themes

From my POV, I´d agree but what do the little ones think? Friends really tapped into a whole new sector of the market for Lego and put pressure on Mattel and Hasbro´s doll lines.

18 minutes ago, Val-E said:

From my POV, I´d agree but what do the little ones think? Friends really tapped into a whole new sector of the market for Lego and put pressure on Mattel and Hasbro´s doll lines.

My girls have been lukewarm on them. They've looked at them, but have been more interested in other stuff including Minecraft, Elves, Super Heroes, and Star Wars. I refuse to buy them minecraft.

Yeah... I'm not so sure about the theme.  My 7-year-old loves it, but he still loves his Ninjago as well. He likes the bad guys... the lava... the evil book... all that kind of stuff.  But - as other critics have noted here - I think the theme... the whole story line... is a bit weak. Comparing the two... Ninjago is about the land of Ninjago and our heros the Ninja.  We all kind of understand what ninja are already... they do martial arts. In their mystical land, it's not too far-a-stretch to imagine they may have mythical enemies, and some control over natural elements like fire, water, etc.  It's just kind of a basic "good ninja against evil" story.  One of the great things about Ninjago is that each new season brings a new enemy clan... skeletons, snakes, fighting androids, sky pirates, etc.  Always something new. The Nexo Kingdom is a bit more confusing... medieval knights protecting the kingdom from an evil court jester with an evil book. Whereas the jester uses evil magic, the knights depend on software and downloads to achieve their potential. They live in a world where everything is futuristic, except their clothes, and their weapons which are mostly swords, axes, and the like. And though they have swords and axes, they never stab or cut anything... they use them like baseball bats. Even the land of Chima made more sense than the land of Nexo Knights.  Of course I'm a cynical grownup... maybe Lego will keep pushing it until every kid wants it... but I just don't know if the story is engaging enough to keep kids coming back year after year, the way Ninjago has.

My son loves the nexo Knights sets. He is 5 and has the app that goes with it. He still likes ninjago better, and I even like ninjago. He hated Chima though.

the nexo Knights seem great for kids. The sets tie in with the story as ninjago did, there are cool bad guys, and the sets have lots of neat parts and stuff to them. The story is not bad either. I don't have cable so I purchased the season for $14 on vudu and even my 9 year old daughter likes it as there is a princess knight :)

since I have made most my reselling money off older ninjago sets like the dragons I bought for $20 and sold for over $100, I will watch for some of these on clearence and hold them until they go to Netflix and new kids want them. With that said some of these sets are not great, so I will have to choose carefully or use them to make a giant nexo knight village :)

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, macpro76 said:

dont know how I feel about Nexo knights.  Would like to get 2-3 Fortrexs at $79 and a few Jestros , but not  sure. 

your thoughts? 

If you feel that that is the right investment to make, by all means, go ahead. From what I've seen you post earlier you are one of the investors on this forum for whom invested capital is easy to get by so by all means take a gamble if you think this has potential. For those of us on a limited budget, I think there are better sets to get for that money.

3 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

I love seeing these at a discount (for my own kid) ... but I think this is an indicator that this theme is off to a slow start, and needs a "boost" to move some inventory.

My 8-year old has 4 eps queued up.  I keep reminding him, but he's in no hurry to watch them apparently.  This is from a kid who still watches Chima from time-to-time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Phil B said:

If you feel that that is the right investment to make, by all means, go ahead. From what I've seen you post earlier you are one of the investors on this forum for whom invested capital is easy to get by so by all means take a gamble if you think this has potential. For those of us on a limited budget, I think there are better sets to get for that money.

what are those "better sets"? :)  limited budget or not.  

• Like 1