Nexo Knights 2016

TheOrcKing

• 2 weeks later...

No clue on the investing aspect of nexo knight but my I think it bad and to stay away from it. I went to a Lego store and they were bragging how nexo knights were great sellers and they were putting them on a discount to help the customers. 

They have a sale on the TLG website but when I went to the store, literally everything that was nexo knights set was 20% off.

Edited by Armor

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone getting any more vibes on this theme for possible profit? The more I look at it, the more interesting it is. I kind of like the little fire goblins or whatever the heck they are. The sales numbers on Amazon seem OK (much better than Chima, not as good as Ninjago), but after the Chima fiasco, the recent Ninjago blahs, and line failures like Galaxy Squad and Alien Conquest, I am very very wary of the original IP. 

My gut feeling is to stay away for investment, but I WANT to like them.

49 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Anyone getting any more vibes on this theme for possible profit? The more I look at it, the more interesting it is. I kind of like the little fire goblins or whatever the heck they are. The sales numbers on Amazon seem OK (much better than Chima, not as good as Ninjago), but after the Chima fiasco, the recent Ninjago blahs, and line failures like Galaxy Squad and Alien Conquest, I am very very wary of the original IP. 

I would stay far away from these unless they have a significant (~50%) markdown. Original IP's from LEGO tend not to appreciate very well as they are just an average toy. The average set is pretty cool in general, but the average set also never appreciates to more than its MSRP. 

If you need more examples of poor investment lines (can still get acquire used sets for less than MSRP, new sets for around MSRP), there are plenty. Agents, Alpha Team, Elves, Ninjago, Power Miners, Speed Champs, Galaxy Squad, Mars MIssion, you name it. There are swaths of kinda cool but not especially notable sets, hence why they're only worth picking up (if at all) at deep discounts. 

In these themes there are zero to two sets that appreciate (if at all), and there has to be something special about them. The older themes even have scarcity on their side, which is not true of any recently produced set. 

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

I own and have built with my son, 4 sets.  clay's rumble blade and the fortrex standout big time in this series and are excellent sets in every aspect but unless something drastically changes with the cartoon, I don't see these as great investments.  i'd follow the chima rule, wait for at least 70% clearance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2015 at 11:45 PM, Locutus001 said:

I don't thing it's gonna be a future (sci-fi) theme but rather an alternative reality (fantasy) theme.

So I'm hoping for the steam punk thingy ;-)

If the admin will get me through, you can see my MOCs and MODs, I also am in the process of making a LEGO table top RPG. So the story of the game is a homage to Fallout's Brotherhood of Steel, which means that modern technology is forgotten and this kingdom is founded from the former technologically advanced world. They also look for lost technology and fight factions that will get on their way. So the faction's weapons, aparatus, etc are steampunk/medieval-ish hybrid style of sort. The photo below is an example.

2.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had my kid with me when I checked out a rural Wal-Mart during the clearance. They spotted the Fortrex for 49 and clenched it tight. I'm as soft as a grape, so we bought it. We just built it. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It was a really fun build and has outstanding playability. Lots of firing mechanisms.

Nexo Knights are gaining popularity, with the TV show likely being the big catalyst IMO (my kid hasn't actually watched it since we're cord cutters, but their friends have). The kids are also hooked on the app and pretending to be the different Knights when they're outside playing. I think there's an opportunity for investment with the Fortrex if you sell into the holiday season. The Fortrex is a big part of the storyline in the cartoon and the app. 

As for the other 1st gen sets, I'm not so sure about investment... unless you bought them at a discount. 

Either way, I'll buy these up for the kids and for gifts when the sets go on clearance.

Edited by P_R_Rice
  • Like 3

My 6 year old is obsessed with this line, so it looks like I will be buying the Fortrex for Christmas.  He also asked for the Merlock's library addition.  I was shocked when it ran for $40-50 on eBay.  Lo and behold I double-checked Lego LEGO Shop at Home, and it was on sale a few days ago for $19.99.  If you can get it even lower, might not be a bad investment.

Deep down, though, it is killing me to not buy him a classic castle set.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...