10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Point is that all that were snatched up yesterday, will take years to resell online at 2x.

It's pretty darn hard to land 8 DS's at B&N using the tricks described by some here.  Unless, of course you have multiple accounts and somewhat cheated their system and broke their membership agreement. 

many ways and many years to get these at a good enough discount to be making decent money at $500 a set.  

Have some open mindedness and don't accuse people of cheating systems when you have no clue how or where they were purchased.

Back then DS & R2 were not excluded from BN coupons.  BN added exclusion 1 month or 2 later, presumably in response to people using this particular technique

Yep, exactly.  But those times are long since gone.  Now, you can't use discounts at B&N, unless of course you use gift cards, and the standard 10% membership card.  Unfortunately, I live in a state with a high sales tax, so the B&N discount is pretty much wiped out by sales tax. 

And yes, I read have read the posts on here about how some obtained DS's at B&N.  Some promoted cheating the system there, and they eventually caught on and shut it down.   The posts are on this site.

• Like 1

After the no discount rule, I think only place is B&N ?

There were other ways to get discounts, including rewards programs.

Point is that all that were snatched up yesterday, will take years to resell online at 2x.

We have no idea if the DS will or won't track in the aftermarket like the SSD.

I have only been in the lego game for about 7 months and only have 4 death stars,  but even I have found ways to get the 4 for $250 on average.

I would love to hear how anyone bought a new DS for $250 in the past 12 months.  Yes, several years ago they actually went on sale.  But since the 'no discounts on exclusives policy' went into effect?  It's hard to take seriously such claims.

• Like 1

Yes alot of us were getting the DS for $262 and the R2 Droid for $120-127 from Barnes and noble, and when Toys R US had those buy 2 get one free exclusives use to be included, so DS were about $260 or so.

I got these until the BN employees started noticing and on my last, failed attempt they told me a tragic tale of how this guy kept coming in and getting cheap R2s and DS.  It was me fools!!!

• Like 1

I would love to hear how anyone bought a new DS for $250 in the past 12 months.  Yes, several years ago they actually went on sale.  But since the 'no discounts on exclusives policy' went into effect?  It's hard to take seriously such claims.

$150 in TRU Rewards, Boom!

• Like 1

blah blah blah. everyone here will make money, some more, some less, but if this thing is truly gone it will be in $600-$700 range by xmas. its not like its only the most significant space craft in all of star wars. even if they do remake the death star and its of the same size, its not going to be OT.not to mention that if the new one has a similar piece count it will be at least $499 MSRP if not more.

Edited by jerryherb

I guess this will be the busiest thread on the site very soon.

Sure, but last year you said that in the TH thread, and that turned out to be much ado about nothing.  Here we are a year later, and everyday I walk by a stack of MISB Town Halls that no one's buying.  (Granted they're in my closet, but still...)

• Like 2

A couple of things

There are many today who would be clamoring to buy them now at msrp in the us if they could it is already rising.
Everything is relative.

Second Ed Mack posted yesterday about his lesson of not buying two more of the UCS MF when they were still there.  I started off yesterday buying 2 at MSRP no tax.  Then I saw his post and it reminded me of his lament and I got 2 more.  Then I thought more and got 2 more.  Did I pay retail ? Sure  Do I have a bunch before these? sure  Were they discounted ? Yes, Are these Discounted ? No , as it stands today 24 hours and msrp looks pretty good.  Other friends I know bought them from various places at large discounts yesterday.  I am happy and at peace with my decision.

This is a great day in Lego and Star Wars history.  It may be a huge win, I think this Christmas the price on these will skyrocket.  Could I be wrong ? Sure and if so that is fine. I do not understand all the negativity about it.  Cheer up.  This is a great day in history whether you have 0, 1 or 500 of them.

• Like 3

Thats like sandbagging it.

If that Logic is ok, then i got 2 of them for Free.  yes.  Free.

That's awesome!!!  Is it also sandbagging it if you apply gas rewards, or if you go into a store with a milk coupon and they give you 20% off?

Edited by exciter1

I dunno, I'm glad I got mine at the eleventh hour. That was money not tied up and inventory sitting for years. Yes I paid full price but I like trek have no regrets. I'm still a newbie, so all of my inventory is recently retired. I like this set way better than SSD, as the playability factor is big. I have one in my personal collection .This set screams play with me. The SSD is more of a decorative piece. Everyone should buy what they can buy, at their own pace and discretion. Like I said before, I only buy what I like.